Lawn Tractor vs Zero Turn

/ Lawn Tractor vs Zero Turn #181  
A big motor working easy is better than a little motor working hard.

Someone said the other day their shop said they never had parts for Kawasaki and didn't even know how to work on them - because they never HAD to work on them.

The Grasshopper mowers are known as excellent mowers and their Vanguard engines are well regarded. I follow a Grasshopper owners group because I've been considering a Grasshopper and don't see complaints about the Briggs Vanguard over there. But lack of having the choice has given me some pause about buying a Grasshopper. I had made the dealer an offer on a Grasshopper Stand On mower with the Vanguard and he came down a good bit. We were only $500 apart. I was surprised he could get that close but there was a couple new Stihl Z turns sitting there too. And when I found out Stihl was coming out with a Stand On with a Kawasaki I hesitated. I'm between a JD and a Grasshopper now.
Mine has the Vanguard motor. If you are going to be mowing rough ground, the 4 wheel suspension is a much appreciated feature on the Stihl.

/ Lawn Tractor vs Zero Turn #183  

Attachments

• IMG_0204.jpeg
    IMG_0204.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 50
   / Lawn Tractor vs Zero Turn #184  
Get the best of both worlds: Buy a cheaper ZTR and put a aftermarket suspension seat on it. My Deere 930M has a adjustable suspension seat on it. Love that seat.

/ Lawn Tractor vs Zero Turn #185  
Stihl mower is a Ferris

/ Lawn Tractor vs Zero Turn
Get the best of both worlds: Buy a cheaper ZTR and put a aftermarket suspension seat on it. My Deere 930M has a adjustable suspension seat on it. Love that seat.

Sounds good in theory, but suspension seats (if just buying the parts) seem to be $1k+. At least that was the answer I got (actually $1200) for the Cub Cadet I bought.

/ Lawn Tractor vs Zero Turn #188  
Ferris was owned by B&S, then was sold to a venture cap firm and they make all the mowers Simplicity-Ferris-Stihl mowers.

Bottom line the basic machines are good ZT - $4-7K for residential units, but to get the best of the suspension system the commercial units are the one to buy, and those will be $7-15K range.