kubota v. massey

/ kubota v. massey #1  

frankroberts

Bronze Member
Tractor
MF 50
I currently have a Massey Ferguson 50. It's an old tractor. Made in 1958 I think. I few years ago I took it apart, cleaned it, painted it and put on new tires $$$.

Now I am thinking of modernizing a bit. I found a Massey 135 with less than 1000 hours. Also nearby I found a L3130 Kubota. The Massey is $8,000 and the Kubota is $13,000.

I can afford either one. I mainly use the tractor for a 5' mower and pulling a trailer for hauling firewood and brush.

Thing is the Massey LOOKS like a tractor to me and the Kubota looks like a toy.

Any advise on which way to go? Thanks.

/ kubota v. massey #2  
   / kubota v. massey #3  
I currently have a Massey Ferguson 50. It's an old tractor. Made in 1958 I think. I few years ago I took it apart, cleaned it, painted it and put on new tires $$$.

Now I am thinking of modernizing a bit. I found a Massey 135 with less than 1000 hours. Also nearby I found a L3130 Kubota. The Massey is $8,000 and the Kubota is $13,000.

I can afford either one. I mainly use the tractor for a 5' mower and pulling a trailer for hauling firewood and brush.

Thing is the Massey LOOKS like a tractor to me and the Kubota looks like a toy.

Any advise on which way to go? Thanks.

I vote for the 135! Amazing on fuel, will start no matter how cold, and it is a utility tractor, not a compact! :)

/ kubota v. massey #4  
A MF135 with 1000 hrs is a real tractor ..money is high though .

/ kubota v. massey #5  
The Massey would be much older. That said from what I saw looking at Used Tractors For Sale at TractorHouse.com: John Deere Tractors, used farm tractors and farm equipment, tractors for sale, Case IH, New Holland, Agco, Kubota that $8k is too high. A 3130 is much newer, probably has 4x4 as well. Just that alone I would want to go toward the Kubota. I would look at some comparable models too the 3130 though. Such as a Deere 4310. You will find them to be much more comfortable machines.
You got close, really close but still no cigar.:)
If you'll always add to your posts that your a JD (
Tractor Make & Model owned be MartianTractorMan2008 JD 3120, 2001 JD 5410, 2006 JD Gator HPX Diesel) dealer or owner or supporter over here trolling the Kubota site for some strange reason, maybe not strange:D always taking any opportunity to push a JD even though it's not a part of the question. If you had gotten past hating the Kubota dealer and bought a Kubota or ever owned a Kubota then maybe, just maybe your opinions concerning Kubota may be relevant or based on some actual experience. Evaluating Tractors on paper is poor, really poor all it beats is nothing. This specific site is even headed Buying and Pricing under the KUBOTA Heading. There are other forums on TBN, several that are not Brand specific for you to provide experience and insight. Do you visit the JD site that is specific to JD Owning and Operating or Buying and Pricing? I never go there to see since I don't have a JD. Anyway I'll copy this response and always add it to yours over here across the fence where the grass is greener (Kubota Land) if you don't add your disclaimer that your a JD man with NO KUBOTA ownership experience when you give your words of advise.:confused:

/ kubota v. massey #6  
TractorData.com lists the MF 1975 as the last year of production. Same site lists 2007 as the last year of production for the Kubota. If the Kubota has a FEL and is 4WD don't discount what it will do - regardless of looks.

You cite mowing and pulling a trailer as the primary uses. The Kubota will handle the 5' mower and tow the trailer - especially if you have 4 wheels pulling instead of 2. If you have soft ground conditions the Kubota will more than likely go where the MF will not.

I'm not knocking the MF. Tried to get my Dad to buy me one when I was doing his plowing for him.

I have a friend that has a 10 year old MF 231 or 241. While it is a powerful tractor it is not nearly as nimble or versatile as my B7510 or B3200.

If the 'bota has a FEL you will never regret the money spent on it.

/ kubota v. massey #7  
The L3130 is a Grand L and has a few more bells & whistles over the 135. The 3130 came w/an hST, Glide Shift or Shuttle Shift tranny. Either of the 3 would be better than the std shift MF.
The L3130 also comes w/3PH position control. This is useful for precise control of the 3PH. The MF has the std up/down 3PH but it does have draft control. Your intended uses indicate a rear mower, posiion control would be better. Draft control is a huge benefit for plowing & discing.

The L3130 came in 2wd & 4wd. If the model your looking at is 4wd, advantage Kubota.

If you think the Kubota looks like a toy, check out the modern plastic bodied JD's :D

Both tractors are tried and true and for your intended uses, you can't go wrong w/either.
Make sure you test drive both then go w/the one that "fits" best.
Dave

/ kubota v. massey #8  
Tractor Make & Model owned be MartianTractorMan2008 JD 3120, 2001 JD 5410, 2006 JD Gator HPX Diesel) dealer or owner or supporter over here trolling the Kubota site for some strange reason, maybe not strange:D always taking any opportunity to push a JD even though it's not a part of the question. If you had gotten past hating the Kubota dealer and bought a Kubota or ever owned a Kubota then maybe, just maybe your opinions concerning Kubota may be relevant or based on some actual experience. Evaluating Tractors on paper is poor, really poor all it beats is nothing. This specific site is even headed Buying and Pricing under the KUBOTA Heading. There are other forums on TBN, several that are not Brand specific for you to provide experience and insight. Do you visit the JD site that is specific to JD Owning and Operating or Buying and Pricing? I never go there to see since I don't have a JD. Anyway I'll copy this response and always add it to yours over here across the fence where the grass is greener (Kubota Land) if you don't add your disclaimer that your a JD man with NO KUBOTA ownership experience when you give your words of advise.:confused:

Wow..wake up on the wrong side of the bed this morning? I don't own a Kubota (or a JD) and I visit this forum often. Might even comment once in awhile. Since I use my tractor to make a living everyday I like to get as much information about every brand for a future purchase. Who's to say the op might not want to look at comparable brands in other "colors"?...You?

Oh ya...I'd get the Kubota. Comparing yesterday's models that "look" more like a tractor to modern examples is like comparing trucks. The old trucks "felt" like a truck, but the newer trucks will do the same and in most cases a better job, and be a heck of a lot more comfortable doing it.

/ kubota v. massey #9  

I'm sorry, maybe I'm the only person who does any due diligence before I buy (shopping different makes/models and comparing). Yes I have Deere, but that's because I have 20 Deere dealers within 50 miles of my home in the same distance I have 3 Kubota and they are much farther spread out, I've found that to be quite valuable as I travel with my machines. Right now I'm looking for a used compact TLB, my ideal machine would be an M59, but they came out too recently and the prices even for a L45 are much higher than a JD 110 and I don't like the older models at all.

I feel that all tractor makes make tractors relatively the same - see my posts in this discussion, I feel the difference is in personal preference and in dealer support. Obviously you feel that with Kubota and I do with Deere. (http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...29434-recent-conversations-bota-vs-deere.html)

And, no I don't usually go too any, I go to "TODAY'S POSTS" and I see what people are doing today instead of looking at 6 year old stuff in the sub forums.

I thought the point of this forum was to get people best advised of what tractor they should purchase, that usually means EXPANDING upon all brands too suit what they need best :thumbsup:

/ kubota v. massey #10  
Personally I see the biggest difference in dealer network. I have 5 JD dealers within 50 miles of me, all except one owned by the same company that went on a buying spree and owns 9 dealers in my area, and I only have one Kubota dealer that is just over 50 miles. For me that is a huge plus for JD..
They build more JD dealers by you???? 5 to20????Now thats a stretch :confused2: