Leaf Vac/Chipper/Shreadder

/ Leaf Vac/Chipper/Shreadder
Waiting on parts for the time being and I can get some better measurements. You are right.. Ground clearance will be an issue. I was hoping I could extend the draw bar hitch out to attach the trailer and that the chipper would sit down on it, but that's not going to work. I also thought about attaching some "anti-scalp" training wheels back there to aid in the transitions. The thing is, the design of this chipper is more of an exoskeleton- in that the housing IS the frame. The legs just attach to the formed steel of the chipper for it to sit on stationary. There could be a lot of flexing and stressing by loading it on the move that way. Then again maybe a chain or something from the draw bar to the wheels to prevent the excess torque and just let the 3-pt arms "float".

It seems front end weight will not an issue. There wont be that much weight from the leaves in the trailer. Its pretty well balanced. In fact I worry more about loading the rear of the trailer causing upward pressure on the tongue. I could leave the FEL on if I need to, but I have Rim-Guard in all the tires for ballast as well. I just wont be taking the hills on the property like I normally do. If I let thing sit on wheels, that would prevent the counter balance issue also.

/ Leaf Vac/Chipper/Shreadder #22  
Just wondering if you ever got the rig up and running? If so, how'd it work?

Just wondering if you ever got the rig up and running? If so, how'd it work?

Funny you should ask... I just got it all pretty much together. Its been a fun project. Here are a few in-process photos, but I will post more of it completed. It is functional but it has been so wet and rainy here to really give it an objective thumbs up or not.

I made a bolt on receiver for the hitch to the bottom of the chipper and hit it with a little paint.
A little bit of "fitting" to do with the Trac-Vac discharge chute.
There is a square block-off plate that goes in the chipper inlet to increase the vacuum. This was made out of 3/4 plywood and a purchased handle. (not shown)
The inlet bonnet with the 8" collar is made out of steel plate. (not shown) This was a fun day teaching my son how to stick weld. But I myself (re)learned a lesson. The plate "potato-chipped" from the welding and doesn't sit flat to seal. Not sure what I'm going to do long term but for now duct tape it is! (photos forthcoming)
I had a short piece of 6" ss flex ducting from a chimney liner project, (shown) I was hoping to be able to use, but is too short. I purchased the 8" hose for the vacuum side and 6" hose for the discharge and clamps. (photos forthcoming).
I bought a 25" length of the 8" hose and cut it to length. I have a hose coupler to re-attach it to use the excess for manual suction jobs even if the mower part doesn't work out.
The 6" discharge hose just dumps into the trailer and is held in place just with a bungee cord. This works for now, but the volume of air this thing moves is intense! I need to make a cover to help contain the debris from just flying everywhere!
The shredder really chops up the leaves into tiny- almost dirt sized particles- much finer than I was expecting.
The whole apparatus is all pretty large and cumbersome. I have a lot of hilly and uneven terrain with trees. I will likely just mow it into windrows as much as I can first then follow up with the vac. Just waiting on dryer weather so I can deal with these leaves from this last fall that are soggy and starting to decay.

Attachments

• 6A_resized.jpg
    6A_resized.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 221
  • 4A_resized.jpg
    4A_resized.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 148
  • 3A_resized.jpg
    3A_resized.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 125
  • 2A_resized.jpg
    2A_resized.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 152
  • 1A_resized.jpg
    1A_resized.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 128
   / Leaf Vac/Chipper/Shreadder #24  
Interesting rig. Looks like it ought to work great.

I have the same chipper/shredder and the 2 speed blower is ordered. Looking forward to trying it out.

/ Leaf Vac/Chipper/Shreadder #25  
When operating, what angle do you have on the PTO? Looks pretty steep in the photos, but I suppose you lower it some while operating.

When operating, what angle do you have on the PTO? Looks pretty steep in the photos, but I suppose you lower it some while operating.

You are right. It is pretty steep. But it runs pretty good where you see it in the photo. Any higher and the safety collar would start to rub and put things in a bind. It wouldn't be an issue with a larger (taller) tractor. Its not optimal for sure. I realize what I am doing is "unconventional" for its intended purpose. In fact, I know I shouldn't even be running the chipper with it not setting down on its legs. I don't think I want to chip any wood that way.

Here are a few more photos. As you can see things are still pretty wet.

Attachments

• 20160223_161927_resized.png
    20160223_161927_resized.png
    513.9 KB · Views: 102
  • 20160223_161948_resized.png
    20160223_161948_resized.png
    485.7 KB · Views: 92
  • 20160223_162311_resized.png
    20160223_162311_resized.png
    406.7 KB · Views: 118
  • 20160223_162209_resized.png
    20160223_162209_resized.png
    475 KB · Views: 107
  • 20160223_162057_resized.png
    20160223_162057_resized.png
    526.2 KB · Views: 109
  • 20160223_162038_resized.png
    20160223_162038_resized.png
    472.6 KB · Views: 108
  • 20160223_162025_resized.png
    20160223_162025_resized.png
    605.6 KB · Views: 117
  • 20160223_162002_resized.png
    20160223_162002_resized.png
    492.2 KB · Views: 95
   / Leaf Vac/Chipper/Shreadder #28  
Do you have plans to add some sort of top to the cart? When things dry out a bit, the leaves will likely fly all over!

/ Leaf Vac/Chipper/Shreadder #30  
Once leaves go through a mowing machine, they don't really need any more grinding. You just need a blower to suck it into a trailer in the back. Think the DR folks have this kind of machine. I've often collected leaves in bags from the silly town people who just throw them away. I just dump the ones that obviously have been through a mower into a bagger right onto my compost pile.

For me, I'd like to have a shredder/chipper (also need the chipper for limbs) that would suck in the bags of leaves a bit faster. My McKissic TPH-122 is great for shredding up the leaves, but they have to be dribbled by hand into the top hopper. You dump them in, and they just bridge up in there. Don't know how the "Mac" would take a steady blow discharge from a mower. Probably would work fine, but can't imagine how you'd seal it up, etc.

Ralph