L45 vs M59 - or skidsteer

/ L45 vs M59 - or skidsteer #21  
Well folks after a great deal of consideration, I have decided to stick with my B26 for now.....

For this year, I have added the thumb and am about to add the auxiliary front hydraulics for my new Grattex snow blade. That additional work will consume my Kubota budget for this year so it will be at least another year before I will move snow in heated comfort.
Thanks again for all you thoughts.

I think you did the right thing. Snow varies. Normally ours is measured by how many times it snows multiple feet. Last year it was only a few times and then in inches. I haven't put chains on the tractor in 2 years.

The thumb on the backhoe is way more useful than any cab would be. It gets used every day. A front snow blade would be handy too. Both - or either - would get my vote over a cab.
rScotty

/ L45 vs M59 - or skidsteer #22  
Resurrecting this thread because I'm in the same boat looking at some used machines.

I can get a L45 with a thumb for about $4000 less than than an M59 with no thumb. I could put that $4000 into adding front and rear remotes and a top and tilt. For a homeowner needing to clear snow, maintain a gravel drive, clear brush, and do landscape work including some regrading of the lawn for drainage and some stump removal, would I be better off with the upgraded L45 or the more spartan M59?

I am only using it for personal use or for helping out the neighbors, and I don't intend to ever sell it, so I'm trying to make a BIFL decision.

/ L45 vs M59 - or skidsteer #23  
Get the one that best suits your needs. Do you need more loader lift capacity? More PTO HP? Then get the M59.

Sounds like the L45 with all the options would suit your needs. I personally wouldn't get a tractor without the remotes or a backhoe without a thumb. It's easy to add them but way more expensive after the fact.

Last question to ask yourself - do you NEED the backhoe or would you rather have a nice cab? Sometimes a nice CUT with cab and frame mount backhoe will do the job adequately. The M59/L45 don't come with factory cabs and adding one is $$$.

If you are planning on a lot of root work and heavy digging then the M59 might suit your needs better as they are designed/built a lot more heavy duty than the AG tractors.

/ L45 vs M59 - or skidsteer #24  
Resurrecting this thread because I'm in the same boat looking at some used machines.

I can get a L45 with a thumb for about $4000 less than than an M59 with no thumb. I could put that $4000 into adding front and rear remotes and a top and tilt. For a homeowner needing to clear snow, maintain a gravel drive, clear brush, and do landscape work including some regrading of the lawn for drainage and some stump removal, would I be better off with the upgraded L45 or the more spartan M59?

I am only using it for personal use or for helping out the neighbors, and I don't intend to ever sell it, so I'm trying to make a BIFL decision.

That IS an old thread you've revived...From way back in 2011 ! My old dog wasn't even a puppy back then.

First, a snow update because it does impact this thread. I've lived here in the Rocky Mountains at 7000 feet+ for over half a century now, and snow removal used to be the big thing we thought about first when buying a tractor - but no longer. Since this thread was started we are in a warm cycle here. Instead of feet of snow that stayed all winter, we now tend to get inches every few weeks that melts off. Late and early season rains with flooding seem to have replaced the snow; flooding was severe in 2013. Maybe that will change someday, Maybe not.

The point I'm trying to make with the snow is that you should get a tractor that meets your needs right now. The future may be different.

I remember that your land was somewhere in the SouthEast? and was one rough-cleared but with stumps and such, plus another 5 acres or so that you want to clear. That pretty much excludes skid steers. Good as they are, they are best on hard even surface, not reshaping raw land. In a big concrete barn with stalls they are great. Also good if your farmyard is the style with lots of pens and corrals. Keep in mind that skid steers tend to stir up the dirt while tractors tend to compact it.
A tractor is a more universal tool than a skid steer, and travels better on uneven ground.

On the L45 with thumb vs the M59 without? That's a neat question. Both are big enough without being outsize. I do think you are looking at the proper type machine, and think that either would fit your BIFL requirement. Yes, I would stay with mainstream brands for your first tractor.

Here are some some things to think about for the first time tractor buyer:

Rear remotes for top and tilt. Very nice to have, but certainly not necessary. I'd put it on the bottom of the list. T&T is an an expensive option and still not common. That is because in in use, rear implements are traditionally adjusted for tilt manually and then the 3pt hitch control is worked to raise and lower them as needed for depth of soil engagement. That is sufficient, and manual adjustment works just fine. Put that money elsewhere. Into a grapple and thumb perhaps.

A front end loader should have a SSQA adapter for the bucket and front remotes. Then you can hook up anything that a Skid Steer can operate - which opens up a world of rental and borrowed equipment that you can try before or instead of buying. Front remotes are more useful than rear remotes and you are more likely to find them already installed on a used machine. Keep in mind that with hoses you can pipe pressure anywhere. Get a clip-on root rake for the front of the bucket for clearing brush. Inexpensive and handy. Keep your eyes open for a basic grapple that fits your existing bucket & plan to get it someday.... sooner if you have poison ivy.

Horsepower & transmission : For your land, go larger than 35 HP and get HST with as many speeds as possible. Both the L45 and M59 have plenty of power and weight. With the low gearing and 4wd, you will rarely use the full power of either one, but the weight is nice to have. I don't know what tranny the L45 has, but the HST+ on the M59 is fantastic. As you follow threads on TBN you may notice that experienced owners who are replacing tractors tend to go larger, rarely smaller. To me it seems that more are looking for features, comfort, stability and clearance than are needing more horsepower.

Tire size, ground, mud & snow clearance, & sidehill stability. You don't know how important these are yet, but you certainly are going to find out.
For clearing new land, these are the things that are going to limit the tractor more than any other one thing. The L45 is good in that department; but the M59 is better simply because it is larger and higher. More comfortable, too.

Cab - I wouldn't recommend it for a first time buyer doing the type of work you are looking at. You can always add it. Most owners do not.

Backhoe - a lot of people don't do much backhoe work recommend avoiding it, or getting a 3pt style, or subframe mount, or suggest renting rather than a dedicated backhoe.
Fine, but for what you are describing, you will be using the backhoe as a primary too. It will be used as much as the tractor will & possibly more. That's why I like the idea of the L45 and M59 for your use. Be SURE to get the 3pt kit. If the machine you buy doesn't have it, then order the specific 3pt kit for that model the day you get the tractor. Those kinds of specific kits aren't always available in later years.

The thumb? Well, if you have a use for a backhoe then you probably have a use for a thumb as well. I'll always have one. But you can get by without it by squeezing big loads of brush, or big rocks, or tree trunks between the bucket and the inside of the outer backhoe arm. In fact, that is exactly what everyone without a thumb does. You'll see that many backhoes have a wear plate on that arm and some even have teeth there. That technique works great for picking up things to move on the ground, but is quite limiting when it comes to deliberately putting the load somewhere. Especially when trying to place the load up and out at any distance - like building a rock wall or loading a truck.
Once you try a thumb it sure is handy. Mother Nature definitely got that one right.

Implements: start with a good back blade. It cannot be too heavy, they never wear out, so used is fine. Mine is heavily built - an old "Land Pride Rhino" with adjustable offset, tilt, and angle which came with end plates. It cost 3x what a lightweight blade does and worth it. The end plates turn it into a box blade. Your next tool after the back blade will be either a box blade with scarifier teeth for moving dirt or a 3pt rotary mower - the type that is PTO driven with a trailing wheel. Sometimes called a "slasher", it is used for for weeds & brush - not for the lawn. Your choice between the box blade or mower?but you'll probably end up with both someday.

Used machines: You often end up choosing between an ex-rental and a homeowner machine. I'd lean toward the homeowner myself, dealer second, rental last.
I am particularly impressed when there is at least an attempt at keeping maintenance records. I like to see OEM filters and oils used at a minimum. My feeling is that a tractor for a lifetime ought to come with some history and manuals. Unless you are a mechanic yourself, get a second opinion. Maybe even if you are.

