Kustomized Ballast Box

/ Kustomized Ballast Box
kennyd said:
Have you thought about getting a Imatch? You wouldn't even need to leave the seat!

It's on the list!
but it might make it too easy. ;)

/ Kustomized Ballast Box #22  
I just purchased my own ballast box and thought I would revisit this thread. I was wondering if there is any preparation involved regarding the inside of the box before you pour the concrete in? I have never worked with concrete and didn't know if I need to line the walls with anything or any other considerations?

/ Kustomized Ballast Box #23  
I just purchased my own ballast box and thought I would revisit this thread. I was wondering if there is any preparation involved regarding the inside of the box before you pour the concrete in? I have never worked with concrete and didn't know if I need to line the walls with anything or any other considerations?
Seal the seams inside the box with ductape or silicone before pouring or it will leak water out. Also consider adding a pipe or two for tools and/or chains.

/ Kustomized Ballast Box #25  
I know this is kind of an old thread, but I am thinking about this and trying to figure out how you keep the tubes from floating away or from letting concrete in the bottom when you pour in the concrete? I know you said you used a polyurethane glue. What were your tubes made of?

/ Kustomized Ballast Box #26  
I really don't think they'd float in the concrete, I could be wrong. The thing I thought about was keeping the bottoms in place while pouring. As long as the bottoms stay were where you wanted I think the angles could be adjusted while pouring. A pipe cap to seal the end.

If you were mixing the concrete by hand you could mix the first bag real wet, set the pipes to the correct placement and angle then wait for it to set up and then pour the rest. That solves both problems.

/ Kustomized Ballast Box #27  
I really don't think they'd float in the concrete, I could be wrong. The thing I thought about was keeping the bottoms in place while pouring. As long as the bottoms stay were where you wanted I think the angles could be adjusted while pouring. A pipe cap to seal the end.

You know, I said "float," but I didn't really actually think about the bottom being sealed. I was just thinking about concrete leaking in around the bottom. I am thinking that if I do it, I will want to use metal pipe instead of PVC, because if the PVC breaks, you are just plumb out of luck. If it's pipe, I suppose I could weld a piece of flat stock on the end as a cap.

Would mixing the concrete more wet make it less likely to seep in? Seems like the opposite.

/ Kustomized Ballast Box #28  
I meant put a solid pipe cap on the bottom end to keep the concrete out. Then mix a bag wet to make placing them where you wanted easier. :)

Using metal pipe would work too, you could even tack weld them to the bottom of the box prior to filling.

I was wondering though at what point were you worried about the PVC breaking?