lets discuss preps for disasters

/ lets discuss preps for disasters #21  
Being born and raised on the coast of FL...I learned at a young age to be prepared for (possibly) several weeks without assistance etc...
For a longer term without going to great expense or extremes...beans, rice and honey keep very well long term...

Keep your powder dry...

/ lets discuss preps for disasters #22  
Don't forget, the water in your water heaters is available. You likely have 40 - 80 gallons of emergency water on hand.

...and toilet tanks!

Also herein there is a lot of practical information on being prepared:
http://thesurvivalmom.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/LDS-Preparedness-Manual.pdf

We have cases of canned chili and bean, peanut butter, always 2x 25# bags of rice, ramen noodles, and a variety of other foods, drinks mixes to make purified water taste better, a deep well which should have safe water pretty much not matter what, and when we run out of gas for the generator, I have the plans and materials to make a hand pump out of PVC and a few pieces of hardware.

We have a woodstove with a cook top and adequate supplies for cutting and splitting our own firewood with or without gasoline.

We also have bug out bags and they have a wide range of items, but include water purification straws that are proof against both giardia and cryptospodidium for upwards of a year.

For what it is worth, the process of being prepared is never complete, it's always a work in process, and just being aware and noncomplacent is the first and maybe most important step.

Thomas

Last edited:
   / lets discuss preps for disasters #24  
A couple years ago some TBN member (forgive me, I forgot which one of you) mentioned the first thing that was horded after a large hurricane was the toilet paper. None to be found for miles and miles in any direction. Kinda makes you think, when the **** hits the fan, how you gonna clean it up? har, har!!! But it all seriousness, it amazes me how many people don't keep more than a couple days worth of food, water, toiletries.... you know, the essential stuff, on-hand. I think we'd be able to go a couple months on the dry goods in our house. If we had generator fuel for the freezer, we could go close to a year, I'm sure. I still think we need a better first aid kit, though. Gotta work on that one.

/ lets discuss preps for disasters #26  
And old garden hoses that might have water in them....

/ lets discuss preps for disasters #27  
Get a clothesline and a washtub, too. And some bar soap.

/ lets discuss preps for disasters #28  
More along the line of catastrophic times - but ..........

Antibiotics are essential. You can get these without a prescription by buying bird/fish antibiotics. These are the exact thing your doctor prescribes for you.

If you are one to consider the possibility of massive grid failure - lasting for many months - this will make sense to you.

/ lets discuss preps for disasters #29  
A couple years ago some TBN member (forgive me, I forgot which one of you) mentioned the first thing that was horded after a large hurricane was the toilet paper. None to be found for miles and miles in any direction. Kinda makes you think, when the **** hits the fan, how you gonna clean it up? har, har!!! But it all seriousness, it amazes me how many people don't keep more than a couple days worth of food, water, toiletries.... you know, the essential stuff, on-hand. I think we'd be able to go a couple months on the dry goods in our house. If we had generator fuel for the freezer, we could go close to a year, I'm sure. I still think we need a better first aid kit, though. Gotta work on that one.

You may want to talk to your doctor (or your PA might be more amenable) about getting some prescriptions for things like Bactroban cream, which can not only prevent infection of even serious wounds, it can also treat infections in cuts; maybe some Zofran for acute nausea, and if you have any needed prescription medicines, possibly some extras to store (remembering to rotate your stock as new fills come through.)

The only problem with having oral antibiotics on hand at home is knowing what ones to use for what infections- that's hard enough for me sometimes in normal times, and I have been doing it professionally for 22 years.

Thomas