And lastly, when you find the right machine, don't mess around. By now you have put in enough study to know a good deal when you see it. So when you do, make a deal and buy it. That's when the fun really begins.
Good Luck, rScotty

Attachments

• Copy of River Rock_1.JPG
    Copy of River Rock_1.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 133
  • LandScaping_2.JPG
    LandScaping_2.JPG
    241.8 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:
   / L45 vs M59 - or skidsteer #25  
As a recent L47 owner doing about the same thing that you are, I can agree with most of what rScotty said above.

Except for a couple of small things:
  1. If you're doing any dirt work at all with the 3PT Top'n'Tilt is a God send. Don't discount that at all. Worth every penny I paid.
  2. I have lots of attachments but my L47 spends most of it's life with the BH mounted and the grapple on the front. I found the grapple actually does a better job filling holes and smoothing than the bucket did.
  3. Do not get just any grapple. I got whatever the dealer had on the lot and regret it every time I use it. Get the EA Wicked Grapple
  4. Stumps put a big hurt on my BH. I'm sure a lot of it is my own inexperience and lack of technique but I find that I'm always fighting against the machines limits. You can always save up to add TnT, 3rd function, thumb later but you can't upgrade from L47 to M59. If I had it to do over again I think I'd get the M59 even if I had to strip it bare to do it.
  5. If you can't weld, find one immediately and get some protection plates made for it right away. Generally, this tractor is tough but there's a few vulnerable points on it and they tend it get snagged before you even see it coming no matter how carefully you move.
    1. CRITICAL: The loader valve is right below the speed treadle. The "guard" on it is poorly designed and made out of the softest steel invented. I'd recommend taking it off right away and take it to a fabricator to have one made out of something substantial. No matter how careful I am, it gets snagged and bent up. It also doesn't protect the underside very well. One time a very small sapling (1/2" diameter) poked up in there and ripped out the wiring for the FEL 3rd function solenoids. The wires shouldn't have been so exposed and after the repairs (thank God for Kubota insurance!) the dealer tucked them up inside much better.
    2. First thing, get under the tractor and check for any dangling wires. Those wires mentioned above shouldn't have been down there and were tucked up inside much better after the repair. Make sure yours is tucked up inside good too.
    3. front grill. I've smashed mine twice. You can't see the small sticks poking out of the pile you're loading but they'll pierce right through and do real damage to the radiator. Get a steel guard up there first thing
    4. I've torn the rubber boot around the steering tie-rods twice now. There is a guard but it's soft steel and doesn't fully protect it. I don't know how to add more protection so just be aware of it and work carefully. It's $95 to have a dealer fix it because they have to take the wheel off to do it.

The above probably sounds like a lot of whining but I don't mean it to be. I'm sure a lot of it is my own lack of experience. But a lot of it also is that I've learned forestry equipment look like military tanks for a reason.... even the smallest of trees, stumps, and branches will do some amazing damage at even very low speeds. Ironically, its the smaller stuff that's the worst. You're pushing over some small trees and you BH out the stump. Great! There'll be little 1/2" diameter "spring poles" left over that just bent over when you originally pushed and then pop back up. Those things are MURDER on your equipment. Pull 'em or cut 'em right away.

I got my L47 about 1 yr ago. I've got ~160 hrs on it now. It would be much higher but it spent some time in the shop waiting on parts for the aforementioned mistakes and some hydro problems the dealer finally sorted out (seems I had a Friday @ 5 assembly special). That said, I'm just now feeling fairly proficient with it and it'll do far more than I imagined, if I use it right. The only place I'm truly disappointed is the BH strength. I just expected more. A 6" oak stump can take me 30 minutes and 8" over an hour.

BTW-I love my BH thumb. Use it every time I'm on the machine. If you're working solo, it's worth every penny. If you have a helper standing by to clear roots then maybe less so, but I'd still go for it, especially if it's used as you won't pay full price for it.

Last edited:
   / L45 vs M59 - or skidsteer #26  
Sorry for the delay, apparently I forgot to hit "submit".

Get the one that best suits your needs. Do you need more loader lift capacity? More PTO HP? Then get the M59.

Nothing I'm looking for is crazy on PTO HP. Flail mower and snowblower and those are ~30hp, which the L45 can do. Loader capacity? I'm going to be doing dirt and gravel with the loader mostly, maybe get a set of forks, but even then, I can't see myself needing to get a pallet larger than 2000 pounds, so I don't think it's a huge deal. Maybe if I need to lift up a small boulder or tree stump, but isn't the backhoe better suited to that?

