Land Pride grading scraper

/ Land Pride grading scraper #271  
JUBILEE1953 said:
has anyone used a grading scraper on reclaimed asphalt? does it work as well as with gravel? there is a base of gravel, reclaim over it.

I just did a driveway the other day for a neighbor, was about 30 tons of crushed asphalt and it works very well, the LPGS smooths it out well, and once you get it close I always put it down and drive backwards as it sorta packs it and smooths out for a perfect finish. Btw that's about all we put down for driveways anymore as it works so well.

Last edited:
   / Land Pride grading scraper #272  
has anyone used a grading scraper on reclaimed asphalt? does it work as well as with gravel? there is a base of gravel, reclaim over it.

No, not for me anyway and my grader is about 1400lbs. :( But I'm sure that it makes a difference with how well it was put down and how hard it is now.

If you are going to use it to spread, (doesn't sound like it though) it would probably work pretty good.

/ Land Pride grading scraper #273  
Jubilee,

I have dressed up reclaimed asphalt over gravel, just make sure you don't go deep enough to bring the gravel to the top.

/ Land Pride grading scraper #274  
When the reclaimed is still reasonably freshly laid down it will work however given ,say, a year of hot sun forget it as it will be a horrible clumpy mess.
My recycled drive is about as solid as the main paved road and the recycle that our city laid on our gravel road hills last fall are today just as nice as if they had been done with fresh hot asphalt.
I'll also add that we are in Canada and not in the hotter south.
The trick with recycle is lay it down correctly the first time and don't touch it again.

/ Land Pride grading scraper #275  
When the reclaimed is still reasonably freshly laid down it will work however given ,say, a year of hot sun forget it as it will be a horrible clumpy mess.
My recycled drive is about as solid as the main paved road and the recycle that our city laid on our gravel road hills last fall are today just as nice as if they had been done with fresh hot asphalt.
I'll also add that we are in Canada and not in the hotter south.
The trick with recycle is lay it down correctly the first time and don't touch it again.

When it sticks together I would use a vibratory roller to smooth it out. In time you should be able to lay down a layer of asphalt for a real drive.

/ Land Pride grading scraper #277  
My local dealer has the GS1572 in stock for $1030 w/o scarifiers which I think is a pretty decent price. But the only thing I have to pull it with right now is my 8N Ford. I do at times pull a 6' Finish Mower with the 8N and it works well if the grass isn't too high. But I'm kinda thinking I might be better off to have him order me the GS1548. I'm thinking the 8N will handle the 4' easier than the 6' plus my driveway is about 8'-10' wide and I could just make a pass down each side and hopefully build a crown in the middle. Only drawback on the 4' is that the wheelbase of the 8N is about 6'. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks!!! Smitty

/ Land Pride grading scraper #279  
Thanks MtnView. I had considered the Befco 5'. Local JD dealer sells Befco which is actually made in my home state of NC but didn't have any in stock. Said he'd order me the 5' for $1387 so I whipped out my Amex card. Said he didn't accept Amex, only MC & Visa. Kinda PO'd me hahaha - so I went shopping and found the LP GS1572 in stock at the Kubato dealer for $1030. Don't really think the 5' Befco is worth $350 more that the 6' LP anyhow. Look about the same to me and the weight is comparable. Also found a 6' Howse at the Mahindra dealer for $850 but I just don't like the looks of the Howse. Lighter weight and the blades not adjustable at all. Right now thinking I'll order the LP, either GS1560 or GS1548. Thanks for the response. Smitty
Get a 5 footer, no big deal to overlap a foot or so. ;)

/ Land Pride grading scraper #280  
Unless you can get a good deal ordering a smaller LP scraper I would get the 6' model. When I was looking I couldn't find a LP or Woods scraper, even without the rippers, for the price of the Befco. I pull a 6' Befco behind my Kubota 4240 without a problem at all. Traction is the only problem I ever have and that's caused by driving over the loosened gravel while trying to pull gravel back up a steep driveway. Simply raising the 3pt just a little bit reduces the bite and how hard it pulls.

One thing I did is made a second set of holes for the frame the blades above the factory holes. This allows me to raise the blades on my Befco higher than the side skids. I think the LP can do it from the factory. This also reduces how much the scraper will pull on the tractor. Will you be getting a newer tractor in the future? If so will the 48" be too small?