L35 Engine valve adjustment

/ L35 Engine valve adjustment #1  

cheekme

Tractor
L35
Looking for a general procedure for accessing the engine top for valve adjustment and rotating engine to timing mark on flywheel. My L35 shop manual skips all this and just shows the adjustment which is the easy part.

/ L35 Engine valve adjustment #2  
I've not done an L35 but to adjust valves on my Mitsubishi I simply remove the valve cover. I put a socket on the nut on the front of the crankshaft to rotate the engine. My Mitsubishi is pretty easy to work on. The only reason for locating the timing mark is for timing the engine. If you're just adjusting valve lash you need only rotate the engine to the point where the given valve is fully closed and under no pressure from the rocker.

/ L35 Engine valve adjustment #3  
Per tractordata.com your L35 has the D1703 engine. Specific instructions for aligning the 1TC mark for valve adjustment on your D1703 engine are included on the attached page from my Kubota shop manual.

IMG_0264.JPG

/ L35 Engine valve adjustment
Per tractordata.com your L35 has the D1703 engine. Specific instructions for aligning the 1TC mark for valve adjustment on your D1703 engine are included on the attached page from my Kubota shop manual.

View attachment 627988

Thanks. Now if I can figure out where the flywheel inspection port is I'll be all set. I have a shop manual but it assumes way too much instead of putting in a simple graphic. It reads like the engine is sitting on a stand instead of in the tractor.

/ L35 Engine valve adjustment #5  
With Kubota, usually on the right side under the floor board on the front of the bellhousing. Will have a Welch plug in it.

/ L35 Engine valve adjustment #6  
I did it several times during the 25 years we owned the 1983 240D Benz. I just pushed on the fan belt and rotated the crankshaft with the plastic fan blades. Just be sure you're going in the right direction.

It's best if you can get a wrench on the nut on the end of the crankshaft, but this can be an access problem.

Ralph

/ L35 Engine valve adjustment #7  
Thanks. Now if I can figure out where the flywheel inspection port is I'll be all set. I have a shop manual but it assumes way too much instead of putting in a simple graphic. It reads like the engine is sitting on a stand instead of in the tractor.

Highlighted in yellow on right side of the bell housing. You may have to remove right side loader frame to get access.

IMG_0304.JPG

/ L35 Engine valve adjustment #8  
Though I don't often agree with Ralph, his way is the easiest and just watch the overhead and observe when both valves are completely extended. In my case I have 3 valves, one intake and 2 exhaust but it's still the same deal.

/ L35 Engine valve adjustment #9  
You can always use the EO/IC rule.

Watch the valve train when rotating the engine. Adjust Intake when the exhaust starts to open and adjust Exhaust when the intake is closing.

As long as the lift is on the base circle of the cam the valve can be checked.

/ L35 Engine valve adjustment #10  
Per the 4500 Ford backhoe shop manual, valve check and adjustment was done at operating temperature and while running. Had to be quick not to pinch your feeler gauge. That was the best running and cleanest oil of any diesel I’ve had.