Sounds like the L45 with all the options would suit your needs. I personally wouldn't get a tractor without the remotes or a backhoe without a thumb. It's easy to add them but way more expensive after the fact.

Rear remotes are cheaper to add than then thumb. I can get the rear 3 remote kit installed for $1600. Front remote is $1400, which seems like a lot on a per-function basis, but the dealer said the parts are cheap but the labor is more. Thumb ~$3000. So it seems like thumb is about equal in value to both remote kits combined.

Last question to ask yourself - do you NEED the backhoe or would you rather have a nice cab? Sometimes a nice CUT with cab and frame mount backhoe will do the job adequately. The M59/L45 don't come with factory cabs and adding one is $$$.

I think I want the visibility of a open cab, and a lot of the work will be in the woods and I think the cab would be running into branches too much. I looked at some Kubota grand L tractors, they have the 3pt and remotes, but once you add the backhoe they end up more expensive than the TLB's.

I remember that your land was somewhere in the SouthEast? and was one rough-cleared but with stumps and such, plus another 5 acres or so that you want to clear. That pretty much excludes skid steers. Good as they are, they are best on hard even surface, not reshaping raw land. In a big concrete barn with stalls they are great. Also good if your farmyard is the style with lots of pens and corrals. Keep in mind that skid steers tend to stir up the dirt while tractors tend to compact it.
A tractor is a more universal tool than a skid steer, and travels better on uneven ground.

Southeast Pennsylvania. 7 acre total, 1 acre of "farm lawn" that needs some attention and 6 acres of woods and I'd like to convert about 1 acre of that into more "farm lawn" for raised bed gardening, chicken coop, and a wildlife food plot. Need to regrade some of the lawn because there's low spots in the wrong places. Also might install some irrigation and drainage pipe. Also have half a mile of gravel drive to rebuild and maintain.

On the L45 with thumb vs the M59 without? That's a neat question. Both are big enough without being outsize. I do think you are looking at the proper type machine, and think that either would fit your BIFL requirement. Yes, I would stay with mainstream brands for your first tractor.

I was looking at the M59 for a while, didn't realize the L45 had the HST+, as the L39 does not. So with the HST+, the L45 became an option. No matter what I know I need to add rear remotes and a 3pt kit, but the lower price on the L45 plus having a free thumb makes it pretty appealing.

Here are some some things to think about for the first time tractor buyer:

Rear remotes for top and tilt. Very nice to have, but certainly not necessary. I'd put it on the bottom of the list. T&T is an an expensive option and still not common. That is because in in use, rear implements are traditionally adjusted for tilt manually and then the 3pt hitch control is worked to raise and lower them as needed for depth of soil engagement. That is sufficient, and manual adjustment works just fine. Put that money elsewhere. Into a grapple and thumb perhaps.

Rear remotes are relatively cheap. $1600 gets you 3. The T&T is $1000 and uses two, so there'd be one left for implements. I have a half mile of driveway to deal with, so it seems like a handy thing just for that. I have no idea what else it's used for, like I don't think you use it with a mower or snow blower, but I don't know, really.

A front end loader should have a SSQA adapter for the bucket and front remotes. Then you can hook up anything that a Skid Steer can operate - which opens up a world of rental and borrowed equipment that you can try before or instead of buying. Front remotes are more useful than rear remotes and you are more likely to find them already installed on a used machine. Keep in mind that with hoses you can pipe pressure anywhere. Get a clip-on root rake for the front of the bucket for clearing brush. Inexpensive and handy. Keep your eyes open for a basic grapple that fits your existing bucket & plan to get it someday.... sooner if you have poison ivy.

Both have the SSQA. Front remotes are pricey at $1400, so might want to explore using the rear remotes up front. Not sure if having the controls on the fender vs loader joystick will be annoying though. If was running a 4 in 1 bucket, probably, but if it's just for an angle control on a snow blade, might not be a big deal We do have poison ivy (or did, I sprayed in the early fall, have no idea what will come back in spring) so will keep eye out for grapple.

