Kubota will buy back my B3030

/ Kubota will buy back my B3030
Hello all
I thought I'd reply to this thread after it died down a bit
To start I should have been clearer at the end of my origial post that what I was looking for were opinions on the 7800 conversion e.g. had anyone done this conversion or knew of someone or knew of any pitt falls
I didn't start this thread to bad mouth Kubota's treatment of me. They've tried to be very helpfull in making me happy. Although as someone not knowledgeable in such matters it seems to be taking longer then need be. As for the non -disclosure of details, I appeciate your concerns but there wasn't or isn't any agreement of me keeping quiet. In fact the people I'm dealing with know I started a thread back in Sept. about my B3030. I wouldn't have agreed to a non-disclosure agreement if one were required. I'm not looking for any monetary gain from Kubota and non has been offered. In fact the price for purchasing another tractor will probably increase for the new year so I will pay more out of pocket. I didn't start this thread to create a class action suit. I haven't talked with an attorney. I started discussions with Kubota as a fyi after a near tragedy caused by my B3030. I was ignorant to the fact that it would start in gear, so I purposely left it in gear to prevent any one from starting it.
I think I should explain a little about myself. I was a safety coordinator for a large telecommumications co. for over thirty years so I could say that safety is part of my make-up.
I've recently come to realize that Kubota isn't going to notify previous B3030 owners about the starting in gear issue, and I'm told they don't think there is a safety issue so there isn't going to be a fix, they're only going to revise the owners manual.
For all those unfamiliar with this issue please allow me to explain what I found on my B3030 tractor.
With the exception of the B3030, all Kubota tractors have a clutch pedal that needs to be depressed before you can start the tractor. The B3030 does not, it works on fliuds. The best way I can think to explain it is for you to think of the automatic transmission in you car. Your car will not start unless the shift lever is either in neutral or park. That's because there is what is or was called a safety neutral switch in place. If that switch were not there, you would be able to start your car in gear. Imagine this hapening on a cold morning when you first start your car with the engine racing because the choke is on. Good bye garage door or garage wall, good bye car if you only opened the car door to reach in to start the car while in gear to let it warm up. ( I hope no one comes back with " you shouldn't start your car unless you step on the brake first. etc. responses)
Now for the B3030. Although not exact but close try to look at it as having an automatic tranmission. The owners manual states "The engine will not start unless the range gear shift lever ( that's the same as the shift lever in your car), speed control pedal (foot pedal) and the PTO clutch lever are in the neutral and off positions respectively" The B3030 will start with the shift lever in gear. Thats the error in the owners manual
Kubota claims that if someone were to start the B3030 from the ground, and then accidently pushed or gets caught on the foot pedal the tractor will only travel 3 1/2 ft. an then shut down. And so mine does. But it only travels 3 1/2 ft. before shutting down if in low range and at an idle. If in medium range at an idle my tractor travels 6 ft. in hi range 9 ft. before shutting down. Now if you are like me and shut the tractor down but leave the hand throttle lever at the last speed you traveled at, and later someone starts the tractor from the ground and then accidently pushes on the foot pedal,or gets their coat caught, my tractor will travel 6 ft. in low, 12 ft. in med. and 17 ft. in hi gear. (Now before someone says that I shouldn't leave the hand throttle in place, read the manual it says to set the hand throttle about 1/2 way before starting. I was doing it in advance)
For any B3030 owners who want to test my findings, just make a mark on the ground by where your rear tire rests, and then stand on the deck and start your tractor in any gear at any throttle speed and then step on the foot pedal. When the tractor stops just measure the distance traveled. Just remember don't sit in the seat before or during the test because this will actvate what's called the operater presence switch which will overide the test.
For B7800 owners your tractors will also travel. My friend has a B7800. We tried the same test but not at all speeds. But you have a pedal that needs to be depressed before starting that's a plus.
In closing of this long winded post, I'm only explaining what I discovered on my tractor. My opinion, there should be a switch. Your opinion may differ. All I'm trying to do is make people aware. If this post causes some problem with my negotations with Kubota so be it. The worst is that I keep the B3030, but now like you I'm aware of it's issues and can live with it as long as no one gets hurt.
John

/ Kubota will buy back my B3030 #22  
jg ... after reading through this thread I'll throw my 2 cents in also.

1. If Kubota actually said they would supply you with a B7800 with a position control valve on the 3PH ala the B2910 or the B3030, keep in mind that you will have a totally unique tractor and one you could NOT count on a dealer having the wherewithall to properly fix should something go wrong with it. This tractor, as far as I could tell (I own a B7800) would be a hybrid. The position control valve as I see it would require a completly new top end to the tractor If I understand how these 30 hp machines are plumbed.

2. Because of #1 above, resale value on this machine would be dubious. Although you do not indicate what the engineer's response was to your requirement about resale value, I would be hard pressed to find someone (educated about the machine) who would'nt be both puzzled and somewhat nervous about a B7800 with Position Control. I'd be. It would be easy to construe your request as one that could NOT be fulfilled.

Keep us posted ... This should ultimately be interesting ...

And for those who inquired earlier in this thread, the B3030 does NOT have an engageable clutch pedal for the operator.

