let's discuss the best way to mow a field...

/ let's discuss the best way to mow a field... #11  
Rocket science is easy!
...It's rocket engineering that is the difficult part.

/ let's discuss the best way to mow a field... #12  
Its mowing and not rocket science . mow a round on each end lay off a land and start . work left to right / right to left it really doesn't matter . just start on longest side

X2. .

/ let's discuss the best way to mow a field... #13  
80%? Eh. It's "A Number" I suppose. Good as any! :confused3:
I'd guess in reality it's wide ranging +15% (65%-95%) depending on the size of the field and its geometry.

Here are some estimated efficiency factors for various implements from http://caes2.caes.uga.edu/engineering/handbook/documents/capacity.pdf. You could achieve 100% efficiency if you were mowing a single swath exactly the width of your mower around the circumference of a field under center-pivot irrigation. But given my age, I might have to allow for a bathroom break.:)

Screenshot 2018-05-08 at 12.30.48 PM.png

Steve

Last edited:
   / let's discuss the best way to mow a field... #14  
IMHO spitting a field more especially a large field into 2 or more lands just creates ""more corners which requires more time"". Start at outside go round & round then when you get to the middle then mow the corners & your done.

/ let's discuss the best way to mow a field... #15  
When I was mowing my 3 1/2 acre yard, I though about the same thing and my Navy background kicked in.
In a search and rescue scenario, you want to cover the search area as quickly as possible and leave no portion of the area un-searched.
When you have a large but defined area, the recommended search pattern is called "Parallel Search". So that's the pattern I used when mowing.
The problem is you need to be able to do a 180 degree turn in the width of your mower.

Search Patterns PPT.jpg

Search Patterns PPT 2.jpg

/ let's discuss the best way to mow a field... #16  
IMHO spitting a field more especially a large field into 2 or more lands just creates ""more corners which requires more time"". Start at outside go round & round then when you get to the middle then mow the corners & your done.

If the field is round Thats an option. Every time I see someone mowing in circles when they are done it looks worse than stump whooped chittlens.

/ let's discuss the best way to mow a field... #17  
..... Every time I see someone mowing in circles when they are done it looks worse than stump whooped chittlens.

That's a new one for me.:) Any photos of what they look like?;)

Steve

/ let's discuss the best way to mow a field... #18  
That's a new one for me.:) Any photos of what they look like?;)

Steve

if you know what chittlns are and what they contain its not hard to imagine that everything will be covered in SHYT

/ let's discuss the best way to mow a field... #19  
I use NASCAR method ..........go fast and turn left!

/ let's discuss the best way to mow a field... #20  
You know - I see/hear a lot of good ideas on how to mow. Except I sure don't want any "stump whooped chitlins" round here. I don't give a D-A-M-N how good they are. I got a good idea what it looks like also - I had an occasion to dispatch a raccoon with a big stick. It wasn't pretty and it smelled to high heaven.