L3800 Won't Start.

/ L3800 Won't Start. #1  

bookemdano

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L3800 & BX2680
I have a Kubota L3800 HST, 2011 model. In the last year it's been giving me fits with one problem.
It sometimes, won't start. Battery reading at 13.7. Turn the key and all the little lights in the dash
come on, but nothing. No clicking, no sound whatsoever. I changed out the Seat Safety switch and
the Clutch Safety switch and it seemed to work for a while, but it sometimes would do that anyway.
Work fine for a couple months then start the same crap over again.
Today, it wouldn't start. I banged the seat, Popped the clutch a few times and that had worked in
the past, not today. Then I was turning around to get to the toolbox with my foot on the brake
and that slipped off, banging the brake pedal. I sat back down and mashed the clutch, held the
brake and it started.
My question, is there a Safety Switch for the Brake too? I searched the net and the parts list and
can't find one. If someone can help me out and send me in the right direction if there is one,
I'd sure appreciate it. The nearest dealer in 70 miles away and if I can fix it myself, it'll save me
a bunch of money and headache.
Dano

/ L3800 Won't Start. #2  
See other threads on similar topic-- sometimes the full batt voltage is not getting to the solenoid. You can test for that by hooking a battery charger to the battery (regardless of the battery condition) and see if it then starts. If it does, the problem was voltage drop across many safeties, etc. between the battery and the solenoid. The higher voltage of the charger overcomes the slight voltage drops. Deere and others sell kits (using a relay to put full batt voltage to the solenoid) for that disease. A Kubota dealer put mine on and they called it a "hard start kit."

A second possibility is that some of us have older Kubotas that will not start or do anything towards it but if you tap on the starter motor (like put a long rod of steel on the starter motor otherwise hard to reach and tap it with a hammer) then it starts OK. That is argued to be a worn starter or other things.

Your battery does not read 13.7v It reads very close to 12v. Your alternator output or battery charger output may read 13.7v but not the battery.

Of course there are several safety interconnects that have to be satisfied in order to start it and I cannot recall all of them. None are for brakes that I ever heard of. My B2150's have one for the clutch (which is a very visible external switch closed by the clutch pedal.)

/ L3800 Won't Start. #3  
Clutch,pto,and seat switches are the only ones I'm aware of that affect starting. I don't think there is a switch on the brakes other than for the brake lights.

• Good Post
Reactions: JWR
   / L3800 Won't Start. #4  
Start by cleaning your battery terminals and cable connectors. Tighten securely. Follow ground lead to frame. Clean and tighten there, too. Your battery CAN read 13.7 volts immediately after charging. It's called a surface charge. It will go back to a nominal 12.6 volts on its own. Monitor your battery voltage while operating the starter. It should register ten to eleven volts. If it's lower than that have it load tested. It may be time to replace it.

/ L3800 Won't Start. #5  
There is a safety switch on the HST treadle. It needs to be centered. Sometimes the mechanism (or damper attached to it) will stick if it has not been properly maintained, and not go back to center. Take a look, hit the grease points and spray lube anything else.

/ L3800 Won't Start. #7  
See other threads on similar topic-- sometimes the full batt voltage is not getting to the solenoid. You can test for that by hooking a battery charger to the battery (regardless of the battery condition) and see if it then starts. If it does, the problem was voltage drop across many safeties, etc. between the battery and the solenoid. The higher voltage of the charger overcomes the slight voltage drops. Deere and others sell kits (using a relay to put full batt voltage to the solenoid) for that disease. A Kubota dealer put mine on and they called it a "hard start kit."

A second possibility is that some of us have older Kubotas that will not start or do anything towards it but if you tap on the starter motor (like put a long rod of steel on the starter motor otherwise hard to reach and tap it with a hammer) then it starts OK. That is argued to be a worn starter or other things.

Your battery does not read 13.7v It reads very close to 12v. Your alternator output or battery charger output may read 13.7v but not the battery.

Of course there are several safety interconnects that have to be satisfied in order to start it and I cannot recall all of them. None are for brakes that I ever heard of. My B2150's have one for the clutch (which is a very visible external switch closed by the clutch pedal.)
Only tractors I have ever seen with a safety switch on the brakes were Deutz Fahr Agroplus's. Had to have the clutch pushed in and the five speed in neutral too lol. No actual brake lights though. Thought that was kinda weird.

/ L3800 Won't Start.

You're right about the voltage, it's the alternator that reads 13.7. Battery is only 5 months old.
and I had it tested. It's in great shape. I've been reading threads on this problem and it does
seem to be a Kubota problem with as many cures as there are owners its happening to.

/ L3800 Won't Start.
When was the last time you greased the 3 zerks under the tractor? It's most likely the HST petal not centering... Hold the start key in the "ON" position and rock the HST petal back and forth...
I'll check this out tomorrow. I greased it this spring but it's been a real wet and muddy
year. That could be the problem.
Thanks
Dano

/ L3800 Won't Start.
I'll check this out tomorrow. I greased it this spring but it's been a real wet and muddy
year. That could be the problem.
Thanks
Dano
When was the last time you greased the 3 zerks under the tractor? It's most likely the HST petal not centering... Hold the start key in the "ON" position and rock the HST petal back and forth...
I crawled under there and cleaned then greased every zerk I could find. It started right up so
now only time will tell if that was the problem or not.
I want to thank everyone who responded. I really appreciate the help. I'm 73 and had
to have a pacemaker put in couple years ago. Not my fault, the Doc changed my BP med
and I had a bad reaction to it. Ended up in the ER then ICU. The medication (which is the
same BP med my wife has taken for 20 years) damaged the sinus node in my heart and
I had to go to a pacemaker to keep it beating. It was stopping for as long as 13 seconds
at a time.
Anyway, that's my last trip under the tractor to do anything. I'll drive it to the NAPA
store from now on and supervise them doing the maintenance. When I greased it this
Spring, I had my younger brother help with the underneath part and he may have missed
these. He's since had a bad accident and won't be helping me anymore.
So, thanks again for all the help.
Dano