L2800-L3400 PTO Making the right choice

/ L2800-L3400 PTO Making the right choice #291  
My PTO cams have never failed. I have 410 hours on it. Most of that time is with the PTO running. I only use it for mowing and snow blowing and those seem to get along with the PTO. I think roto-tilling is a problem. I run my tiller with the Ford 1910 which seems to have a bullet proof PTO.

So far the only problem I have had is the sight glass and a PTO engagement cable breaking. Those were both easy to replace. It's been a great machine.
It must of been someone else's post that I read where the cams got fixed. After going through this thread, my diagnoses of the main PTO cam failure, is the cable that engages the PTO, I don't think it is letting the cams stay fully engaged, as far as that ratcheting sound goes, if the cams are in trans oil, they should ratchet for a thousand years before warring out, I think that where the cam tappers back, it lets the PTO slow down slowly you come to a stop, sort of like a brake, or if a bush-hog/tiller came to a sudden stop. At least your not grinding gears like I am with L3400 DT, the slightest movement and grind.

I also replaced the sight glass and I have 600+ hrs., that makes me the winner. My PTO runs a Fransgard logging winch, most likely no ware's near as hard on the PTO as a bush hog or tiller, once I winch up the logs, the PTO get shut off and away I go.

/ L2800-L3400 PTO Making the right choice #292  
Hello,
Well I have a Kabota L3400HST bought new in March 2006. I have 112 hours and maybe half of that running the PTO. Most of the use with the PTO was running a rototiller. I have been noticing clicking noises coming from the back of my tractor over the last few months. Yesterday the clicking noise got really bad and I notice the rototiller was not rotating anymore as well as the shaft coming out of the tractor. Reading this great post by all it seems like I'm in for a ton of work or a ton of money to fix this tractor. I know there are a lot of people with a lot of good input on this tread so to make it short what is the best fix and what am I looking at for cost? Appreciate any feedback, Thanks
Dwayne

/ L2800-L3400 PTO Making the right choice #293  
I asked my dealer several years ago about a "ball park" cost, it was a grand. I would not be surprised if it's a lot more. Would love it if you could keep us up on what happens with your machine. I would think starting a new thread about your tractor would generate a lot more interest. (i.e., this is an old and LONG thread).

I've sold my rototiller when my PTO started to slip. I don't worry about it but I'm sure one day it will break.

/ L2800-L3400 PTO Making the right choice #294  
First, make sure the cable has not stretched or broke. This happened to mine around 350 hours.

If you need to have the PTO cam gear replaced make sure they install the new one.

Rototillers are very hard on this type of PTO. The new cams are supposed to be much better for tillers.

Attachments

• New Cam L3400.jpg
    New Cam L3400.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 172
   / L2800-L3400 PTO Making the right choice #295  
Tonight, I can look up what serial number the switch from the original cam to the "new" cam was. Even thou you bought your tractor in 2006, it might have been old inventory. Do you know your serial number (at least the first 3 digits).

/ L2800-L3400 PTO Making the right choice #296  
Hello again,
I did call the tractor dealer where I had purchased it and he said it would be around $1800 plus parts to replace the over running clutch. He also told me to check the cable just like ccsaial suggested. The cable was pretty loose so I adjusted the cable per the service manual I had just bought and I had got a lot more travel for engagement of the clutch. I'm in the process of changing oils and filters on the tractor then I'll give it a try to see if it did any good or not. I'll keep you posted. If not I'm going to repair the tractor myself, and get the updated parts as mentioned in an earlier post.
Teg
The serial number on my 2006 Kubota L3400HST is 57089. Thanks again everyone!
Dwayne

/ L2800-L3400 PTO Making the right choice #297  
Thanks for the update, keep us posted.

/ L2800-L3400 PTO Making the right choice #298  
...I'm in the process of changing oils and filters on the tractor then I'll give it a try to see if it did any good or not...
I would not change the oil since the dealer is going to drain the system if they need to fix it... just re-adjust the cable to see if it works.

I'll check the serial number tonight, IIRC, it was above 60K... so you have the original cams (like mine).

I have to go to my dealer this week to pick up oil for an oil change, I'll ask them what it would cost now to change out the Cams. Since I don't have the cultivator anymore... I would like to get this corrected but I can live without it.

PS. Yes, Thanks for the update!

/ L2800-L3400 PTO Making the right choice #299  
Well adjusting the cable seemed to do the trick, I changed all my oils and filters on the tractor then hooked up the rototiller and it seemed to be fine. I'll take it!!

/ L2800-L3400 PTO Making the right choice #300  
Thanks for the good news. Try not to hit any big rocks now.:)