L35 questions

/ L35 questions #1  

BeezFun

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B2710
I want to buy a larger used tractor, I used to rent L35s for foundations and really liked them but it's been a long time and I have a few questions.
  1. 3pt hitch
    I never had the backhoe off, do they have a smooth 3pt hitch? Does hoe come off easy and does it leave part of frame that gets in way of 3pt implements? I will use this a lot for bush hogging.
  2. Front snow thrower
    I want to mount a front snowthrower on whatever I get, does it have a mid-PTO? Anyone mounted a front thrower that's powered off rear PTO? Does Kubota make a front thrower for L35 or do I need to get some other brand?
  3. Different models
    I know they made the L35 for awhile, were there any problem models or things to look out for? I'm pretty sure none of them had HST, the ones we used had what I think is called GST now, not sure that's what it was called in those days.
Any other comments about L35 are welcome.

/ L35 questions #2  
Kubota L35 TLB produced 1999-2004. 35-hp/6,000 pounds.

Are you sure you want to look for a TLB that old? Old backhoes are notorious for problems. Do you need a backhoe for the tasks you foresee for this much heavier tractor?

Todays equivalent is the L3560. So the major upgrades have been L35 to L3510 to L3520 to L3530 to L3540 to L3560. (~no L3550)

Today backhoes are an option, not packaged with the tractor.

Here is a link to the Kubota web site, under heading "LEARN" there is a sub-heading "PRIOR PRODUCTS".

Kubota Tractor Corporation

Last edited:
   / L35 questions
Are you sure you want to look for a TLB that old? Old backhoes are notorious for problems. Do you need a backhoe for the tasks you foresee for this much heavier tractor?

I've seen several L35s with a few hundred hours, someone buys them and they sit in a garage. I wouldn't buy a rental unit or high hour unit, but something like that tends to be a good buy because it's older. I wish I had a backhoe about once every few months, so it's not a necessity but sure would be nice because I never take the time to go rent one, I just kill myself trying to do the job some other way.
Thanks for the other info, I'll check that out.

/ L35 questions #4  
I wish I had a backhoe about once every few months, so it's not a necessity but sure would be nice.

I have found a Bucket Spade to be very useful and a fair substitute for a backhoe except for trenching. My 33-hp/1,900 pound tractor has about the minimum bucket "beef" to make a Bucket Spade effective.

Tractor Forks, Bucket Forks, Loader Forks

Attachments

• IMG_0673.jpg
    IMG_0673.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 301
  • IMG_0469.JPG
    IMG_0469.JPG
    92.1 KB · Views: 257
  • IMG_0471.JPG
    IMG_0471.JPG
    102.4 KB · Views: 337
  • IMG_0428.jpg
    IMG_0428.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 405
  • IMG_0434.JPG
    IMG_0434.JPG
    98.4 KB · Views: 304
  • IMG_0429.JPG
    IMG_0429.JPG
    85.4 KB · Views: 688
   / L35 questions #5  
The backhoe comes off and on in just a few minutes. May take a little practice at first though. I take it off to use a tiller and the 3 pt hitch seems to work fine and smooth (up and down). It has a clutch you press just for forward and reverse. No need to use it to change gears.

Mine is a 1996 and haven't had any trouble so far, but only has 400 hrs on it. The L35's do have a good reputation for being strong and well built.

I don't think a pto front snow blower is possible. Need something hydraulic and will need to ad it to the front. You my get lucky and find a used model already set up with extra front hydraulic hoses.

/ L35 questions #6  
I have a 1995 L35 TLB that I bought this spring with 1028 hrs on it. So far I have just put 70 hrs on it doing land clearing plus site preparation and footings for an equipment shed. I have not had any problems with either the loader or the backhoe and it runs like a top. It is a strong little machine for a 35 hp tractor. The newer L39 and L45 have more digging power and are a heavier machines but also more money. I am the third owner of my L35 and the previous two were both farmers in Alberta, so it did not see any rental useage (which I would avoid if buying). I got the L35 because I felt it provided good value at a reasonable price. So far I have not had the backhoe off but I do have all the 3 pt arms etc and I plan to use it that way once I complete the rest of the land clearing (about 2 acres to go). I have seen machines advertised with over 3000 hours so it would seem that they last for a good long time if properly maintained and cared for.

/ L35 questions #7  
Jeff, I would be really careful with that bucket spade. That looks like a great way to destroy a bucket by bending it in the middle.

/ L35 questions #8  
Jeff, I would be really careful with that bucket spade. That looks like a great way to destroy a bucket by bending it in the middle.

Thank you for the caution.

Spade is well engineered. There is 14" of support under the bucket. It is a snug first BEFORE the screw pads are tightened. I have used it a lot. The only bucket wear is some minor paint scuffs where the screw pads contact. Good tool.

That said, I would not mount it on the bucket of a BX series sub-compact tractor.

Snohomish.....nice there, along the river. I have family in Everett.

/ L35 questions
The backhoe comes off and on in just a few minutes. May take a little practice at first though. I take it off to use a tiller and the 3 pt hitch seems to work fine and smooth (up and down). It has a clutch you press just for forward and reverse. No need to use it to change gears.

Mine is a 1996 and haven't had any trouble so far, but only has 400 hrs on it. The L35's do have a good reputation for being strong and well built.

I don't think a pto front snow blower is possible. Need something hydraulic and will need to ad it to the front. You my get lucky and find a used model already set up with extra front hydraulic hoses.

Amazing how many of those older machines have so few hours. Thanks for info about backhoe, I would probably leave mine off most of the time.
I've looked at after market front snowthrowers, they can generally be run off the rear pto using a gear box and long shaft, but it's an expensive and difficult to mount solution. Maybe a hydraulic unit would be better, not sure about cost.

/ L35 questions
So far I have not had the backhoe off but I do have all the 3 pt arms etc and I plan to use it that way once I complete the rest of the land clearing (about 2 acres to go).
Do the 3pt arms need to be removed to install backhoe? My concern was that the presence of backhoe subframe might restrict motion or use of 3pt in some way.