Tire size, ground, mud & snow clearance, & sidehill stability. You don't know how important these are yet, but you certainly are going to find out.
For clearing new land, these are the things that are going to limit the tractor more than any other one thing. The L45 is good in that department; but the M59 is better simply because it is larger and higher. More comfortable, too.

The clearance difference between the L45 and M59 is significant. 5". That and the width are the things that most make me want the M59.

Backhoe - a lot of people don't do much backhoe work recommend avoiding it, or getting a 3pt style, or subframe mount, or suggest renting rather than a dedicated backhoe.
Fine, but for what you are describing, you will be using the backhoe as a primary too. It will be used as much as the tractor will & possibly more. That's why I like the idea of the L45 and M59 for your use. Be SURE to get the 3pt kit. If the machine you buy doesn't have it, then order the specific 3pt kit for that model the day you get the tractor. Those kinds of specific kits aren't always available in later years.

I could rent, but honestly it's the inconvenience of having to schedule that and get it delivered and such. I'm just a homeowner, not a contractor, so I'll never have first dibs on the rental anyway and my time is currently scarce, so it's just not practical. I'll rent a stump grinder or a boom lift but I think the backhoe will get enough use to be always available.

Used specimens rarely have the 3pt included, but it's $500 and I'll get it right away. The gravel drive is a very high priority, the winter has not been kind to it.

Implements: start with a good back blade. It cannot be too heavy, they never wear out, so used is fine. Mine is heavily built - an old "Land Pride Rhino" with adjustable offset, tilt, and angle which came with end plates. It cost 3x what a lightweight blade does and worth it. The end plates turn it into a box blade. Your next tool after the back blade will be either a box blade with scarifier teeth for moving dirt or a 3pt rotary mower - the type that is PTO driven with a trailing wheel. Sometimes called a "slasher", it is used for for weeds & brush - not for the lawn. Your choice between the box blade or mower?but you'll probably end up with both someday.

Does a box blade or land leveler make the back blade redundant?

I'm going to get a flail mower with a hydraulic offset. I need to mow along the sides of the driveway and the neighbors have a bunch of horses and I don't want to risk tossing anything into their fields.

If you're doing any dirt work at all with the 3PT Top'n'Tilt is a God send. Don't discount that at all. Worth every penny I paid.

Dealer quoted me $1000 if I get the rear remotes.

Do not get just any grapple. I got whatever the dealer had on the lot and regret it every time I use it. Get the EA Wicked Grapple

Yikes, that looks like something out of Mad Max.

Stumps put a big hurt on my BH. I'm sure a lot of it is my own inexperience and lack of technique but I find that I'm always fighting against the machines limits. You can always save up to add TnT, 3rd function, thumb later but you can't upgrade from L47 to M59. If I had it to do over again I think I'd get the M59 even if I had to strip it bare to do it.

Watching some Youtube videos on this subject and it does seem like a crazy task. Especially when they're removing these 36" stumps in one piece. Makes me want to rent a grinder or try burning them out.

If you can't weld, find one immediately and get some protection plates made for it right away. Generally, this tractor is tough but there's a few vulnerable points on it and they tend it get snagged before you even see it coming no matter how carefully you move.

Sounds like an excuse to get a welder. The L45 only has a 12" clearance, so I expect it will hit stuff now and then. Might as well get the full Mad Max thing going.

The above probably sounds like a lot of whining but I don't mean it to be. I'm sure a lot of it is my own lack of experience. But a lot of it also is that I've learned forestry equipment look like military tanks for a reason.... even the smallest of trees, stumps, and branches will do some amazing damage at even very low speeds. Ironically, its the smaller stuff that's the worst. You're pushing over some small trees and you BH out the stump. Great! There'll be little 1/2" diameter "spring poles" left over that just bent over when you originally pushed and then pop back up. Those things are MURDER on your equipment. Pull 'em or cut 'em right away.

Yeah, seems like the obvious downside of only having one machine. May find myself switching between brush mower and backhoe a bunch and that sounds tedious.

The only place I'm truly disappointed is the BH strength. I just expected more. A 6" oak stump can take me 30 minutes and 8" over an hour.

Yikes. Most of the trees here are big. 24" at a minimum. A lot of the stumps are 36". I may need an alternative for those. Some of them have a lot of rot, so maybe I'll see if I can break them up a bit. Otherwise I'll have to grind or burn them.

/ L45 vs M59 - or skidsteer #27  
Nothing I'm looking for is crazy on PTO HP. Flail mower and snowblower and those are ~30hp, which the L45 can do. Loader capacity? I'm going to be doing dirt and gravel with the loader mostly, maybe get a set of forks, but even then, I can't see myself needing to get a pallet larger than 2000 pounds, so I don't think it's a huge deal. Maybe if I need to lift up a small boulder or tree stump, but isn't the backhoe better suited to that?

The loader will lift far more than the backhoe. The M59 loader will lift 4000 lbs at the bucket pins, 3000# at the midpoint of the bucket, and 2000# at the bucket lip. The M59 bucket holds about a cubic yard of material - which will vary from 2000 lbs for dry dirt to about 3000 # for wet sand. The smaller L45 bucket should be sized for it's lift, but I don't have the specs. I'll attach a graph of the backhoe capacity for the M59; it will lift about 1300 lbs. Digging downforce is much higher, and the backhoe has no problem lifting the entire tractor while pivoting on the bucket lip.

I was looking at the M59 for a while, didn't realize the L45 had the HST+, as the L39 does not. So with the HST+, the L45 became an option. No matter what I know I need to add rear remotes and a 3pt kit, but the lower price on the L45 plus having a free thumb makes it pretty appealing.

I agree. Do you have your eye on any particular used machines? We haven't talked about condition, but it counts for a lot. I suspect that the L45 would have enough power for your needs. I've never run into a situation where the M59 lacked power except when driving on the road and going uphill. Then it wants 3 low rather than 3 hi. I wouldn't worry about HP as much as I would prefer the larger tire size, clearance and such of the larger machine. Something to consider is that there seem to be a lot more owneres with M59s on TBN than with L45s. I did consider the L48, but the cab felt a little cramped. In retrospect I'm glad to have gotten the larger machine. My wife made me do it!.

Rear remotes are relatively cheap. $1600 gets you 3. The T&T is $1000 and uses two, so there'd be one left for implements. I have a half mile of driveway to deal with, so it seems like a handy thing just for that. I have no idea what else it's used for, like I don't think you use it with a mower or snow blower, but I don't know, really.
Does a box blade or land leveler make the back blade redundant?

T&T is nice, but I still say not essential. Where I would want it is if I were doing a lot of work scarifying or box grading. A mower or snow blower is usually just a set and use adjustment....not something you constantly adjust angle or tilt. Remember, the geometry of a standard 3pt keeps the implement level when you lift and lower it. If it were me, I'd get the rear remotes over the T&T.

Box blades and the land levelers do not normally have any provision for tilt, offset, or angle. Basic lightweight back blades will angle, but not tilt or offset. A heavier duty back blade has those adjustments and the best ones do it hydraulically - if you have rear remotes. A really nice back blade with rear remotes working the hydraulic adjusters will do far more. It is a real road builder which will build the crown and ditch as well. Add the removeable pin-on end caps that are options on the better back blades and it will also do the job of a box blade or land leveler. But those nice back blades are as pricy as they are nice to have. I'll attach some pictures. Used implements are just as good as new ones - and sometimes half the price. They don't drop below that price very often. The M59 can just barely handle an 8 foot Big Rhino.

The clearance difference between the L45 and M59 is significant. 5". That and the width are the things that most make me want the M59.

Yes, and I don't know much about working in your eastern woodlands with heavy brush. That makes me cringe. Our western forests don't have that type of underbrush. We tend to have to deal with rocks instead of saplings.
I don't think I would weld any protection to the bottom. Instead, Use "L" brackets to hold a piece of heavy plywood or 1/8" steel if needed. The only place that looks vulnerable on the M59 is where the hydraulic filters protrude.

