Let's see some homemade 3 point ballast!

/ Let's see some homemade 3 point ballast! #31  
Lynn,

I have thinking about your idea of not loading the hydraulics, for a few days.

I am a total novice tractor owner, with only about 20 hours on my tractor, mainly repairing roads with the bucket and some pallet-fork work. Therefore, any thoughts I have on the matter have no basis in experience.

As a novice, with so little experience, I have some nagging thoughts that not being able to ground the ballast block without having at hand blocks to stand it on has the potential for me to find myself in a spot of bother. An experienced tractor user will almost certainly either know how to avoid getting into a situation where the ballast has to be jettisoned, or would know how to get out of the situation without jettisoning the ballast. I can't actually think of a specific scenario where the ballast might need to be jettisoned, but that doesn't mean there aren't any.

Still undecided.
Ken

/ Let's see some homemade 3 point ballast! #32  
Here's the thing Ken,

There's no real hurry and you have time to consider everything you'll need/don't need out of your ballast box. Then build it to suit your needs. :thumbsup:

/ Let's see some homemade 3 point ballast! #33  
A few questions about casting a concrete block...

1. When using regular plywood for the formwork, do you apply some sort of release agent to prevent adhesion between the concrete and the ply? I assume this isn't a problem if one uses Formply?

2. From what I have read, concrete cures to maximum strength if cured wet, and takes 28 days to achieve in the high 90s percentage of its maximum strength. Does this mean that all one has to do is leave the formwork in place for 28 days while ensuring that the top of the block is covered to prevent evaporation of any water?

3. My design (at the moment - it keeps changing as I read more TBN :) ) involves threaded rods passing right through the block and projecting through the formwork. If I run nuts on the rods snugged up against the formwork, I think this will be adequate to prevent bulging, or does one still need to built a frame out of 2x4s or similar?

Thanks
Ken

/ Let's see some homemade 3 point ballast! #34  
A few questions about casting a concrete block...

1. When using regular plywood for the formwork, do you apply some sort of release agent to prevent adhesion between the concrete and the ply? I assume this isn't a problem if one uses Formply?

2. From what I have read, concrete cures to maximum strength if cured wet, and takes 28 days to achieve in the high 90s percentage of its maximum strength. Does this mean that all one has to do is leave the formwork in place for 28 days while ensuring that the top of the block is covered to prevent evaporation of any water?

3. My design (at the moment - it keeps changing as I read more TBN :) ) involves threaded rods passing right through the block and projecting through the formwork. If I run nuts on the rods snugged up against the formwork, I think this will be adequate to prevent bulging, or does one still need to built a frame out of 2x4s or similar?

Thanks
Ken

1. Diesel spray.
2. Form can come off or not. Obviously, more covered is better. Letting it cure for for a month is overkill IMO. The Two concrete ballast boxes I have built I waited a week. YMMV.
3. Yes, you probably still need an "exoskeleton." (At least I would). Cheap insurance.

Also, when you pour, make sure you are on a level spot.

/ Let's see some homemade 3 point ballast! #35  
1. Diesel spray.
2. Form can come off or not. Obviously, more covered is better. Letting it cure for for a month is overkill IMO. The Two concrete ballast boxes I have built I waited a week. YMMV.
3. Yes, you probably still need an "exoskeleton." (At least I would). Cheap insurance.

Also, when you pour, make sure you are on a level spot.

^^^^^
What he said. Except I used old motor oil to coat the forms.

I removed the forms the day after I poured it. Moved it into the barn after about 5 days. Then let it sit for about 3 weeks while I painted it. There are no cracks or anything that I can see.

/ Let's see some homemade 3 point ballast!
^^^^^
What he said. Except I used old motor oil to coat the forms.

I removed the forms the day after I poured it. Moved it into the barn after about 5 days. Then let it sit for about 3 weeks while I painted it. There are no cracks or anything that I can see.

Did you do anything to wash it to remove the motor oil before you painted it?

/ Let's see some homemade 3 point ballast! #37  
Yes, we used a cement cleaner of some sort. My wife bought it, I just used it.:laughing:

I would have just used some dish soap and called it good.:)

/ Let's see some homemade 3 point ballast! #38  
Looking for ideas to make my own 3 point ballast. I'd love to see what you've made for yours.

IMG_0797.JPG

/ Let's see some homemade 3 point ballast! #40