L5450 feedback, please

/ L5450 feedback, please #11  
.... This tractor has two bolts holding the brace in the cradle in front of the radiator. The steering tie rods that are ahead of the front axle are bowed, probably from running over saplings. That is a bad place for steering tie rods IMHO.
Gene the front cradle bolts originally had L-handles on the heads. They tend to get lost and replaced with regular bolts. The tie rods are solid forged and quite strong. They're intentionally shaped to clear the wide front tires on sharp turns. IMHO the steering design is better than many.

The L5450 is sorta "up my street" so any questions fire away. Take care, Dick B

Last edited:
   / L5450 feedback, please
Thanks for taking the time to alleviate some of my fears, Dick. I just talked to the owner and have struck a deal. I'm going to pick it up this afternoon.

/ L5450 feedback, please #13  
Thanks for taking the time to alleviate some of my fears, Dick. I just talked to the owner and have struck a deal. I'm going to pick it up this afternoon.

Fantastic. With your intended use, the skid plate and limb risers and maybe a little paint, you should have a good setup. What tires are on it? Also, would you mind posting pictures?

/ L5450 feedback, please
I'll post a picture tomorrow, It was dusk when I got home with it. It has (I think) 17Lx24 R4 rear tires, I didn't look at the front size. It is a '98 model and has quick change bucket and fork setups.

I found a 2008 post that gives an Ace Hardware paint code for the Kubota gray. I plan to tidy it up some.

/ L5450 feedback, please #15  
I'll post a picture tomorrow, It was dusk when I got home with it. It has (I think) 17Lx24 R4 rear tires, I didn't look at the front size. It is a '98 model and has quick change bucket and fork setups.

I found a 2008 post that gives an Ace Hardware paint code for the Kubota gray. I plan to tidy it up some.

Purchased in '98 would be one of the later ones made. Tractordata.com indicates Kubota stopped making the L5450 in '97. Mine was purchased in '99. A quick change bucket would be an after market retrofit which is what I did with mine and very well worth it. Looking forward to the pictures.

/ L5450 feedback, please
Tom, we were at the Kubota dealer for the transaction. He looked up the serial number and said it was made in August of '98. I've found Tractordata.com to be a good reference, but some of the data is general, at best. Here are two pictures of the homely girl.

Attachments

• l54501.JPG
    l54501.JPG
    183 KB · Views: 194
  • l54502.JPG
    l54502.JPG
    183.8 KB · Views: 182
   / L5450 feedback, please
It wouldn't let me post but two pictures in the above post. Here is another.

Also, apparently there are no provisions in the bucket for the kickstands to support the loader for removal from the tractor. I believe I could fabricate some if I had a picture. Can anyone help me with pictures showing the kickstand attachment points? Looking at the kickstands, they may be no more than a keyhole socket in the bucket somewhere. Thanks for any help on this.

Attachments

• l54503.JPG
    l54503.JPG
    183 KB · Views: 108
   / L5450 feedback, please #18  
You say she's homely - I say she's positively fine! Some examples: (1) the fender-mounted tail lights and blinkers are still intact -rare. (2) the sheet metal is all there - also rare. (3) the grille guard is still straight, as are the extra limb lifters (4) the rear rims look to be rust-free at the valve stems (5) the 3-point lower arms are reinforced with flat bars welded along the bottom - gives a clue about how a L5450 3ph will lift a house (6) I really like that it hasn't been repainted - there are some worn spots that show it has done honest work, but no hiding of old damage or weld repairs. I think this L5450 looks great - an honest no-bull beefy tractor. Congrats !

If you look under the floorboards along the loader stays, the 2 braces may be clipped on there. I'll see if my loader manual has a drawing I can post. The two bolts from the front cradle are used to attach the flat bars to the bucket - and the stays support the boom.

/ L5450 feedback, please
Dick, one of the reasons I bought the tractor was the story from the seller and the dealer: The seller bought it from the dealer about 4 months ago with the intentions of installing a log grapple on the three point hitch. He had the dealer install the remotes, belly pan, and limb risers/top when he bought the tractor. For some reason the grapple didn't work correctly on the tractor and he bought a Log Hog. The dealer had checked and serviced the tractor before the sale. So the tractor wasn't used in logging for very long, so hopefully it wasn't over worked.

I see some clips on the 3 1/2" x 45" x 1/4" steel bars that run from the main loader mount to a bracket on the rear axle. I guess the brackets are missing. Pictures or diagrams would be appreciated. I ordered an owner's manual for the tractor while I was there, I guess I need to call back and get a loader manual.

/ L5450 feedback, please #20  
Here are some pages from the loader manual. Sounds like what's missing are what they call the "stands". From the Kub website the part number is 75560-55970 and they list for $48 each (ugh!) Before you order them ask the dealer to ask the prior owner to hunt around for them. If that fails, they could be home-made cheap using a couple pieces of 1/2 x 2" flat bar with bolts and slotted holes. I can get you dimensions from mine.

Attachments

• 9 reinstallation.pdf
    787.9 KB · Views: 86
  • 8 storage.pdf
    550.7 KB · Views: 98
  • 7 removal.pdf
    708.4 KB · Views: 87