Flail Mower Let's talk flail mowers

/ Let's talk flail mowers #151  
sunspot said:
IH, I went back and re-read this thread. This is what I read as far as limitations on the flail.
-------------------------------------------------------
May not be a fast mower (forward speed).
Possible damage to flail if ground is rocky or rough.
One 2" sapling at a time. Cutting them may be difficult as the roller will lay them down.
------------------------------------------------------

Not so bad as I can see.:D
Your right, that's not so bad but I just don't want to get into a situation where I regret. I think I'll keep the hog as a back up. Thanks everyone.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #152  
Nuru said:
I looked for the side shift and could not find it on Agri-supply's website

The shift kit may still be a special order item. It was when I got mine. If you are interested, call them.

Vernon

/ Let's talk flail mowers #153  
streamin said:
Your right, that's not so bad but I just don't want to get into a situation where I regret. I think I'll keep the hog as a back up. Thanks everyone.
That's exactly how I feel. Anytime I get ready to spend >3 figures, I'm nervous.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #154  
I've heard about forward and reverse rotation flails. Which is which? I would think that the "normal", forward rotation flail would swing the knives such that they sweep the grass in the same direction as the tractor is moving, then swing up at the front of the mower. In other words, clockwise when viewed from the left side of the unit. Is this correct?

What would be the advantage of reverse rotation?

-John

/ Let's talk flail mowers #155  
texbaylea said:
The shift kit may still be a special order item. It was when I got mine. If you are interested, call them.

Vernon

thanks Vernon, I will do that.:)

/ Let's talk flail mowers #156  
Ok, I pulled the trigger on a Caroni today, but will have to wait several weeks as I requested a new one, rather than one that has been sitting outside for a few months. The cost was $1,695.95, plus $121 shipping to South Carolina.

I thought I'd post all the info I learned to save people some time. First, I called several of the Agri-Supply stores and the people I spoke to there weren't over knowledgeable about the product, but they did say they only sold 1 or 2 a year (of the 73" at least), and the one they had in stock had been sitting outside for a while. Each of the seven store locations had exactly 1 TM1900BSC in stock, except the VA location which did not have one. Note that they also carry 36", 47", and 59" models (some may also have the A or F rotors, not certain). Here are the locations and telephone numbers (and number in stock as of today of the 73"):

Petersburg, VA - 800-551-0415 (zero)
Lumberton, NC - 800-277-0062 (1)
Florence, SC - 800-342-1294 (1)
Tifton, GA - 800-833-1458 (1)
Stateshouse, GA - 800-354-1989 (1)
Garner, NC 800-662-1873 (1)
Greenville, NC - 800-445-6814 (1)

I called Italy and spoke to Caroni headquarters but since their English is not the greatest and my Italian is non-existent, I simply got referred to the U.S. distributor, which was helpful as I got good help from them. I spoke with John Morris (919-772-9722), who referred me to Matt Fitzgerald (919-614-1914). Matt very helpful and provided the product info I was looking for. He also helped me with estimates on delivery times, although he was a bit uncertain himself as he's never sure exactly when shipments will arive from Italy.

Matt said they had about 28 TM1900BSCs on order and expected them sometime between April 26 and June 15. He referred me to the Sales person (Beverly at 800-345-0169). I spoke to Beverly and ordered a TM1900BSC (Agri-Supply part number you should give them is 30837, if you want the 73" one with B-rotor). They can special order anything you want from the Caroni line, so if you want the A or F rotor, you can get it, but will likely take several months for delivery. Caroni web site, as previously posted, is:

Caroni S.p.a.

As to the products use, many others have weighed in previously, but the distributor did confirm that the A or F rotor versions were more suitable for manicured lawns and that the B version was more suitable for brush and fields (as the Caroni site also states). However, he also confirmed that the B version does an "adequate" job on lawns. Since I have several acres around a farm house that is "rough" lawn, this was perfect for me and avoids spending for both a rotary cutter and a finishing mower.

I have to say I'm pretty excited about trying a flail out and worse case, if I find I'm not happy with the job it does on lawns, is that I have to get a finishing mower and still spent less than what I was going to spend on rotary mower in the first place.

Hope this is helpful,

Dave

/ Let's talk flail mowers #157  
Foozle said:
Hope this is helpful,
Dave
Very much so. Thanks.

A few question if you don't mind. Where is the shipping calculated from? Is Beverly the person to call, is she headquarter located?

TIA.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #158  
davitk said:
?

6011_1JPG.jpg

5f49_1JPG.jpg

AKA hammer knives, an option on my flail and for use on brush.

Actually, those knives are for smooth cutting in grass.
Look on the John Deere site at the 370 flail. It has options for the "Y" knives for brush cutting or these knives for smooth cutting in grass.

My John Deere salesman here completely talked me out of a John Deere flail, thus one of the reasons I am buying a Rears SPF72 K960

disclaimer
Of course, as usual, I could be wrong.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #159  
allen in texas said:
Actually, those knives are for smooth cutting in grass.
Look on the John Deere site at the 370 flail. It has options for the "Y" knives for brush cutting or these knives for smooth cutting in grass.

My John Deere salesman here completely talked me out of a John Deere flail, thus one of the reasons I am buying a Rears SPF72 K960

disclaimer
Of course, as usual, I could be wrong.

What do I know, I'm a noob :rolleyes:

Here's how my dealer's site describes them:

Brush Blade Kit for Flail Mower EF175 (Mulching)

/ Let's talk flail mowers #160  
sunspot said:
Very much so. Thanks.

A few question if you don't mind. Where is the shipping calculated from? Is Beverly the person to call, is she headquarter located?

TIA.

No problem. The $121 shipping is from Garner, NC to Piedmont, SC. Beverly is the person to call if you want to order one and also ask about the shipping cost. She is located in the headquarters in Garner, NC.

Dave