L3400 HST Hydraulic View Window Must Read

/ L3400 HST Hydraulic View Window Must Read
I think it would be next to impossible for something to hit the view window. I think I would have to tell that person, "Here's your sign". First off, it is covered by a piece of steel that takes five bolts just to remove it. Secondly, there is only about a two inch cut out in that steel plate to allow viewing access to the fluid level, and most importantly, an object would have to take out your left foot before hitting such a small area. Sounds like that parts guy did not want to part with the $11.90.

/ L3400 HST Hydraulic View Window Must Read #12  
Mine has been fine - 180hrs now. I think I will get a spare the next time I'm at the parts department.

/ L3400 HST Hydraulic View Window Must Read #13  
If problems persist, attached might be the way to go. It is a kit that was used to raise the oil level to quieten the overruninng cams. Looks like a small dipstick. However, I believe it is about $100.00 at the dealer.

Terry

Attachments

• Oil gauge kit 1.jpg
    Oil gauge kit 1.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 1,624
  • Oil gauge kit 2.jpg
    Oil gauge kit 2.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 402
   / L3400 HST Hydraulic View Window Must Read #14  
My L3400 had this kit installed before the updated cams came out. There are a couple downfalls to the kit. First off it adds another couple gallons of expensive SUDT to the total capacity. Second problem is it is easy to kick the dipstick with your foot and knock it out of place.
I got used to it long ago but I let a friend borrow my tractor and sure enough he kicked the dipstick out and lost it. Easy to get a new one from Kubota.

I never realized that the sight glass was gone. One problem to not have. I need to pick up the hydraulic suction hose and replace it when I change out my fluid. I learned about it failing on another thread. Brian

I picked up the new part this week-end and after putting the tractor on about a 15 degree side grade. I unwedged the old window and the threaded part of the window was still fully intact and still screwed into the casing. :D I think the part broke from vibration combined with heat. It looks to be poly styrene which is brittle. The new part looks to be a much better design and the inside has a white background that makes checking the fluid level easy due to the contrast. I'm glad to see that Kubota learns from its mistakes and make timely changes to improve the product.

/ L3400 HST Hydraulic View Window Must Read #16  
I think the part broke from vibration combined with heat. It looks to be poly styrene which is brittle. The new part looks to be a much better design and the inside has a white background that makes checking the fluid level easy due to the contrast. I'm glad to see that Kubota learns from its mistakes and make timely changes to improve the product.
I agree with you as to why this part fails, and I hope the new part is in fact new and improved.

Here are some pictures of the old and new part.

Attachments

• Picture 439.jpg
    Picture 439.jpg
    589.3 KB · Views: 783
  • Picture 444.jpg
    Picture 444.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 263
  • Picture 441.jpg
    Picture 441.jpg
    535.5 KB · Views: 519
  • Picture 448.jpg
    Picture 448.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 691
   / L3400 HST Hydraulic View Window Must Read #18  
My L3400 HST (100 hrs) sight glass broke also. It broke similar to others on this thread. Had it hauled in to the dealer and repaired. Cost me about $200 for hauling it to and from the dealer, about 14 miles round trip. The broken one was a clear plastic one and the replacement looks a lot more stronger. It sure was a lot of hassle and cost for a simple fix. Kubota has to know is a problem. You would think they would fix their problems via a recall or do a field fix before it becomes a real expense to their customers!

/ L3400 HST Hydraulic View Window Must Read #19  
I might just bite the bullet and change mine before it break with the newer part - the next time I change the HST fluid. I imagine fluid will leak out if I try to do it with fluid in there right?

/ L3400 HST Hydraulic View Window Must Read #20  
Anybody know the part number of the new piece.