/ Kubota will buy back my B3030
DAP
Last I was told is that they were going to use a 2910 control valve. A B7800 is an economized 2910. Another question is will the right side fender have to be replaced, because of the 2910 control lever not aligning with the 7800 fender slot and because the slots maybe different lengths so as to imped the lever travel. I cant find a 2910 to look at. Also does the 2910 fender have numbers stenciled on it like a B3030 ? Someone suggested I try for a 2910 tractor but Kubota doesn't have any.
John

/ Kubota will buy back my B3030 #24  
Here's what I know

The Fenders of a B2910 and a B7800 are the same with the exception of the slots for the controls of the 3PH. A flat black plackard and stick on labels are used for the indexes on BOTH fenders, however, they are obviously different. A factory hack could make this work easily I would imagine.

When I bought my B7800 I asked my technician exactly what would be involved in swapping out the quarter inching setup for the position control. He indicated that it would require much more than just the valve, but that the whole top half of the rear tractor might need to be replaced. We call this 'splitting'. Bad.

I cannot at this point confirm that he is indeed correct.

Frankly, If I were that disappointed in the B3030, I would either get over my disappointment, accept the B7800 for what it is (a great machine, I've got one!) or have them buy it back and look at another manufacturer.

Seems like this is trying to get the toothpaste back into the tube. Bottom line is I hope you get what you want.

/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Kubota will buy back my B3030 #25  
Jgbiker,
First I am sorry you are having problems. That is very frustrating on a major investment. Second, I am glad to see that Kubota is trying to work something out with you. Though there have been stories of people unsatisfied with Kubota’s response to problems they did work with me on a ROPS problem even though the tractor was out of warranty. I was happy.

Kubota manuals are something I have always wondered about. I have a B21 and a L39; both are Kubota’s commercial tractor models designed with the contractor and rental fleet owners in mind. In the manuals for these models there are a number of errors or inconsistencies. In some cases the sections that are inconsistent with the tractor are reprints of directions for other models. The information is basically correct but the accompanying diagram obviously isn’t. In other cases it looks to be a translation issue that creates confusing or unclear sentences.

My favorite is a section on loading the tires with calcium chloride solution for ballast. It is recommended for added traction and stability. There is a chart that tells you the amount of weight different mixes of CaCl provides. In my case it is between 314 lbs. and 350 lbs. per rear tire. Then they proceed to tell you to REMOVE the ballast whenever you attach the backhoe. With a tractor that brags on its versatility because of an easily removable backhoe so different 3pt implements may be used, I would find removing 700 lbs. of CaCl mix each change greatly compromising that versatility. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Then the question becomes, am I unsafe without ballast and no backhoe or with ballast and the backhoe?

Considering the cost of compact tractors and the market share Kubota holds it might just be time to spend a few more bucks on the owner manuals in my opinion. Hope everything works out to your satisfaction.

MarkV

/ Kubota will buy back my B3030 #26  
I have noticed that on my B3030 it will run for at least a second after you depress the HST pedal if you are not on the seat. It will also run for the same amount of time if you take your weight off of the seat while moving. I am puzzled as to why it does not shut off immediately. That seems safer to me. I have not had any problems with it but I can see how it could be a safety hazard. As it is, I sometimes will touch the HST pedal with my hand in order to move the tractor just a bit when hooking up a 3PTH tool. It is handy for that but not the safest thing, I'll admit. Personally, I would like to see the safety switches stop the engine without delay. I can live with the way it is, though.

/ Kubota will buy back my B3030 #27  
<font color="blue"> I know... I know ... I never should have gotten off the tractor with the range shifter not in neutral and without the brake set.
*********************** </font>
You don't ever want to have/leave a BX23 in neutral with or without the brake set whether or not you are on or off the tractor.
Do this and the tractor is going to take off down any slope/incline.

/ Kubota will buy back my B3030 #28  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( If the hydrostatic pedal out of the neutral position disables the starter, then a person (not necessarily me) could argue that the owner's manual might be correct in the sense that the tractor isn't technically in gear until the hydrostatic pedal is moved to the forward or reverse position.

Kelvin
<font color="purple"> :::::::::::::::::::::::::::: </font>

)</font>
I'll have to check this out on my BX23.
I've never tried to start it with the hydrostatic pedal depressed with the range selector in or out of neutral.

/ Kubota will buy back my B3030 #29  
You mention that there should be a switch to prevent it starting in gear, then you go on to mention situations where you start it from the ground or knock it into gear mounting or dismounting......

The tractor already has a seat switch and a pedal neutral switch ( maybe more ).

How many switches do you need to keep you from doing unsafe things? Say they put another switch on a button on the dash that lets you start the tractor in gear with the pedal in neutral...then you have the situation where you push that switch, start the tractor, bump the pedal, then it moves x feet and shuts off.....no matter how many switches they put in to protect you, operators have responsiblity for their own actions at some point.

They could put in more safety switches but you if you don't follow the propery procedures ( don't start the tractor unless seated, don't dismount without setting brake and shifting in neutral and lowering implements/loader ) the operator can STILL find a way of making the tractor move from the ground or causing inadvertent movement by bumping levers while dismounting....

I think in this case the owners manual needs correcting, but thats it.

They have offered to buy your tractor back at full cost, which in my opinion is going above and beyond considering the lack of cause you have presented.

Toolguy, they probably designed for a short pause before shutdown to allow for rough ground where you may bounce off the seat momentarily.

/ Kubota will buy back my B3030 #30  
<font color="blue">don't dismount without shifting into neutral </font>
-----------------
I sure wouldn't recommend doing that with a BX 23