Rake Landscape rake and pine needles?

/ Landscape rake and pine needles? #11  
Were can I purchase the Leinbach pinestraw rake .
I have 8 acres with leaves and sticks so I think this will work.

/ Landscape rake and pine needles? #12  

Get in touch with Leinbach and ask if they have a dealer near you, or check around, or order direct--shipping may eat you, though.

Leinbach Home

(not a big time web site company, best to call & talk to Jane or Todd there)

Their site is really incomplete, so be sure to call.

J

/ Landscape rake and pine needles? #13  
I got a price from Todd back in May of this year. It was $179 for the 6' model and about $175 for shipping to CA. I didn't get one then because I wasn't sure if it would work all that well. I keep thinking about a PTO powered vacuum system. They are a lot more expensive though. Based on what I've read here, it seems as though this Leinbach rake may be what I need to get.

/ Landscape rake and pine needles? #15  

Knew that shipping was going to be a rude surprise. Do they have any CA dealers that they ship full truck loads to, or can you find a moving company coming from there (or someone transfering) who can piggyback it for you? Maybe you can come up with a creative solution. Don't believe the Friendly Skies of United or Delta would let it go as checked baggage /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Watch out for those PTO vacs. I have had varied results, though something dry like pine needles could work a whole lot better than deciduous leaves, that usually manage to be a bit wet, etc. I've used a Trac-Vac (not high quality in my opinion) and the OEM "QDS Vac" on my ZTR Exmark mower (better but very complex and rickety), mainly for leaves and grass. They both tend to clog easily, mulch irregularly, and come apart frequently (so many bolts, nuts, etc). I'm not sure the technology is there yet, but again your mileage on pine needles may vary.

J

/ Landscape rake and pine needles? #16  

I'll take a picture of mine and post it soon as I can remember during the daylight.

In the meantime, have you seen this?

Pine Straw Professional

Big business it seems. I also found a site selling the Leinbach rakes out of Delaware. Over $300 for the smallest, which shows that the freight cost is finding its way in once you leave Winston-Salem.

J

/ Landscape rake and pine needles? #17  
Here's another solution, more expensive and used for hay as well as pine straw. Can run on 3pt hitches. I think they also have a garden tractor model.
rake

John

/ Landscape rake and pine needles? #18  

If he's going to bale them, a wheel rake makes sense, but only if he has the width to use it--see that other site I URL'd in the previous post. In fact any hay rake will likely work, won't it, provided he can fit it in the workspace? And, again according to the pinestraw site, a fairly conventional baler will bale them, again depending on width.

J

/ Landscape rake and pine needles? #19  
brad_oatley said:
You need a pine straw rake. Not the big motorized baling things, just a 3 pt rake. Leinbach makes one. It is a 3 point hitch frame with long tines that are like 7 guage spring steel wire. It is way less agressive than a landscape rake. I think Carver, one of the sponsers on this website
sells them.

Great find :) That sounds like just what I need for my yard. I purchased a regular Woods landscape rake but it tears up the grass an all. A regular landscape rake is definitely not great for raking pine needles and leaves. The pine straw rake sounds just about perfect for raking up pine needles which I have plenty of.

Thanks for posting.
Norm

/ Landscape rake and pine needles? #20  
You need a pine straw rake. Not the big motorized baling things, just a 3 pt rake. Leinbach makes one. It is a 3 point hitch frame with long tines that are like 7 guage spring steel wire. It is way less agressive than a landscape rake. I think Carver, one of the sponsers on this website
sells them.

Great find :) That sounds like just what I need for my yard. I purchased a regular Woods landscape rake but it tears up the grass an all. A regular landscape rake is definitely not great for raking pine needles and leaves. The pine straw rake sounds just about perfect for raking up pine needles which I have plenty of. /QUOTE]

Which do you folk's with hands on experience consider the right tool for raking up raking up pine cones 1 to 5 inch diameter & short pieces of branches (1 to 5 inch diameter) x 6 to 18 inches long a Point Pine Needle Rake ( I am thinking this rakes tines may be to light and let branches slip by) or a Landscape Rake for raking up pine cones & short & small pieces of branches up to 4 inch diameter without digging into the earth ( I really don't want to disturb the grasses roots & cause a dusty pasture. Thanks Bill