L3400 Fuel Gauge

/ L3400 Fuel Gauge #1  

Texas Dodge

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L3400 4WD
I just recently purchased a L3400 Kubota Tractor. From the specifications it says it has a 9 gallon fuel tank. When using the tractor hard for about 4 hours, I was almost on empty so I decided to fill it up. I put in 5 gallons of diesel and it was full again. What gives? How can I only add 5 gallons and it be full again? Is this a bad fuel sending unit or is it suppose to be this way so as to not get much condensation in the tank?

Thanks,

/ L3400 Fuel Gauge #2  
My L2800 has problems with fuel levels too, on mine when it gets to between E and 1/4 tank I can put 6 gallons in it. It will then run 3-4 hours before the needle starts dropping. So the gauge measures E with 2 plus gallons left and full when the tank is down 3 gallons.

/ L3400 Fuel Gauge #3  
mine will appear to be "full" for a long time and then all of the sudden (over an hour or so) it will drop to just over 1/4. i have let it run pretty low but am unable to get anywhere near 9 gallons into it. could it have something to do with the shape of the tank?

/ L3400 Fuel Gauge #4  
Mine behaves the exact same way... I can run for a long time before it comes off Full, but when it does it drops to 1/4 quickly. I have run it a long time below empty and still put way less than 9 gals. in it...

Chip

/ L3400 Fuel Gauge #5  
Mine does about the same think. Empty on the gauge means I got about half a tank left.

Terry

/ L3400 Fuel Gauge
That's good to know that I am not the only one. Thanks guys:)

/ L3400 Fuel Gauge #7  
My 07 L2800 with low hours also says it is full, I check the tank and only about an inch left in it. I am going to call my dealer to see if there is a recall or this is a issue that they are aware of?

/ L3400 Fuel Gauge #8  
Empty in mine means it's empty or I should do something about it pretty soon since I have put 8 gallons in it when the needle was a needles width above "E".
It does act like an old chevrolet PU though, it stays on full a good while then drops quickly.

/ L3400 Fuel Gauge #9  
After a few years, you'll never pay attention to the fuel gauge. You know how many hours you've run her, and know it is time for fuel. On an old Ford, we would run about 4 hours, and know it was time to fill her. On the old Massey it was about 6 hours of field time before checking the tank.

Best to always keep the tank full anyhow. Reduces condensation issues, and if you end up working a job longer than expected, there is less stress, worrying about running out of fuel, especially with diesels. Enjoy.

/ L3400 Fuel Gauge #10  
Had to do this test myself because I thought that the gauge seemd a bit off also. I ran mine to below E then below the red line that is below E. I have never ran it that low before. It took about 7 gallons to fill it to the neck. Now at least I know that the E is pretty conservative which is ok with me. I will probably never run it that low again. Brian