Kubota TLB owners and experiences?

/ Kubota TLB owners and experiences? #1  

L47TLBwannabe

Silver Member
Tractor
Kioti CK3510HSE
Just wondering if there are any Kubota TLB owners here? I have been looking at getting myself a Kubota L45 or larger for a couple years now. I've hummed and hawwed partly because Kubota still refuses to put a factory cab on these machines, and because I've spent the last 20 years operating excavators ranging in size from 1.5 tonne to over 90 tonne as well just about anything else that can move dirt. For the quiet months when the ground is too frozen to be dug up I'm planning on getting a wood processor and selling processed firewood. I have a friend that cuts cordwood and said he could supply me with whatever I need.
For attachments or implements I'm thinking about a bushhog style mower, box blade (heavy-duty), forks (maybe) or some kind of log grapple. For the backhoe I'll likely get a 24" tooth bucket and maybe a 30" or 32" tilt style ditching bucket if not just a clean up bucket.

/ Kubota TLB owners and experiences? #2  
Brand new B26 owner. Also plan on using brush cutter, back blade, forks, receiver hitch on fork attach plate to move trailers. Have 18 inch bucket. Would like to get a ditching bucket also a thumb. Using the B26 to replace a mini ex which I recently sold. Just wasnt using enough to justify. Needed a digger which would provide other uses. Priced the three point hitch system today. Ouch! Didn't think it was that pricey.

/ Kubota TLB owners and experiences? #3  
Love my B26 ...if you don't mind spending the extra $$$$ certainly go for the TLB series and then go work it hard without fear.
Getting the full remote hydraulics package, the thumb and any other factory extras.

/ Kubota TLB owners and experiences?
I won't be getting a thumb I've used them lots over the years and I find I have it folded up more than anything and it gets in the way when I'm using a wrist bucket which I use more often than anything else.

/ Kubota TLB owners and experiences? #5  
M59 here so far so good! Added a Laurin cab and winter is enjoyable now to.

/ Kubota TLB owners and experiences? #6  
I won't be getting a thumb I've used them lots over the years and I find I have it folded up more than anything and it gets in the way when I'm using a wrist bucket which I use more often than anything else.

Spend the money and get a hydraulic thumb, it is worth the cost and it completely folds out of the way when not needed. I would not mess with a manual thumb just for the reason you listed, but with the hydraulic thumb, you can fold it flat against the dipper when not needed, then extend it to pick up a rock or other object and toss it out of your way. I wouldn't be without it on my B26.
Depending on your needs, the B26 may be all the TLB you need. I am amazed at the amount of work it can do for such a small hoe. IMG_1092.JPG Notice how it is folded out of the way in the photo.

/ Kubota TLB owners and experiences? #7  
No cruise control on the TLBs (that I could find anyway on machine or in manual). If you are mowing a bunch you will probably want it.

/ Kubota TLB owners and experiences? #8  
No cruise control on the TLBs (that I could find anyway on machine or in manual). If you are mowing a bunch you will probably want it.

Thats what I wish for too. The WSM references cruise control and there Appears to be a wiring harness for one. Id love to find out if I can simply buy the controls from a different model and just plug it in.

/ Kubota TLB owners and experiences? #9  
Just wondering if there are any Kubota TLB owners here? I have been considering a Kubota L45 or larger for a couple years now. I've hummed and hawed partly because Kubota refuses to put a factory cab on these machines.

The L47 is based on the Kubota Grand L L4060/4760/5060/5460/6060 series. This is good for you in terms of continuity and parts availability.

I have owned two new Kubota tractors with cruise control. On neither could cruise control be engaged in reverse. Kubota MAY have deleted cruise control because reverse can be either direction on a TLB.

The no cab situation MAY have to do with relatively long reach of L45 Backhoe, relative to short reach of L4060/4760/5060/5460/6060 Backhoes. At the price point an L47 cab would require, perhaps Kubota could not see enough volume. Or maybe the cab L47 would price more than a dedicated Kubota mini excavator.

Consider carefully your firewood plan. The are many threads in the T-B-N archive on attempts to be profitable with firewood. Few are. Customers want firewood cheap AND customers want to you stack the billets on delivery ........way back there.

VIDEO: Comparing Kubota TLB series tractors(B26, L47, M62) - YouTube

/ Kubota TLB owners and experiences?
Yeah I'm looking at the firewood processor thing very carefully people are cheapskates when it comes to just about everything I've been looking at what the limited competition offers for pricing and will have to do some math and figure out a profit margin. I'm also planning on getting my septic system installers ticket in the next month or so (course dates haven't been finalized yet). There is some work for that and I know the L47 won't be able to dig deep enough for a deep burial tank but I know lots of people I can rent an excavator from for cheap including the Hitachi 160 I currently still operate.
Hi Gary I know how to use a thumb and like I said before I've been operating heavy equipment for 20 years and have come to find a hydraulic thumb a pain in the butt, I had my bosses remove the one on my machine at work because I seldom use it and because we have a Promac 36" CMP brush cutter the auxiliary hydraulic circuit relief pressure is to high for a thumb and a bit of a hassle to turn it up or down. Plus when I'm using the wrist or tilt bucket the thumb just gets in the way and puts far too much weight on the end of the stick. Plus I'm old school and learnt from a lot of old timers that could pick up dimes off the ground.