Backhoe L35 Backhoe Quickhitch Doesn't Un-Hitch

/ L35 Backhoe Quickhitch Doesn't Un-Hitch #1  

SLOBuds

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L35
I can't get the backhoe off my new L35. The top connection unhooks OK per the instructions. The bottom connection is weird. The instruction manual shows a mounting bar that you raise up until it hits a guide stopper.

In the manual picture the bar is kind of small and would come out of the support hook. My bar is pretty large and has no way of coming out of the support hook when I raise it up using the stabilizers.

Anyone have an idea of what I'm doing wrong?

L35 year 2000.

Thanks

/ L35 Backhoe Quickhitch Doesn't Un-Hitch #2  
SLOBuds said:
I can't get the backhoe off my new L35. The top connection unhooks OK per the instructions. The bottom connection is weird. The instruction manual shows a mounting bar that you raise up until it hits a guide stopper.

In the manual picture the bar is kind of small and would come out of the support hook. My bar is pretty large and has no way of coming out of the support hook when I raise it up using the stabilizers....
A picture of your L35 BH connections would really help understand your problem.

FWIW the lower "bar" on the backhoe on the L39 I rented and my L3240 easily came out of the hooks on the subframe.

Talon Dancer

/ L35 Backhoe Quickhitch Doesn't Un-Hitch #3  
If it is like the L48, your description seems to indicate the tractor is not level, is underpressure, or the lift arms are not pushing it straight up. Have you ever taken it off before, the first time always takes forever and seems impossible. I have it down to 5 minutes with 3pt installed as well.

/ L35 Backhoe Quickhitch Doesn't Un-Hitch #4  
MARTIN: If you are still unable to remove the BH......go to the local Kubota dealers parts counter and have them give you a schematic (diagram) off their computers, of that section of your hoe; it may have been modified or broken by previous owners? I would take the serial # of your tractor also. Mine is a 95' model, and several changes and improvements were made of the production cycle of the L35's. Good luck!

/ L35 Backhoe Quickhitch Doesn't Un-Hitch
Thanks guys. After my post last night I compared the drawing of the operators manual to what was actually configured on my L35. The components are vastly different but at least I can tell what the theory of operation is.

My machne is a year 2000, and the manual I bought is probably for a later year. BUT ... the bh itself has removel instructions (no pictures).

Unfortunately, where I am right now I don't see how the lower attahment can be removed from the support hook at all.

I will take some pictures today and post them here tonight.

The bh has never been removed from the tractor. But this is not an issue of freezing as I have freed all of the parts.

Thanks.

/ L35 Backhoe Quickhitch Doesn't Un-Hitch #6  
Greetings,
1. lower the outriggers until they are about 6 - 8 inches off the ground.
2. lower the boom until it pushes the tractor up in the back slightly to unload the catches on top.
3. Pull the safety pin underneath on each side and then move the levers back and put the pin back in holding the levers back in the unlocked position.
4. Raise the boom until the top of the hoe tilts back enough to clear the top catches, it will be approximately 25 degrees and looks like it is more than needed....
5. Raise the unit slowly and EVENLY with the outriggers until the bottom of the unit unhooks from the rod on the tractor on each side - it is a big rod that the hooks fit down into/onto - having it on level ground helps but as long as the tractor and hoe are on the same plane, it's OK - within reason - which for me is less than 5 to 8 degrees but make sure the hoe and tractor are both tilted approximately the same.
6. Drive the tractor forward just enough to clear the hoe so you can ease it down to the ground - put a couple of 4x4 blocks under the hoe at the outrigger pivot points to help stabalize it and keep it up off the ground and drier if it rains.
7. Shut down the tractor and disconnect the quick disconnects and hook them to themselves on the hoe and tractor - the tractor MUST be hooked back to itself to complete the hydraulic loop.
8. Pull the handle on the rod under the right rear of the seat towards the back - forward is hoe position, backward is three point position - also, the knob under the front of the seat controls how fast the three point goes down - if it is closed, the three point won't go down at all - this one got me the first time I removed the hoe and tried to use the three point.....
9. Drive off, install your three point stuff and have fun!

I just removed my hoe yesterday and installed the box blade so I thought I would write this while it is still fresh....
I have to go run the field for the day but will check back this afternoon for a successful removal story!

/ L35 Backhoe Quickhitch Doesn't Un-Hitch
Operator Error. Operator Error. My bad.

Very sorry for getting everyone involved in this when it was just my error in the procedure. What I missed was simply raising the boom high enough so that the bh footing deck is tipped down - this clears part of the mechanism on the bottom support hook (no other way for me to describe the cleared part). Then continue with the rest of the process and it came off easily.

I went to bed last night looking and thinking about the assembly over and over again. Finally I realized that the deck needed to be tipped down for everything to clear as advertised. This morning I went right out, tipped the deck, lowered the stabilizers, and separated the bh from tractor.

Getting it back connected is another matter. Looks like there is some pretty close alignment needed. But at least I know what all of the proper movements are.

Everything needs grease and I did a bunch of that as well.

The rear handle/rod was already in the 'out' position - for PTO. The owners manual only says that the bh will run cooler with the rod in the 'out' position. I don't think that the error caused any problems.

Thanks for the comments. Vern, your procedure is 100% correct and much better than any of the instructions with the tractor.

/ L35 Backhoe Quickhitch Doesn't Un-Hitch #8  
Greetings,
Glad everything worked out.
Also looked at the other post and sounds like you done good on the parts and box blade.
Now that the initial "worry stage" is over, go have some fun with your new machine - I hesitate to call these a "toy" tractor as they are extremely capable.
After running it a little while, you will start looking for more ways to use it.
And you will be surprised how much easier and faster some things are with this little beast!

/ L35 Backhoe Quickhitch Doesn't Un-Hitch #9  
SLOBuds said:
Operator Error. Operator Error. My bad.

Very sorry for getting everyone involved in this when it was just my error in the procedure. What I missed was simply raising the boom high enough so that the bh footing deck is tipped down - this clears part of the mechanism on the bottom support hook (no other way for me to describe the cleared part). Then continue with the rest of the process and it came off easily.

I went to bed last night looking and thinking about the assembly over and over again. Finally I realized that the deck needed to be tipped down for everything to clear as advertised. This morning I went right out, tipped the deck, lowered the stabilizers, and separated the bh from tractor.

Getting it back connected is another matter. Looks like there is some pretty close alignment needed. But at least I know what all of the proper movements are.

Everything needs grease and I did a bunch of that as well.

The rear handle/rod was already in the 'out' position - for PTO. The owners manual only says that the bh will run cooler with the rod in the 'out' position. I don't think that the error caused any problems.

Thanks for the comments. Vern, your procedure is 100% correct and much better than any of the instructions with the tractor.

MARTIN: I think your 2000/L35 has a zerk fitting on the enclosed driveline shaft near the front differential; don't over lube it! Another member here had the bad experience of too much grease, (two tubes) that ended up some how in the hydraulic fluids; he expected to see visible grease somewhere. The end result was hampered operation of the BH/LOADER! He had blown a seal there, and the grease started mixing with the hydraulic fluid!!

/ L35 Backhoe Quickhitch Doesn't Un-Hitch #10  
Re-mounting the BH is a breeze on this unit. I put mine back on for the first time the other day & it was a piece of cake. You just back up close, re-attatch the hyd. hoses & use the hoe & stabilizers to raise it & position, then just back in & re-hook. Glad to hear yours came off easier than mine did the first time!