Lawn Roller

/ Lawn Roller #21  
Use a Sonotube and put a pipe in the center and fill it with concrete.

/ Lawn Roller #22  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Use a Sonotube and put a pipe in the center and fill it with concrete.)</font>
maybe you can tell us what that is?
John

/ Lawn Roller #23  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( </font><font color="blueclass=small">( Use a Sonotube and put a pipe in the center and fill it with concrete.)</font>
maybe you can tell us what that is?
John )</font>

Sonnotube (sp) Burke Tube, ect.... is basically a round (HEAVY) cardboard "tube" of a specified diameter, used as a concrete for (in construction) to form round concrete pillars, or simular "structures". They are available at most construction/concrete product vendors. They are typically put together in a spiral manner, so that they can be "stripped" once the concrete is cured.

/ Lawn Roller #24  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Sonnotube (sp) Burke Tube, ect.... is basically a round (HEAVY) cardboard "tube" of a specified diameter, used as a concrete for (in construction) to form round concrete pillars, or simular "structures". They are available at most construction/concrete product vendors. They are typically put together in a spiral manner, so that they can be "stripped" once the concrete is cured. )</font>
Okay, thanks Indy. I had heard of a Burke Tube, but wouldn't have remembered what it was without a reminder!
John

/ Lawn Roller #25  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">(
Sonnotube (sp) Burke Tube, ect.... is basically a round (HEAVY) cardboard "tube" of a specified diameter, used as a concrete for (in construction) to form round concrete pillars, or simular "structures". They are available at most construction/concrete product vendors. They are typically put together in a spiral manner, so that they can be "stripped" once the concrete is cured. )</font>

I really don't think the sonotube would be a good idea. Once you take the tube off you expose the concrete and the concrete will start to chip and crumble. If I remember right there was discussion of this before here on TBN.

murph

/ Lawn Roller #26  
Steve
To answer your question, I work for a large public utility, this was scrap from a pump discharge line and was headed to the scrap yard. I bought for .03 per lb. and that is the same price the scrap yard gives us. 24" isn't very large to us. I think the wall thickness is 1/4-5/16". I don't mind a little rust from setting out in the weather for a few months. Junk steel for the project cost around $30. Scrap yard is a great place to buy this stuff as well. Same place we sell to will let you buy for .50 per lb. New material now is in the dollar per lb range, that fifty cent per lb starts to look good real fast. I bet there are scrap yards around the country that will cut you a much better deal. Think I'm going over there myself and look for some old forklift forks for my next project. If you can weld and fab a little this is a easy project.
Chris

/ Lawn Roller #27  
Lots of people around here have formed concrete as a roller. There was even one in my pole barn when I moved in and yes, it was chipped and crumbling, but it was probably 60 years old, too.

/ Lawn Roller
Yes....That is a lawn roller. Looks like an old propane tank. I wouldn't want to be the one one who welds that! Real nice though. That's what I'm talking about.

/ Lawn Roller
Hagar, That's a great idea.....Cheap and heavy / durable. If you get 5000 psi concrete there's no way rolling the lawn will crumble it, especially if you put some rebar in there. Maybe in 40 years /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Lawn Roller #30  
I bought a metal lawn roller from Northern Tool for $199 48"x 24" and weighs over 900lbs filled with water. Sand is a good alternative for cold climates. It was a good buy for the money and does a nice job.