L48 vs Fullsize BAckhoe

/ L48 vs Fullsize BAckhoe #21  
RobertN to compare I might get off the beaten path a little here but both machines are meant to do the same job and both are built to the same type of standards. There was no true compact LTB untill Kubota introduced the B-20TLB in the 80's now they have three models. Their main reason to exist is they can work where the 580 or 555NH can't get or can't be hauled as convienatly as these units can. Drive ability is about the same and of coarse they can't do as much work in an hour as the larger units can but they do go where the others can't.

/ L48 vs Fullsize BAckhoe #22  
Hi Art,
The part I do not know, is how big are the units compared to each other? How much horse power, loader lift capacity, ect. Is the L48 a little smaller, little bigger?

All I know is the case is a fair sized machine, but I don't know any details(basically clueless /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif ).
Thanks!

RobertN in Shingle Springs Calif

/ L48 vs Fullsize BAckhoe #23  
Mark,

I am with you on the 3pt lower arms needing removal to mount the backhoe. To bad they didn't change that. Sounds like the same set up that is being used on my B21. You are thinking about your freedom hitch, I would guess. When I switch to the backhoe I leave the lower links hooked to the implement I am removing. Would that work with the freedom hitch? The backhoe is easy to mount and I do like how close to the tractor it mounts. I would guess that is the main reason for the setup used.

/ L48 vs Fullsize BAckhoe #24  
Robert,

I don't know all the specs but I think you would be close by saying the 580L is about doulble the L48 in most areas you were questioning. As Art was saying, the L48, L35 and B21 TLB's are made for tight working areas that the big boys can not get. For many of us the other draw back to TLB's, like the 580's, is that the backhoe cannot be removed to use the tractor for other implements.

/ L48 vs Fullsize BAckhoe #25  
Robert not being an industrial dealer to have all the 580 specs in hand makes this tough. But a start is the 580 with cab and 4-wheel drive weighs more than 12000lbs any way you cut it vs 7800lb machine. Every thing else is comparably smaller to.