L3400 HST Hydraulic View Window Must Read

/ L3400 HST Hydraulic View Window Must Read #31  
Filters should get it before it could get to anything critical, and it is Plastic. I would probably not worry about it. I know easy for me to say, not my tractor, but opening up a tractor to get a little piece of plastic... nah. I don't think so.

James K0UA

Agreed. Lots of work for something that may or may not cause a problem. I'd run it hot and hard for a while to allow it to move to the filter and if I were really concerned about it a lot, I'd flush and change the fluid and filter whether it is due or not.

/ L3400 HST Hydraulic View Window Must Read #33  
I was thinking about draining the fluid and filtering it. Would it be foolish to pour the fluid back into the tractor once it is filtered?

/ L3400 HST Hydraulic View Window Must Read #34  
I was thinking about draining the fluid and filtering it. Would it be foolish to pour the fluid back into the tractor once it is filtered?

We have never done anything like this, so I can't speak from experience.. I suppose if you filtered carefully and did not introduce any outside dirt or particles. it would be fine. But don't be surprised when your little bitty piece of plastic doesn't come out. Truthfully I think the best course of action is to not think any more about it. I know that can be hard to do, as sometimes things "gnaw" on my too, but that is what I think. YMMV:)

James K0UA

/ L3400 HST Hydraulic View Window Must Read #35  
I decided to take your advice. I put the new site glass in and topped it off. If it gets worked around, hopefully the filter will catch it.

/ L3400 HST Hydraulic View Window Must Read #36  
I decided to take your advice. I put the new site glass in and topped it off. If it gets worked around, hopefully the filter will catch it.

I think you will be fine.:thumbsup:

/ L3400 HST Hydraulic View Window Must Read #37  
Just FYI, I had the same problem, except the broken piece left behind was a complete ring (threaded part). Couldn't figure out why I couldn't thread the replacement part on, until I looked really carefully. The original was clear plastic, and was almost invisible, still threaded into the hole. Once I got it out, replacement went easily. My wife's hand was just the right size to get at the thing; my hand wouldn't come close to fitting in the space.

$22 for the part, $21 for a gallon of hydraulic fluid, 80+ miles of driving to the dealer, 3 bags of kitty litter for the garage floor--how could such a well-made product have a problem because of one cheesy little plastic part--and this happened with only 202 hours on the machine!

/ L3400 HST Hydraulic View Window Must Read #38  
Yeah, that sight "glass" sucks. I never did like that getting down on your knees and getting a flashlight to look at that thing. Mine never broke though. I like the dipstick on my Kioti.:)

/ L3400 HST Hydraulic View Window Must Read #39  
Yeah, it really does suck. Mine only has 155 hours on it. With the hard work a tractor does, one would think the sight glass wouldn't be so cheap and poorly made. I appreciate all the feedback from you all. As a new tractor owner, I was about to over react to something it seems the filter should pick up.

/ L3400 HST Hydraulic View Window Must Read #40  
I have replaced the sight on my L4400 twice. The last one I got was better made than the original. I bought two, installed one and put the other in the parts cabinet. I have a steep slope that I park on to change it out. I have to remove the PTO shield to get to it. Slope eliminates fluid loss.