I could rent, but honestly it's the inconvenience of having to schedule that and get it delivered and such. I'm just a homeowner, not a contractor, so I'll never have first dibs on the rental anyway and my time is currently scarce, so it's just not practical. I'll rent a stump grinder or a boom lift but I think the backhoe will get enough use to be always available.
Yikes. STUMPS! Most of the trees here are big. 24" at a minimum. A lot of the stumps are 36". I may need an alternative for those. Some of them have a lot of rot, so maybe I'll see if I can break them up a bit. Otherwise I'll have to grind or burn them.

Stumps are time-consuming even with the M59. In fact, they aren't any more fun with the bigger JD310 with AC, 95hp, and a cab with music. A two foot trunk may require a hole ten feet across and 5 feet deep. I've never done a 36" one. Breaking through the roots is hard on the machine and operator as the tractor bounces around. If there is a taproot below the root ball then things get even worse. Resist the impulse to pound on the stump - they rarely split & really abuses the hoe. Just chew away. You have to dig an astonishing hole before the hoe will lift the root ball. Wish I had better news, but I just haven't found a better way than simply going slow and digging them out.
Pros sometimes excavate on one side of a tree and then push it over - popping the root ball free of the ground. That takes a dozer....., and it doesn't help if you've already got stumps. I've got a few dozen stumps yet to go and not looking forward to them.
Luck,
rScotty

Attachments

• Backhoe Lift.jpg
    Backhoe Lift.jpg
    251.7 KB · Views: 83
  • Big Rhino Back Blade.jpg
    Big Rhino Back Blade.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 74
  • Big Rhino Blade Badk.jpg
    Big Rhino Blade Badk.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 69
  • End caps.jpg
    End caps.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 78
  • Skeleton-Rock-Bucket.jpg
    Skeleton-Rock-Bucket.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 68
   / L45 vs M59 - or skidsteer #28  
I have used skidsteers and tractors in my lifetime. I prefer tractors for most of the work only because they are versatile in terms of standard attachments.

Skidsteers are great for tight spaces, lifting, and some basic ground engaging equipment. I wouldn't rely on one to mow lawns or do acres of brush clearing even though there are attachments for them. Not to mention the attachments for SS comes with a hefty price.

Plus most tractors are a heck of a lot easier to work on.

Depends on what you are looking for as to the type of work you are going to be doing.

If you are going be moving pallets of widgets all day, I recommend a skidsteer. If you are going to be plowing fields and mowing, but moving pallets of widgets once in a while, then a tractor. Most of it's just common sense.

/ L45 vs M59 - or skidsteer #29  
Depends on what you are looking for as to the type of work you are going to be
If you are going be moving pallets of widgets all day, I recommend a skidsteer. If you are going to be plowing fields and mowing, but moving pallets of widgets once in a while, then a tractor. Most of it's just common sense.
Man I hate skidsteers for anything but moving dirt in tight spaces. They are hard on your back because they ride like pogo sticks and they tear up the ground more than a rototiller. Skidsteers are unstable especially with carrying loads up high. I would take a TLB or wheel loader for moving pallets any day over a skidsteer.

If you need to muck out inside barns then the skidsteer痴 your choice. If you need a general purpose do a little of everything machine around a small farm then the M59 is the way to go. Good luck trying to pull sizeable stumps on a skidsteer.

/ L45 vs M59 - or skidsteer #30  
Man I hate skidsteers for anything but moving dirt in tight spaces. They are hard on your back because they ride like pogo sticks and they tear up the ground more than a rototiller. Skidsteers are unstable especially with carrying loads up high. I would take a TLB or wheel loader for moving pallets any day over a skidsteer.

If you need to muck out inside barns then the skidsteer痴 your choice. If you need a general purpose do a little of everything machine around a small farm then the M59 is the way to go. Good luck trying to pull sizeable stumps on a skidsteer.

You couldn't have described how a skidsteer rides any better!!

Yes, skidsteers are unstable when carrying loads up high... that's how most SS accidents happen. Another problem I have with skidsteers is it is really hard to determine where their carrying limit is at a particular height versus a tractor or wheel loader. I blame that on the very short wheelbase, they tend to be very tippy and less forgiving.