L48 vs Fullsize BAckhoe

/ L48 vs Fullsize BAckhoe
I believe that input is mixed up with the B21 please correct me if im worng but i think the Pump is rated at 17 gpm.

The Ben from MA /w3tcompact/icons/cool.gif

/ L48 vs Fullsize BAckhoe #12  
Art - That's interesting - a different engine, huh? Well at least I know there's a bigger one I can shoehorn into my L4310 when I blow up the stock engine by turbocharging it!

You said the "linkages are now mounted on the loader frame" - I was talking about having to remove the rear 3-point-hitch side links to install the backhoe. Is that what you meant?

MarkC
ChalkleySig2.gif

/ L48 vs Fullsize BAckhoe #13  
Kubota-Monkey

I guess comparing L-48 to full sized TLB is apples/oranges?? That said, I finally found my brochure on JCB 1700B TLB and using info from Carvers site on L-48, here’s what I find:

JCB
Engine disp 243 cu
Gross HP 94.5
Net 90.5
Weight 15,980 lbs
Pump capacity 40.8 gpm
Loader breakout 11,500
Lift capacity 7,200
BH dipper cyl 9,110
BH Bucket cyl 12,200
Drawbar pull 11,243 lbs (1st gear)

Kubota L-48
Engine disp 148.5 cu
Gross HP 48
Net 37.5 (pto)
Weight 7,760
Pump capacity 25.9 gpm
Loader breakout 4,375 (at pivot pin)
Lift capacity 2,260
BH dipper cyl 3,968
BH Bucket cyl 5,908
Drawbar pull Didn’t find

Some disclaimers, the brochure didn’t qualify breakout at pivot pin, nor HP at PTO but I guess it gives a rough comparason.

As much crying/crabbing I did about us needing to get a tractor. My primary desire was L-35 except I found the GST was TERRABLE with the hills we have and it's brakes / freewheeling while changing gears on slopes. I then decided that if they came out with a Hydro version, that would be the one. In the mean time, my little Sunshine gave me the OK to buy this and as I compare them I guess I ought to be backflipping. I have found only two or three trees (dead pines) that this thing wouldn't simply push over with some patience. The others I cut my wedge for direction THEN push them over. I feel LOTS more comfortable snuggled inside the cab (with all windows missing) while the tree is falling than being outside with the falling tree. I have wrapped a chain around TWO entire trees (maybe 11/12 inches diamater) and dragged them to fire pile. I also had a pile of maybe 12 trees (ENTIRE, I mean this pile was probably 60 feet long) some cedar, most pines and was able to push/roll the entire pile over to existing fire and just add them in instead of having to cut them up, sort them out etc...I guess I have to presume the L-35/L-48 wouldn't do these same things as easily/quickly, or that if it WOULD, then that means Brutus should have the capacity to do even MORE than I am currently aware.

On the YIKES side of the equation... Brutus has been out of commission for couple of days. Last Saturday I was wrestling some of these trees when an errant sappling sprung up and impaled the transmission filter, thereby turning it into a collander. It also broke a $25 part that had to be ordered. Fixed all last night and Brutus is back in business. I am counting my blessings that it didn't impale something more serious ($$$) /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif and won't allow any more freestanding sapplings. Either they are trees I have to drive AROUND or they are coming up from the roots. No more driving "over".

/ L48 vs Fullsize BAckhoe #14  
Mark I always thought you were my type of guy. Good thing we aren't in the same neighborhood I don't think our neighbors would get much sleep. I think we could do well with some porting work maybe some larger valves and some injection pump modifications to start as a primer for the turbo if we can't get what we need to start then go to the turbo. Most all engines built abroad are built for economy and they don't have much reserve built in so that is where I would start. The arms do have to come off but they now have a place on the loader frame to store them so nobody forgets where they put them.

/ L48 vs Fullsize BAckhoe #15  
Kubota-monkey I took those spec's out of there book so I can only believe they where right.

/ L48 vs Fullsize BAckhoe #16  
Now Richard as I passed you on the Auto-Bahn in my AMG benz at 125 I noticed the trail of oil behind you. How about that apples and oranges stuff.

/ L48 vs Fullsize BAckhoe #17  
Art..yup, found out that at 80 mph, the front windshield on these things get a little edgy. /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif

This was purchased in Nashville and hired trucker dude to transport it to Knoxville. Trucker dude must of had either wild woman waiting for him, or police chasing him. He did roughly 80 on way home and evidently TLB's aren't quite as aerodynamic as your AMG. The front windshield blew out. Thankfully, it imploded inside the cab and no one was hurt. As I hadn't bought this yet, that wasn't my problem. Now that I HAVE bought it, I'm not worrying about spending ~$400 or so to help it's slipstream.

Do you think AMG has any design options for this kind of scooter? I would sure hate to embarass you if we met at a stoplight awaiting for green....

/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ L48 vs Fullsize BAckhoe #18  
I don't really have a AMG and I don't remember seeing JCB in there line up but maybe with a RTP or HYT or ZQX we might be able to get something accomplished.

/ L48 vs Fullsize BAckhoe #19  
Ah well, I guess I'll just stick with my zero to 60 in ... never. (unless your talking about feet per minute)/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ L48 vs Fullsize BAckhoe #20  
Art,
A question... My sister drives a Case 580-L.
How does this L48 compare? Is it similar, or smaller, or? I'm not familiar with TLB's; I have no idea.../w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif

RobertN in Shingle Springs Calif