L3800 3pt hitch operation

/ L3800 3pt hitch operation #11  
...OK, enough of that, there are a couple of very long threads here devoted to the topic, without redesigning the tractor we've exhausted most if not all avenues...
Ahh, this again... first of all mine is Grand L smooth, why? ...because (back when you could) I threw one heck of a whinny screaming ***** fit!!! Those days are gone...

Remember the guy, a little while ago, that complained about his L3400 - and he was tarred and feathered and got ran off TBN. His dealer *was* going to "fix" the jerky hitch. I suspect the same "fix" that I got would still work... and that is replacing the valve with one from a Grand L. THAT IS... if you can buy one. (now that the cat's out of the bag... "headquarters" will put a stop to that). :cool::rolleyes:

PS. The jerk is much better than the 2004 and 2005-ish models. Old threads have the Serial number cutoffs... Remember, $16,000 is considered "economical" class :confused2:

/ L3800 3pt hitch operation #12  
This is the first I've read of this problem and I've noticed it with my 2010 L3700 with a load on it. It wasn't a harsh action but not as smooth as my B1700. I have the draft control turned back for a slower rise and fall.

Does the draft contol affect this problem? I haven't experimented with it yet since I only recently noticed it.

Not a problem but maybe an annoyance.

When you say draft control, are you referring to the small knob under the front edge of the seat?

If so, that's a restrictor on the "lower" side of the 3ph cylinder plumbing, it has no effect on the "raise" portion of the circuit. It's meant to slow down the rate of drop on heavy implements.

Sean

/ L3800 3pt hitch operation #13  
Why does everyone have to say Economy Class ...SO are we the economy people not to expect the same basic mechanical attributes that the elite group gets..Are we to have square tires, missing steering wheels etc...Those things would be obvious, but no where does it state that you are to get jerky 3pt hitches because you werent fortunate enough to buy a $ 30,ooo dollar tractor...Just from my economy point of view

/ L3800 3pt hitch operation #14  
Why does everyone have to say Economy Class ...SO are we the economy people not to expect the same basic mechanical attributes that the elite group gets..Are we to have square tires, missing steering wheels etc...Those things would be obvious, but no where does it state that you are to get jerky 3pt hitches because you werent fortunate enough to buy a $ 30,000 dollar tractor...Just from my economy point of view

No matter the nomenclature, standard or economy, there is no excuse for a substandard hitch on modern tractors. We have some older tractors with that type of hitch, but they were made many years ago and the ones made today work as they should.

As much as I like Kubota, they are going to have to step up their game in some areas or they will start losing market share.

/ L3800 3pt hitch operation #15  
Why does everyone have to say Economy Class...
because those are kubota's words... in several replies about trying to upgrade valves. "You bought the economy line and that is the valve you get".

/ L3800 3pt hitch operation #16  
I think it was a case of the overall design of the valve/cylinder/linkage combination creating a lack of smooth operation. By the time it was apparent it was probably too far along in the process to go back without making major changes.

All in all, it's an annoyance, and one all the owners of the L series would like to have corrected. It's not a show-stopper by any means, just less than what we've come to expect from Kubota.

They took a chance by leaving it unresolved, and their gamble has paid off handsomely. I think there are very few owners that were aware of it when they signed on the dotted line, and those that were aware decided it wasn't a big deal.

I fall into the first group, and can live with it. The next time I buy a tractor (if ever !) it's going to have an implement mounted on the 3 ph and cycled up and down before any money changes hands. That being said, I'm sure there'll be other "flaws" I'll miss during the buying process.

The L series are good tractors, overall. Sort of like a good woman with a wart on the end of her nose.

Sean

/ L3800 3pt hitch operation #17  
I think it was a case of the overall design of the valve/cylinder/linkage combination creating a lack of smooth operation. By the time it was apparent it was probably too far along in the process to go back without making major changes.

All in all, it's an annoyance, and one all the owners of the L series would like to have corrected. It's not a show-stopper by any means, just less than what we've come to expect from Kubota.

They took a chance by leaving it unresolved, and their gamble has paid off handsomely. I think there are very few owners that were aware of it when they signed on the dotted line, and those that were aware decided it wasn't a big deal.

I fall into the first group, and can live with it. The next time I buy a tractor (if ever !) it's going to have an implement mounted on the 3 ph and cycled up and down before any money changes hands. That being said, I'm sure there'll be other "flaws" I'll miss during the buying process.

The L series are good tractors, overall. Sort of like a good woman with a wart on the end of her nose.

Sean

Couldn't have said it better.. Just not a big deal for most things. Boompole excepted maybe, and I dont have a boompole. I am thinking about making one for the FEL tho:thumbsup:. I love my L3400, warts and all:laughing:

/ L3800 3pt hitch operation #18  
I am sure it is a personal thing kind of like position control or lack thereof on the BX/B20 Series. It will be a deal breaker for some and not for others. I personally will never buy another tractor without position control if someone makes the same size with it and I will never buy a tractor with jerky 3-point, I already have a couple of those and they aggravate the heck out of me.

Whether or not it bothers someone, I see it as a failure on the part of Kubota and they need to build good tractors, not those that are just "good enough" that owners will overlook their flaws.

/ L3800 3pt hitch operation #19  
For me, with using a boompole, it would have been a deal breaker IF I knew about it. I feel that by NOT hooking an implement up and showing how the 3ph works, dealers are hiding the fact that it's jerky. I know "buyer beware"...

I would not buy a L3200/3800 tractor if mine needed to be replaced today. I would have replaced my L2800 tractor a long time ago instead of living with the problem, too. :2cents: (I had the valves replaced)

Now to disclose some reasons... I don't know if the seats on the new tractors are better; ie. suspension seats would be "stuck" in the down position straight from the dealer. So, the jerk resonated through my spine...:mad: So not only did we have a jerkier valve (older model), we felt it more. (this does sound like an older timer... "back then... we walked to school, uphill..." but at least 50yo tractors had smoother valves!?!?)

/ L3800 3pt hitch operation #20  
For me, with using a boompole, it would have been a deal breaker IF I knew about it. I feel that by NOT hooking an implement up and showing how the 3ph works, dealers are hiding the fact that it's jerky. I know "buyer beware"...

I would not buy a L3200/3800 tractor if mine needed to be replaced today. I would have replaced my L2800 tractor a long time ago instead of living with the problem, too. :2cents: (I had the valves replaced)

Now to disclose some reasons... I don't know if the seats on the new tractors are better; ie. suspension seats would be "stuck" in the down position straight from the dealer. So, the jerk resonated through my spine...:mad: So not only did we have a jerkier valve (older model), we felt it more. (this does sound like an older timer... "back then... we walked to school, uphill..." but at least 50yo tractors had smoother valves!?!?)

You've pretty much summed up my feelings as well.

Sean