L3400 Fuel Gauge

/ L3400 Fuel Gauge #11  
I was chipping brush for a hour or so and thought... I better not run out of fuel... I forgot the last time I put some in. I looked at the gauge and yep, sure enough, it was on "E"... Stopped everything, drove up to the barn and topped off the tank with 4 gallons :confused: What good is a 9 gallon tank, if the fuel gauge only measures 4 gallons??? :mad:

Are there any Kubota dealers that can tell us if the fuel gauge can be adjusted??

/ L3400 Fuel Gauge
teg said:
I was chipping brush for a hour or so and thought... I better not run out of fuel... I forgot the last time I put some in. I looked at the gauge and yep, sure enough, it was on "E"... Stopped everything, drove up to the barn and topped off the tank with 4 gallons :confused: What good is a 9 gallon tank, if the fuel gauge only measures 4 gallons??? :mad:

Are there any Kubota dealers that can tell us if the fuel gauge can be adjusted??

I talked to my dealer about this and he said he talked to the mechanics and it is that way so you don't run out of fuel or let the tank get to low.

/ L3400 Fuel Gauge #13  
Thanks for the info., Texas_Dodge...

If I know that only half the tank is gone... I'll keep running it... WHY even have a fuel gauge? :confused: The purpose of a fuel gauge is to show you when you are close to being out of fuel?? (not half a tank!!!)

I used to drive the tractor from a friends place to my land, It was so low on fuel that as soon as I got off the pavement, I shut it off and walked 3/4 of a mile to my house to get more fuel... :mad: I think, 5 gallons topped it off.

So, NO adjustment at all to the gauge?? Is there any after market products for fuel gauges to fix this problem?? (beside a clear fuel cap) :D

/ L3400 Fuel Gauge #15  
Mine is a L3400HST and the fuel gauge seems fairly accurate. The needle sits above "full" a bit and sits there, (I do fill it to the brim) but when it does move, it seems very close. When it registers "half", I can't quite put 5 gallons in it.

/ L3400 Fuel Gauge
beersngars said:
Mine is a L3400HST and the fuel gauge seems fairly accurate. The needle sits above "full" a bit and sits there, (I do fill it to the brim) but when it does move, it seems very close. When it registers "half", I can't quite put 5 gallons in it.
When my L3400 is right at the E mark it only takes 5 gallons to fill it right up to the top:rolleyes:

/ L3400 Fuel Gauge #17  
FL4400 said:
Try here to get some more information oon the fuel gauge problem http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...466-fuel-gauge-problem-l4400-psb-2007-023.pdf

Thanks FL4400... Looks like what's on page 5 might be the problem... I'll bring up my wife's ohmmeter and check what the reading is. I have a full tank and I have to change the fuel filter so I'll just drain the tank and watch the reading as it drops. Since I have 2 five gallon Diesel/Gas Cans, I should be able to get a good sense of half a tank.

"Measure with an ohmmeter, Measure the resistance of the fuel sensor across the terminal and the sensor body with an ohmmeter. Empty: around 110 ohms Full: around 3 ohms"

/ L3400 Fuel Gauge #18  
I didn't know anyone ever had a fuel gauge on a tractor that was accurate. My uncle bought a JD at the same time I bought my Kubota. We were both complaining about the gauges being wrong. My Dad's Kubota is the same way, as is his Ford and my wife's uncle's little compact JD. I think it's a conspiracy to get us to buy more diesel, even when we don't need it! :D

/ L3400 Fuel Gauge #19  
I hope it helps you out.

/ L3400 Fuel Gauge #20  
My L3000DT (and I think the 3400 and 2800 are similar) is shaped such that you can't see the bottom of the tank when looking in the fuel fill opening. What you see is "a" bottom, but it is not "the" bottom. It is kind of a "┌" shaped (with the outlet at the bottom of the vertical leg) and it would take some work to make a fuel gage read linearly throughout the range of fill of a tank shaped like that. As you would expect from that arrangement, the fuel gage comes down very slow when full and goes down very fast towards the end.

It could be engineered away, but why bother? Like an airplane, a fuel gage on a tractor is a superfluous accessory anyway.