Kubota Pokey

/ Kubota Pokey #1  

ValGilbert

Tractor
Kabota B7100
Hi, I recently bought a Kubota B7100. I don't remember the year but it is an older model. I am a horseman and thought it would be fun to turn the Kubota into a "Pokey" so my daughter painted a mane and eyes. I added a forelock and tail. A Pokey rides on the steering wheel and a Gumby hangs from his tail. I am definitely on a learning curve right now as I figure out the angles I need to put the gannon box in order to level and rip a couple inches. As of now I often end up with mountains and craters when the tire goes in a little hole from a horse the box goes up dumping the dirt only to in a few feet the box goes down and digs deep as the hind tire ends in the same hole. So I definitely have to figure that out. As well as while going around the round pen to not have the dirt pile up around the edge. I want to be able to move dirt into holes the horses will create from rolling or digging or just nervous new horses that pace back and forth. I am finding the gear that raises and lowers the box sometimes gets stuck and goes on auto pilot and continues to raise and lower after I release. My friend who spent months taking apart the whole tractor and rebuilding it to be sure it was all safe said it might just need some oiling. So hopefully that will be fixed. I just need to really learn the angles. I saw a few threads on this subject and will be studying more. Thank you for having such a great site that obviously has a lot of great information from people who know.

/ Kubota Pokey #2  
Welcome,

If you have a float capability*, it will let the box follow the ground level, not the tractor level. You may then have to adjust your top link so the box doesn't cut too much or too little.

Bruce

*Some will float if you hold the handle down

/ Kubota Pokey
Thank you Bruce. I don't think it has float. I drove a bobcat a while that had float. It has tip & tilt but no float. If you leave handle pushed down it just whines at you. Right now after I make too much of a mess & its over 100 here so don't want to run in heat too long, I have a triangle heavy metal drag I used to pull behind my truck. I just pull that behind Pokey & it fixes most of my craters to only valleys. Eventually I hope to not use that much.

/ Kubota Pokey #4  
   / Kubota Pokey
Great. Thank you. I will pass this info on to Dave who did all the safety repairs on the tractor.

/ Kubota Pokey #6  
Welcome aboard. It would be in your best interest to obtain an Operator's Manual for your make and model.

/ Kubota Pokey
Yes. The man who did the makeover has it. I didn't read it yet. Will soon. Most often manuals read like manuals though. I didn't figure it would have info on angles. But I might be wrong. As soon as he done with all repairs I will sit and go through the manual. Thank you very much.

/ Kubota Pokey #8  
Welcome to TractorByNet!

I moved your thread to the Kubota Owning & Operating forum. :)

/ Kubota Pokey
Thank you Briana.

/ Kubota Pokey #10  
Using a box blade takes some practice, and the technique you end up using is often something you figure out based on how the tractor works. Your 3 point lift should hold a fixed position so the blade won't drop any further but it should allow the blade (or whatever attachment you're using) to lift if it goes over something. The top link can be adjusted... shortening it makes the blade dig in more when you're going forward; lengthening it makes the blade better at smoothing out loose material.

One technique for getting rid of ruts and humps is to use a criss-cross pattern as you work an area so you're not tracking over the same dips and rises with each pass. And for really deep ruts, it pays to put the scarifiers down and loosen up several inches of material so you can fill the "box" and relocate it into the low spots.

Explaining all this is difficult... kind of like learning to ride a bike by reading a book... it's something you best learn through practice.