L5450 feedback, please

/ L5450 feedback, please #1  

geneP

Platinum Member
Tractor
Case-International 385, Kubota L5450 w/LA1150A loader
I'm going to look at a l5450 with hydraulic shuttle tomorrow. It is 4X4 ( think all were) with a loader (did they all have a loader?). It has 2500 hours on it. Any feedback on this model would be extremely welcome. Is the hydraulic shuttle troublesome? The advertised price from an individual is $12,000, but he has it on a dealer lot. Looking at TractorHouse.com I see prices from $11,500 to $16,000 so this obviously isn't a killer deal unless they are a remarkable tractor. I'll be using it to clean up some land that was cut 8 yrs ago, then just bush-hog maintenance, etc. currently I'm doing this with a Case-IH 385 with a box blade and a bush hog. It is working, but slow.

Thanks for sharing your wisdom.

/ L5450 feedback, please
I found a few, but most are older threads. I was hoping for more recent experience since the tractor model is older now.

/ L5450 feedback, please #3  
I have one that I bought a few years back with super low hours. Mine has a backhoe and I use it more than I would have thought. your price is about right if it was taken care of. Tough tractors. The 5 cylinder Kubota is smooth and starts without glow plugs down into the teens and maybe single digits. The Everclutch does nothing more than take the switching fluid away ahead of the forward and reverse clutch pack actuators. So effectively it is like putting it into neutral and disabling forward and reverse. So if your clutch packs are good, the everclutch is good.

Last edited:
   / L5450 feedback, please
Well, I looked at it today. It appears to be a logging tractor. It has a skid plate under the bottom and a shop made steel canopy and limb risers, all unpainted so it isn't a pretty tractor. It also has had two remotes added. All that would be fine but it suggests it maybe has had a hard life. I'm not ready to pay his asking price for it.

/ L5450 feedback, please #5  
Well, I looked at it today. It appears to be a logging tractor. It has a skid plate under the bottom and a shop made steel canopy and limb risers, all unpainted so it isn't a pretty tractor. It also has had two remotes added. All that would be fine but it suggests it maybe has had a hard life. I'm not ready to pay his asking price for it.

I told you they were tough tractors. But I understand the obvious concern.

/ L5450 feedback, please
Thanks, Tom. If I knew the tractor was used and maintained reasonably I wouldn't be so concerned because the skid plate would actually be an asset. But we all know how some hired hands treat someone else's property. The guy (not a sales person) from the dealership that showed me where the tractor was didn't know if the loader is considered a "quick attach" loader, or not. Can anyone address that question? I really don't think I'll want to run the loader on the tractor most of the time and would like it not to be an ordeal to install/remove it from the tractor.

/ L5450 feedback, please #7  
Thanks, Tom. If I knew the tractor was used and maintained reasonably I wouldn't be so concerned because the skid plate would actually be an asset. But we all know how some hired hands treat someone else's property. The guy (not a sales person) from the dealership that showed me where the tractor was didn't know if the loader is considered a "quick attach" loader, or not. Can anyone address that question? I really don't think I'll want to run the loader on the tractor most of the time and would like it not to be an ordeal to install/remove it from the tractor.

It may depend on the loader you have. I have the LA1150A. I never take mine off but it has the set of kickstands above the steering wheel and it is all set to take it off.

Attachments

• image-3082764320.jpg
    image-3082764320.jpg
    498.9 KB · Views: 752
   / L5450 feedback, please
The loader is just like yours. It even has the remote valve mounted on the fender as in the picture. This tractor has two bolts holding the brace in the cradle in front of the radiator. The steering tie rods that are ahead of the front axle are bowed, probably from running over saplings. That is a bad place for steering tie rods IMHO.

/ L5450 feedback, please #9  
The loader is just like yours. It even has the remote valve mounted on the fender as in the picture. This tractor has two bolts holding the brace in the cradle in front of the radiator. The steering tie rods that are ahead of the front axle are bowed, probably from running over saplings. That is a bad place for steering tie rods IMHO.

If it isn't pretty and has customized it, he may take a lower offer.

/ L5450 feedback, please #10  
I'm a long-time fan of the L5450 - it is old-school over-built, one of Kub's best products ever in my book, a really nice robust machine. The Ever Clutch is almost always trouble-free but abusive slipping can warp the disks leading to a replacement job. For a while I had 2 L5450s, one with a cab and the other an open-station with canopy. No real trouble with either - 1 has 1500 hrs, the other around 2k. I sold the non-cab for $18k a few years ago and it's still worth that. For this one the $12k asking price with the LA1150 loader may not be out of line, even with the experience it has. BTW the loader comes off ok - I do mine 2-3 times a year, best done on a level surface.

Check the valve cover vent tube for excess blow-by (smoke). The exhaust on these engines smoke a little normally until warmed up. Look at the 2 dipsticks (engine and trans) for water or other contamination, and inspect the 2-element air filter - if inner or outer element is broken or missing it's usually a deal breaker. You can do a quick check of hydraulic system strength - with engine at idle, rolling the bucket forward should lift the front of the tractor easily. If it doesn't or if it needs more rpm, the front pump may be worn ($$).

To check the hydraulic clutch, carefully observe if it tends to creep either forward or back idling in gear, with clutch pedal up, shuttle lever in neutral. Block one rear wheel and jack up the other. The owner shouldn't object unless there's something to hide. For the test put it in 2wd, idle the engine in 1st low gear with shuttle still in neutral. Shift the shuttle into either forward or reverse - lifted wheel will turn. Move the shuttle back to neutral - the wheel should come to a stop. If it doesn't, try stopping it by hand - if it persists in turning that would indicate clutch drag, potentially a spendy repair.

The L5450 was intended for heavy use and when they turn up in the used market they are rarely pretty - but they are a lot of tractor and below 5000 hours they're definitely worth repairing. Good luck - Dick B

Last edited: