Land Clearing Part 2

/ Land Clearing Part 2 #1  

WillingtonPizza

Bronze Member
I have slowly been clearing our land and have never used the same method twice. I have a backhoe, JD510, used that but made a big mess with the larger stumps. I rented an excavator, worked nicely but expensive and had to use something else to hall the stumps. This past summer I dropped my trees and skidded out the logs with the backhoe, I then hired a D7H with a six way, worked well but I had a place to put the debris. My question is: does anybody have bad experience with stumps that have been grinded? The tractor I just got has a stumpgrinder attachment that I think would work very well where I am clearing this year. Some people have told me that you can have problems with sink wholes. I don't mind repairing small ones once in a while, but not every year.

/ Land Clearing Part 2 #2  
Not sure in your area but its done here all the time where houses are gonna be built.. If your in the pasture i wouldnt think it would be a problem. I think you said in a earlier post you have mainly rocks, that may present itself as a problem to the teeth of your grinder.. I wouldnt think if you filled in your ground stump youd have much problems later w/ sink holes. They mainly appear when there is material in the hole that would decompose (wood) or if you dont pack and leave the area slightly higher then natural grade to allow for it to settle. You already got the grinder mind as well have some fun and grind.. Hope this helps..

/ Land Clearing Part 2 #3  
I have ground out alot of stumps. Yes you will have sink holes, BUT it will take a lllllllong time for it decay. This is what I do in open area's, Unless your going to build on them then dug them out and pack dirt back in shallow layers at a time. I hope I helped.

/ Land Clearing Part 2 #4  
I have been digging out my stumps, 1-2inchers to big 36 inch monsters. The monster stumps have to be dug out for the driveway and house site.

I have 5-6 acres I have to stump. Som areas I just want to leave open and others for pasture. I suppose the pasture I'm going to have to dig but for the other areas I'm considering a stump grinder.

I have walked into old stump holes from many decades ago. They can be deep holes, 12+ inches, but they are only as wide as the stump. When I dig up a stump it leaves a mess to be cleaned up. I think it would be easier to grind up the stump and just fill the hole with the wood chips and dirt. Some stumps I want to remove but if I dig them I'm going to most likely kill nearby trees.... Even with my dug up stumps I'm going to have sink holes.

Stumps are just a lot of work no matter what you do... 8-(

Hope this helps...
Dan McCarty

/ Land Clearing Part 2
This may sound stupid, many of my ideas do: Climb the tree, attatch a long rope, fasten the tree to another object a suitable distance away with a come along, Bend the tree, use the stump cutter to cut the roots on the opposite side. Pull tree down. (yes I am the guy that said to use old hydralic fuel for lube in a chain saw, I have been doing this for 7 years in my Husky 272 and Husky 262 with absolutly no problems and a lot of hard hours on them, I LOVE my chainsaws!!

/ Land Clearing Part 2 #6  
Several years ago I was doing some stumping on my place with simular results as yours. I finally learned that by cutting the stump as close to the ground as possible and them burning a tire on top of the stump works pretty well, if you are in an area that permits burning. Sometimes a second tire is required on larger stumps.

Rick

/ Land Clearing Part 2 #7  
I don't think most places that permit open burning include tires. In NY that's and Encon violation for the whole state and the local municipalities can't overide. I'd have to think most places are the same since tire smoke is some NASTY stuff.

/ Land Clearing Part 2 #8  
Hi Guys,
My method for stumps is; I cut the tree off as close to
ground level as possible. I then score it with a chain saw
in criss cross pattern. The deeper the better. Then soak it
good with charcoal lighter fluid. Then pile a bag or two of
barbeque grill type charcoal on top and light it. (large stumps
will take more than one bag.) Small ones take 1/2 bag.
Stump will burn off to a couple inches below ground. I have
removed around 20 stumps this way. Some as large as 12 in.
Very little smoke, and relatively cheap method. Rick

Rick Hedgecock
R&B Manufacturing
http://www.tiltmeter.com
(816)587-9814

/ Land Clearing Part 2
Now that sounds like something I can do with out the town upset with me.

/ Land Clearing Part 2 #10  
Not a problem in TX. But, I don't live in the city and we burn all kinds of stuff. Even the dumps won't take tires any more. I agree that its pretty funky exhaust, but it sure takes care of tree stumps. I generally call the fire dept before burning so they don't respond to a false call.