L45 vs M59 - or skidsteer

/ L45 vs M59 - or skidsteer #11  
How well would the L45 lift 2000 lbs? I've never looked at the specs but that's got to be near it's limit.

/ L45 vs M59 - or skidsteer #12  
I would appreciate any insight you folks can provide to assist me in making this decision.

I've had an M59 for the past three years now. The M59 is more of a commerical duty machine than either the B26 or L45. It has noticibly more ability with the loader and backhoe. Commerical duty means the M59 weighs more, has more control features, heavier construction, is more stable on rough terrain. It turns sharply and has larger tires for more traction with less footprint. The seating and room in thecab is more comfortable in a commercial machine. On the downside, it also burns noticibly more fuel.

Opinions about tractors and their abilities seem to generate different opinions, and it sounds to me like you are looking for that sort of sounding board. My own opinion is based on a lifetime working on and with tractors and machines of all kinds. I'd say that on a continuuim with the B26 on one end and the Case 580 at the other I'd put the L45 at about a quarter point and the M59 at a bit over the half way mark. And I like them all. I see the L45 as being the largest most capable version of the B26. The M59 is more like a smaller relative of the Case 580.
rScotty

/ L45 vs M59 - or skidsteer
Thanks rScotty. Your insight is appreciated. If I was buying new, I would definitely just go for the L45 with a cab as I really do not need the M59. However, I have the opportunity to acquire the M59 with a cab (and around 500 hours on it) for the same or less money than a new L45 with a cab so that is why I am considering it.

For those talking about digging with the skid steer, that is not my intent. If I go the SS route, I will be keeping the B26. The B26 is not very useful for digging once the frost is in the ground so all I currently use it for in the winter is snow removal. The SS has some attraction in that I can use it year round on my job sites as a forklift and snow removal machine with a cab while still having the B26 at home to deal with my laneway snow - although it will not have a cab. If I need to do some job site digging I will bring in the B26 or rent a larger machine if required. If I go the L45 or M59 route I will only have one machine which is perhaps better from a maintenance point of view but it does mean that I will have to move it around more.

I would really like to get some additional comments from those who looked at both the L45 and M59 and why you chose one over the other.

According to the spec sheets, the L45 TLB is about 7,200 pounds vs the M59 at 8,350 so not a huge difference. As pointed out elsewhere the M59 has a tighter turning circle of 9.8 ft. vs the L45 at 11.2 so it appears the M59 would be just as maneuverable. Width wise it looks like the M59 is only about 4 inches wider than an L45.

Unfortunately my local dealer only has an L45 on his lot at this time and it is about a three hour drive to the M59 with the cab so it is difficult for me to compare the two machines side by side which is why I was looking for some TBN help in wrestling with this decision.

/ L45 vs M59 - or skidsteer #14  
I don't have knowledge of the tractors (sorry.) But my brother had a rubber-tracked Gehl skid loader, and I can tell you, in the winter when the snow gets hard packed, it doesn't go very well. Unless you're on a perfectly flat surface, that is. I watched him load a trailer on his driveway one time in snowy conditions and I was amazed. I thought skid loaders were the cream of the crop - but not after that. He had a very hard time getting traction. Now he did say it would be a different story if he had wheels instead of tracks.

Chris

/ L45 vs M59 - or skidsteer #15  
How well would the L45 lift 2000 lbs? I've never looked at the specs but that's got to be near it's limit.

The L45 is rated for 2200 lb at mid bucket at full height so it should handle 2000 lb pallets at lower heights.

Width wise it looks like the M59 is only about 4 inches wider than an L45.

The standard bucket on the L45 is 72" where as the M59 has an 84" bucket.

/ L45 vs M59 - or skidsteer #16  
Thanks rScotty. Your insight is appreciated. If I was buying new, I would definitely just go for the L45 with a cab as I really do not need the M59. However, I have the opportunity to acquire the M59 with a cab (and around 500 hours on it) for the same or less money than a new L45 with a cab so that is why I am considering it.

Now I've got a question for you. Why would you consider the L45 when the M59 is available for the same money? You must feel that the L45 has some advantage, and I'm curious what that would be. My original choice was between the L45 and the JD110. I couldn't make up my mind but was leaning toward the JD when I got a chance to use the M59.
The bucket on the M59 is huge, and I didn't think I would like it at first. But it seems to handle it surprisingly well. In fact, the width means that I can work closer to edges of things and also makes it possible somehow to know exactly where the tilt is relative to what I'm doing. So it is OK.
I don't know if tippyness is a factor for you, but the M59 is not as tippy as smaller tractors...though more so than the Case.
rScotty

Well rScotty I guess it is just because I had been thinking of going to the L45 and had not really considered the M59. I only have about an acre at home (but lots of landscaping is required) so I was concerned the M59 might be too big and unwieldy at the homestead. I know it will be ideal for my job site requirements but don't want to destroy my lawn if I have to go accross it with the M59.

So far all the comments I have read seem to be positive regarding the M59 and so I think I am going to go check the machine out on the weekend.

/ L45 vs M59 - or skidsteer #18  
Well rScotty I guess it is just because I had been thinking of going to the L45 and had not really considered the M59. I only have about an acre at home (but lots of landscaping is required) so I was concerned the M59 might be too big and unwieldy at the homestead. I know it will be ideal for my job site requirements but don't want to destroy my lawn if I have to go accross it with the M59.

OK. I understand now. I have more land and it is rough hilly rocky wild land with a creek and a forest of live and dead trees. Frankly, if I had an acre of nice land with landscaping and grass I would stay with the B26. I'd spend the money to get a cab for it, get some nice big soft turf tires for the summer and some light traction chains to put on the front for the winter ice. Turfs will also get you the lowered stance and side stability to carry more in the bucket. IMHO, you already have the perfect machine for your land. Put some nice features on it and enjoy it. And get any crude old machine for the job site.
rScotty

/ L45 vs M59 - or skidsteer #19  
Thanks rScotty. .....I would really like to get some additional comments from those who looked at both the L45 and M59 and why you chose one over the other.... .

I looked at both machines when I was shopping. Needless to say I took the 59 and haven't looked back.

It's a beast for it's size, and I push it to the limits often. There are times that I wish I had a bigger machine...then again there are time I'd like something smaller. The 59 does everything well, and with some common sense will not kill the yard. A few passes on the lawn won't destroy it, but it's not a lawn mower either, so it will make ruts if you make repeated passes over the same area, particularly with a load. For that matter, so will the L45.

The L45 is about 85% of the weight of the M59. In most of the major spec categories (Max loader, breakout, dipperstick and bucket) the M59 has about 30% more power...and is more powerful pound-for-pound than the 45. It's more in line with the pound-for-pound power of a construction TLB like the 580 Super M. Bear in minds specs can be misleading though...have you thought about renting both to see which machine will suit your needs better?

-Mark

Well folks after a great deal of consideration, I have decided to stick with my B26 for now. In the end I was going to have to spend about $30,000 to upgrade to an L45 and still not have a cab and I just decided that was too much for the limited times when I need L45 versus B26 capability. The M59 dealer offered me a ridiculous trade in value for the B26 so a new L45 with a Laurin cab was about the same cost and I would have warranty.

I am going to see how life and finances progress over the next couple of years and may upgrade to an L45 later. For this year, I have added the thumb and am about to add the auxiliary front hydraulics for my new Grattex snow blade. That additional work will consume my Kubota budget for this year so it will be at least another year before I will move snow in heated comfort.

Thanks again for all you thoughts.