Kustomized Ballast Box

/ Kustomized Ballast Box
I don't think the final weight of the concrete is the same as the dry weight.
I used to know this, I was a architecture student, but that was 30 years ago :)
I'll check out my text books tonight.

/ Kustomized Ballast Box #13  
What did you use to seal it up before pouring the concrete?

/ Kustomized Ballast Box
BloomingtonMike said:
What did you use to seal it up before pouring the concrete?

I used a silicone based cauking that I happened to have in my gun.

/ Kustomized Ballast Box
Had to trim the driveway so I put it to work.
It is more stable on the hills with the ballast box than it was with the backhoe on. It really felt good, even with the large materials bucket filled with wood.

Sorry Elginfarm, I don't recall the price. It was part of a package deal. I think it was $200 or so.

Attachments

• onTractor.jpg
    onTractor.jpg
    297 KB · Views: 1,288
  • outToWork-r.jpg
    outToWork-r.jpg
    324.3 KB · Views: 1,170
  • outToWork-l.jpg
    outToWork-l.jpg
    334.2 KB · Views: 1,156
   / Kustomized Ballast Box #17  
To those that may be considering casters for their ballast box.

I made a dolly for my ballast box and it sure is convenient to be able to roll it around the garage floor. My box only weighs around 400 pounds and it takes a lot of force to get it moving. slaveToHorses's box weighs a lot more than mine so I suspect it would take a LOT MORE force to move one that size unless you use very large casters and high quality bearings. I think my casters are 3.5 inches and 200 pound capacity each.

Nice job slaveToHorses!

John

Attachments

• Ballast box and dolly.jpg
    Ballast box and dolly.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 1,100
   / Kustomized Ballast Box
ditto to that. I thought about casters for a second. Mostly, I don't have the luxury of a concrete floor to store it on, so it is gravel driveway for me. No way casters would survive or be useful. Plus they would rattle. I store mine on a pallet that happens to be the perfect size. They come on one from Deere :)

Sure it is nice to be able to move it about. Connecting to it takes a bit more skill when it doesn't move but that applies to most of my attachments so I am used to it. Telescoping drag links are sure handy ;)

Hey, this ballast box is pretty usefull. I had to haul a bunch of wood in from my wooded area. It is unstable ground and really tricky to move around. I have to have the loader at full height while negotiating tight territory. That with my high volume materials bucket filled with maple rounds and splits. It was tough with the hoe. Impossible without, but not scary at all with the new ballast box.

Attachments

• woodLoad.jpg
    woodLoad.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 1,152
  • ballast.jpg
    ballast.jpg
    232.1 KB · Views: 1,143
   / Kustomized Ballast Box #19  
Really nice job. I have the ballast box just filled with stone right now. Bought the extension since it does not have enough weight with stone in it. Considered filling it with cement since deere says it takes up to 977lbs (with extension). Nice mods. Hmmm ... maybe I need to get back on that project.

Steven

/ Kustomized Ballast Box #20  
slaveToHorses said:
Sure it is nice to be able to move it about. Connecting to it takes a bit more skill when it doesn't move but that applies to most of my attachments so I am used to it. Telescoping drag links are sure handy ;)

Have you thought about getting a Imatch? You wouldn't even need to leave the seat!