Loader L4850 with LA950a loader - does not go very high

/ L4850 with LA950a loader - does not go very high #31  
Sounds like you guys have the problem pinned down. Here is my LA1150A with ample clearance above the 6'6" high cab on this pickup. My curl cylinders are extended in this picture so the bucket edge can actually can raise higher. I have R4s so I am not as tall as those with tall ag R1 tires.

Attachments

• image-2767911252.jpg
    image-2767911252.jpg
    501.9 KB · Views: 507
   / L4850 with LA950a loader - does not go very high
Sorry guys! I had family in from Chicago for the holiday, including my 94 year old grandmother. We turn my office/computer room into a downstair bedroom for her...so I wasn't really able to spend any time at the computer.

First, the loader still has a tag on the side and it is model LA950a (serial 20500), the bucket is model L1774.

The lower lift cylinder pin to main pivot pin is 18" (center of pin to center of pin). The upper cylinder pin to main pin is 39 3/4".

When the bucket is down and level with the ground I have 7" of piston rod still. I am not sure what that would equate to in downward travel, but I can't see why I would need to dig more than about a 12" below the front tires. Based on this it seems a longer cylinder would fit.

My lift cylinders measure 3" OD and 2.375" at the upper pin (where its squared off). One of the brochures had different cylinder sizes.... but it still doesn't make sense becuase the brochure has the cylinder travel at 21.65" which would seem to mean that my cylinders are corrrect...?

clint

/ L4850 with LA950a loader - does not go very high #33  
You got er! Your lift cylinders are the wrong length. Seems strange but someone must have swapped them at some point.

IMG_1473[1].jpg

my upper lift cylinder to upper bucket cylinder is 17"

Ok, just studied all the different pics... and yes, clearly the other LA950 loaders have longer cylinders. I scaled off of three of the pics using the steering wheel as a know 15.5" and interestingly it seems two of the 950 loaders have 32" long cylinders (from upper pin to end of orange cylinder) and the other had a 28" long cylinder. the 28" cylinder does infact end short of the 5 bolts (support bracket bolts). They probably had ooodles of identical cylinders in the factorys for different loaders and it wouldn't be too difficult to get them mixed up.

I attached a picture of my machine again.

So the million dollar question.... How/where do I get longer cylinders that don't cost a fortune?

/ L4850 with LA950a loader - does not go very high #35  
If you take the cylinders to a welding shop, you can get a 5-6" extension welded onto the butt end (non extending end). With the bucket level on the ground, you want about an inch of extended cylinder showing, not the 6-8 you seem to have! That's a "work around", the proper solution would be to get the correct cylinders, but a pair from Kubota will run you enough to cause a serious indigestion where the weld fix is probably a hundred bucks.

/ L4850 with LA950a loader - does not go very high #36  
OK I'm starting to sway and bend a little. I thought the 950 and 1150 used 24" cyls. and when you look at JoeBuyers picture the upper anchor pin is a ways from the boom. It does make more sense that the cyds. could get mixed easer. Kuboman, I think, said maybe there are 2 models of the 950, and if so the cyls could be mixed. Longer cyls would sure do it, but they would have to be longer then a 24" strock. Most loaders the digging depth isn't much and if Clint dropped his in the ground he wouldn't have the power to go that deep.

/ L4850 with LA950a loader - does not go very high #37  
View attachment 290352

So the million dollar question.... How/where do I get longer cylinders that don't cost a fortune?

Good question. I would imagine Kubota buys their cylinders and there is a master list of dimensions somewhere by part number. Assuming this was an error in manufacture the factory rep might agree to supply something with normal lift height for a reasonable price? Might have to ask nice.

Last edited:
   / L4850 with LA950a loader - does not go very high #38  
I was thinking that a local fab shop could make a couple extension brackets that would move the pin back a couple inches. They could lock in place using the existing pins, and have new pin locations for the cylinders.

They'd be cheaper than new cylinders and removable in case you change your mind. (see picture markup) You would still have full thrust, just less bucket travel below grade.

Attachments

• LA950 extension.JPG
    LA950 extension.JPG
    344 KB · Views: 345
I was thinking about an extension... but having longer cylinders would give me more travel as well. A 2" longer cylinder would also have a 2" longer rod, which would give me 4" more travel.... ( I think - I have to draw it out)

Messicks sent me a parts diagram, but it didn't indicate cylinder lengths ($600 each Ouch!). So one of the guys there emailed their Kubota rep. I'll let you guys know what I find out.

Clint

Just got a reply from Messicks (from their Kubota rep). The stock Kubota cylinders measure 34". I assume this is a pin to pin measurement, which compares to my cylinders at 28" center pin to center pin.

Does anyone have any contacts directly at Kubota? (rep or other) ??

Last edited: