Loader L4850 with LA950a loader - does not go very high

/ L4850 with LA950a loader - does not go very high #11  
Clint - I measured the loader cylinders on my LA1150. Boom cyls are 3" o.d. but length is the same 24" from the notch like yours. The bucket cyls look same stroke except they are not notched (round all the way).

This is a head scratcher. The only long shot thing I can think of is one of your boom cylinders has the wrong gland parts in it, keeping it from extending out all the way. Does the frame seem to twist a little when it hits the limit going up? Is one cylinder stopping it or do they both max out at the same point?

LeeJohn - the Craigslist loader is an LA650 - designed for a smaller tractor.

Last edited:
   / L4850 with LA950a loader - does not go very high #12  
Well that would make a differents. There went the air out of my sails.

/ L4850 with LA950a loader - does not go very high #13  
Maybe not go back and look at your pic in post 3. The pin is alot further from the bend then his is. See what you think.

/ L4850 with LA950a loader - does not go very high #14  
I have the brochure for the L4850 and L5450 tractors that also describes the LA950 and LA1150 loaders. I believe the LA950 and LA1150 are identical except LA950 cylinders are 2-1/4" bore, and the LA1150 has 2-1/2" bores (20% more area, 20% higher forces) There is a paragraph that talks about both loaders being fast and states the bucket goes up over 9 feet. There is no clue that the LA950 has different range of motion.

I'm still thinking the problem may be one of the boom cylinders.
Did you think there's a difference in the loader pins? which one(s)?

Attachments

• loader page.pdf
    207.1 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
   / L4850 with LA950a loader - does not go very high #15  
The first one and the upper pin or piston end of cyl.

/ L4850 with LA950a loader - does not go very high
With Thanksgiving prep, etc. I forgot to go measure the front cylinders. Having studied the pictures the Kubota Loader on craigslist (lifting very high) is clearly a different loader - maybe LA650 - I can't read it, but it does have different geometry. It does look like the front forks stick out a little more on the smaller loader, which I expect reduces the breakout/lifting.

My main cylinders measure 24" , when fully extended there is 21.5" of steel (shiny) rod that sticks out... That means that there is 2.5" of endcaps, seals etc in the cylinder - which seems about right to me, although another 1" would probably make a significant difference.

I didn't measure but I can just barely stand under the bucket when its up - so its about 6' with the bucket level. Its really interesting that the brochure mentions 9' - am definitely not getting 9'.

Dick, I just found the spec sheet you posted on a much older post somewhere. It lists the loader cylinder piston stroke at 21.65" so I am getting full lift out of the cylinders. What I did notice is that your front tires are significantly larger than mine, which would increase the height and the angle. So I guess its working as it should.

Thanks again,
clint

A friend at work just made a discovery... It looks like the lower cylinder pin on my loader is into an asymmetrical bracket welded to the uprights. In the pictures of other loaders it look like that bracket is symmetrical and possibly a little higher. It seems possible that when my unit was welded it was put a little lower... an inch would probably make a big difference.

Dick, when you get a chance can you please measure the pin distance from the main loader pivot to the lower cylinder pin - see picture

I will check mine this afternoon..

Thank you,
clint

Attachments

• IMG_1128.JPG
    IMG_1128.JPG
    884.2 KB · Views: 161
haha - sorry wrong pic. IMG_1440.jpg

/ L4850 with LA950a loader - does not go very high #20  
If you look at your main lift cylinders with the bucket on the ground they are extended out farther than they should be. You have the wrong cylinders. You should only have about an inch of extended cylinder with bucket on the ground.