Leaf Vac/Chipper/Shreadder

/ Leaf Vac/Chipper/Shreadder #11  
I think you are right, the two principles seem to be mutually exclusive. Suction is created by a fan, shredding in created by hammer or knives. In general, there is a small reduction in volume with the leaf catchers/vacs, but nothing like you would get with a nice shredder. In fact, if reducing leaves is part of your plan, you may want to look at a chipper/shredder with an output screen, like a Mackissick. You can get various size output screens for them.

I wonder how much suction the blower kit creates on the Woods or Bearcat chippers? Since they are bottom discharge units, you need to blower kit to get the chips to go up and out a top discharge chute. The Wally is designed to top discharge fro the get go. There is definitely wind coming out of it, and it can blows the chips quite far, but again, my impression is that that does not lead to lots of suction on the intake.

/ Leaf Vac/Chipper/Shreadder #12  
Watching the video, I didn't notice much "vacuum" action at the shredder hopper. I wonder how well the system works.

/ Leaf Vac/Chipper/Shreadder
Fast forward to 1:55 to get an idea of the suction power of the Bearcat.
https://youtu.be/O_5uM1YGnWg
Certainly looks like plenty, and will work for me! But that dang 2-speed blower is almost as much as the chipper!
Bearcat MSRP:
Chipper=$2995
Blower= $2299
Hose kit $ 799
Total $6093

(Not including shipping, screens or mower discharge adapter) Although I see there is a $500 discount sale for this size chipper from Bearcat starting Monday.

/ Leaf Vac/Chipper/Shreadder #14  
Fast forward to 1:55 to get an idea of the suction power of the Bearcat.
https://youtu.be/O_5uM1YGnWg
Certainly looks like plenty, and will work for me! But that dang 2-speed blower is almost as much as the chipper!
Bearcat MSRP:
Chipper=$2995
Blower= $2299
Hose kit $ 799
Total $6093

(Not including shipping, screens or mower discharge adapter) Although I see there is a $500 discount sale for this size chipper from Bearcat starting Monday.

Well that certainly seems like plenty of suction with those block off plates to seal the inputs up nicely. Makes me wonder if the Wally would produce enough suction for your needs with block off plates like those.

So the bearcat, with the blower option would hit all your needs, just need a mower deck adapter and some sort of hopper to hold the leaves. Might be able to attached some sort of hitch to the back on the chipper/shredder and tow a trailer to catch the leaves...?

Well, I pulled the trigger on a used Bearcat with the 2-speed blower on Ebay. Now just working on freight to get here so I can get some actual measurements.

This is all getting installed on a Mahindra MAX 25 with 60" MMM. Mahindra does not offer a mower deck boot/chute. I think the Cyclone Rake Mower Deck Adapter with hose and connections should do the trick. Cyclone Rake Mower Deck Adapter

/ Leaf Vac/Chipper/Shreadder #16  
Trac-vac would be another option for a mower deck adapter, cyclone rake might be cheaper/easier to get. Just make sure it matches the hose size from Bearcat. I don't see the pics, but it says tractor and trailer, do you plan to modify the trailer to collect the leaves as you drive along?

That's the idea. (Im having technical difficulties uploading the pics. Sorry.) The Bearcat Vacuum hose is 8" and so is the mower deck adapter for Cyclone Rake. Trac-vac would be another good choice.

/ Leaf Vac/Chipper/Shreadder #18  
I'm excited to see how this turns out!

Think it will work?
20150612_063522.jpg
20150612_063502.jpg
20150612_063659.jpg

Looks like I can attach a piece of square tubing underneath the right-hand 3-pt attachment arm of the bearcat for the hitch stinger.

You can see the angle of the PTO shaft is pretty sharp when the 3-pt is raised very far so I'm limited a bit on "on the fly" clearances.

Ordered a metal trac-vac chute that is made to fit my 60" Mahindra belly mower deck. Actually its the only one I could find for it that wasn't "universal" or "custom" fit.

/ Leaf Vac/Chipper/Shreadder #20  
Got busy for a few days there. Made any more progress? With the chipper and a trailer attached, you'll have a lot of weight on the rear of the tractor. I'd guess you'll need to leave the FEL on, or add some front weights to counter balance. As you mentioned, not a lot of ground clearance back there also, watch transitions between flat and slopes and bumps etc where the unit might drag on the ground.