L3800 3pt hitch operation

/ L3800 3pt hitch operation #21  
If I were buying another tractor the jerky 3 pt. would be a deal breaker for me. When I bought my L3400 HST new in 2005? the very first thing I did was try to dig post holes. It jerked so bad the dirt would fall back in the hole. I knew it was listed as an "economy" tractor but nobody told me you would not be able to drill a post hole!

I also got to go through the PTO issues and Kubota did take care of everything and it has been a fine tractor since but when I paid more for this tractor and some attachments than my last new car I don't think it is unreasonable to expect to work properly.

When I shopped for this tractor I looked at green ones and red ones as well as the Kubota. This "economy" tractor was not any less expensive than the tractors I was comparing with. No, I did not even think to check if the 3 pt. was smooth on any of them. I picked the Kubota based meeting my needs and reputation.

When it comes time for a new tractor I feel I am much more educated now than in 2005. I really am disappointed that problem with the 3 pt. even still exists. Economy or not it is a tractor and the 3 pt. should be smooth. Brian

/ L3800 3pt hitch operation #22  
...I also got to go through the PTO issues and Kubota did take care of everything...
Brian, do you have a thread on this... My tiller "slips" and I'm a little worried about the PTO...

/ L3800 3pt hitch operation #23  
I have a 2010 L3400 and the hitch jerks, although apparently not to the extent that the older ones do. I had no idea the new 3800 models have the same issue.

I love my tractor but the jerky hitch is b.s. when you consider what the machine costs. My dealer didn't say a word about it being an "economy" model, and neither does anything I've seen on Kubota's website. The only time you hear it addressed as such is when you contact somebody to complain about the hitch.

I don't have that much difficulty using it. As a matter of fact, it's convenient for jarring dirt off of implements. You can't feather with it, though. I just raise it quickly enough that it doesn't jerk, unless I want to knock dirt off of whatever's hooked up at the time. Regardless, my next one, if I ever get another one, won't have a jerky hitch. It's senseless and other brands in the same price range don't have that issue.

/ L3800 3pt hitch operation #24  
Brian, do you have a thread on this... My tiller "slips" and I'm a little worried about the PTO...

I tried to search on this for you with no luck. It is here somewhere. When I have more time I will look. There are pictures of the old and updated pto parts. The new one was much quieter and more positive engagement on my chipper. I do not have a tiller but that probably stresses the pto the most? Brian

/ L3800 3pt hitch operation #25  
I'll find it... just wanted to make sure you had a post of it!!!

/ L3800 3pt hitch operation #26  
I'll find it... just wanted to make sure you had a post of it!!!

It is here somewhere. One of the guy's had pictures of the old and new design pto cams. The old ones had a ramp and the new ones are square cut.

Since those early days my tractor has been flawless. The only other thing I did was bump up the hydraulic pressure so the loader would actually pick something up.

The embarassing part is it will be 6 years old in May and I have 70 hrs. on it. I really thought I would use it more and at that rate I can't justify a bigger or new tractor. Brian

/ L3800 3pt hitch operation #27  
What was the pressure on your loader when you checked it?

Sean

/ L3800 3pt hitch operation #28  
I don't remember the exact pressure numbers and there is a thread on that subject on here also. When I first bought it after I had so much trouble with the post holes I thought I would try the loader and spread some gravel. I drove up to a pile of 5/8 minus rock and it would not lift a bucket load out of the pile. It does now after bumping up the relief valve. Brian

/ L3800 3pt hitch operation #29  
Hi All,

I know this is an older thread and this issue has come up a number of times over the years. My situation is a bit different though. See what you guys think?

I bought my first tractor back in December of 2010. It was my first and really was to be my last. It is used 99% of the time for maintaining a 1300 foot little private road and about the same amount of private driveway. I bought a new Kubota L2800. But before I bought it, I did some research and discovered the jerky hitch issue. I went to my dealer, the one I decided I would be buying from, and asked about it. The owner, who has been a Kubota dealer for many many years, told me that he had not heard much of that issue for quite a while, but he did recall there being an issue. He said he thought that Kubota had dealt with the issue and thought there might be a Technical Service Bulletin on it. He did some research right then and there and found an "informational bulletin", which he showed me. It indicated that after a certain serial number and date, the issue had been corrected with another valve. The informational bulletin was dated, if I remember correctly, back in 2005. And my serial number was like 8000 past the serial number listed in the bulletin. So all seemed fine...I was satisfied that the issue had been corrected.

I bought the L2800 and found that it still jerked. I complained and my dealer came and picked the tractor up and took it back to their shop. A factory rep visited and called me that same day. He explained that they let some of the air out of the tires so it would not be so bouncy, and that they adjusted the 3pt hitch up down lever for some reason I don't remember. He told me I probably would not see much difference, that it was a standard tractor and as such did not have all the frills that the more expensive tractors have. He was right, I didn't see any difference. He also told me that there was another valve that would make it operate smooth, but that the mounting holes were different and so they could not put it on. I have used the tractor very little since it was delivered back to me. It has maybe 8 hours on it total.

Some people say it doesn't bother them. For what I use it for, it bothers me a lot. It seems that I always need the scrape blade or the box scraper to be just a hair higher or lower than it is after jerking to a stop. I would not have bought this tractor if I had known and it makes me mad because the dealer in good faith thought it had been fixed also.

A few days ago I wrote a letter to Kubota explaining my position and that I have an economy 2001 Toyota Camry, not the highest trim level, but the windows still roll up smoothly. Kubota could have fixed the problem by making an adapter bracket for another valve to fit.....it would have cost them pennies, but in the long run it will cost them thousands. I know they make great tractors in general, but I would have a hard time buying again from a company who doesn't stand behind their mistake. And it is a mistake. I should not be jerky. As others have said, there are too many other good tractor manufacturers out there. Orange isn't the only color on the planet.

I'll post what their reply is, but I'm not holding my breath. I really don't expect they will fix for me what they haven't fixed for many others who have also complained. I get the last laugh though, in watching my money go to another company, after I exhause all avenues with Kubota.

Alex

/ L3800 3pt hitch operation #30  
I stopped and looked at an L-3800 today. I like it... ALOT!

I could use a bit more power and the weight to apply it, but, if it has the same 3 point hitch issues as the other "so called economy tractors," I'll stand pat.. That jerky 3 point would be a deal breaker for me!

It seems so foolish on Kubota's part that this should still be an issue!