Flail Mower Let's talk flail mowers

/ Let's talk flail mowers #161  
Foozle said:
Ok, I pulled the trigger on a Caroni today, but will have to wait several weeks as I requested a new one, rather than one that has been sitting outside for a few months. The cost was $1,695.95, plus $121 shipping to South Carolina.

I thought I'd post all the info I learned to save people some time. First, I called several of the Agri-Supply stores and the people I spoke to there weren't over knowledgeable about the product, but they did say they only sold 1 or 2 a year (of the 73" at least), and the one they had in stock had been sitting outside for a while. Each of the seven store locations had exactly 1 TM1900BSC in stock, except the VA location which did not have one. Note that they also carry 36", 47", and 59" models (some may also have the A or F rotors, not certain). Here are the locations and telephone numbers (and number in stock as of today of the 73"):

Petersburg, VA - 800-551-0415 (zero)
Lumberton, NC - 800-277-0062 (1)
Florence, SC - 800-342-1294 (1)
Tifton, GA - 800-833-1458 (1)
Stateshouse, GA - 800-354-1989 (1)
Garner, NC 800-662-1873 (1)
Greenville, NC - 800-445-6814 (1)

I called Italy and spoke to Caroni headquarters but since their English is not the greatest and my Italian is non-existent, I simply got referred to the U.S. distributor, which was helpful as I got good help from them. I spoke with John Morris (919-772-9722), who referred me to Matt Fitzgerald (919-614-1914). Matt very helpful and provided the product info I was looking for. He also helped me with estimates on delivery times, although he was a bit uncertain himself as he's never sure exactly when shipments will arive from Italy.

Matt said they had about 28 TM1900BSCs on order and expected them sometime between April 26 and June 15. He referred me to the Sales person (Beverly at 800-345-0169). I spoke to Beverly and ordered a TM1900BSC (Agri-Supply part number you should give them is 30837, if you want the 73" one with B-rotor). They can special order anything you want from the Caroni line, so if you want the A or F rotor, you can get it, but will likely take several months for delivery. Caroni web site, as previously posted, is:

Caroni S.p.a.

As to the products use, many others have weighed in previously, but the distributor did confirm that the A or F rotor versions were more suitable for manicured lawns and that the B version was more suitable for brush and fields (as the Caroni site also states). However, he also confirmed that the B version does an "adequate" job on lawns. Since I have several acres around a farm house that is "rough" lawn, this was perfect for me and avoids spending for both a rotary cutter and a finishing mower.

I have to say I'm pretty excited about trying a flail out and worse case, if I find I'm not happy with the job it does on lawns, is that I have to get a finishing mower and still spent less than what I was going to spend on rotary mower in the first place.

Hope this is helpful,

Dave

Very much so it did. i spoke to some of the people and I am thinking about pulling the trigger on one of these later this month. I want to get a little nmore infor about the B as I wonder if you simply use the teeth for finishing instead of the ones for brush/field, will that make the B cut even better? Sounds like it. But how easy is it to switch over?:eek:

/ Let's talk flail mowers #162  
Hey, here's a question, how is the hydraulic shift kit initiated? i.e, if I have a cab tractor what mechanism actuates the side shift mechanism? Is it a control that is already on the tractor? Also what is required at the rear of the tractor with regards to hydraulics to make this work?

/ Let's talk flail mowers #163  
Nuru said:
Hey, here's a question, how is the hydraulic shift kit initiated? i.e, if I have a cab tractor what mechanism actuates the side shift mechanism? Is it a control that is already on the tractor? Also what is required at the rear of the tractor with regards to hydraulics to make this work?

It runs off your rear remote which is controllable from your seat. If you don't have at least one set of rear remotes you'd have to add that (cost varies from a few hundred to about six hundred by some dealer/brand combos).

/ Let's talk flail mowers #164  
allen in texas said:
I like this thread. :)
I studied, researched, called, haggled, hammered,, kicked, screamed, stomped, fussed, fought, threw things.
I looked at Rears, Befco, Landpride, Vrisimo, Gearmore, John Deere and a bunch more I can't remember and decided...

I'm buying a Rears SPF 72 inch with the FL 940 knives.
I'm working on shipping now.

Kinda high, over $4000, but I made my decision.
Is anybody in touch with Allen? Iv done a recent PM and eMail to him but no response yet. The reason Im reaching out like this is that my formal quote for a Rears 5' w hyd sideshift and FL940 knives came in way high [$5900 delivered] over the verbal quote [$4500] given 2wks earlier. Id like to get in touch with his source quick. Mucho thanks.
larry

/ Let's talk flail mowers #165  
SPYDERLK said:
Is anybody in touch with Allen? Iv done a recent PM and eMail to him but no response yet. The reason Im reaching out like this is that my formal quote for a Rears 5' w hyd sideshift and FL940 knives came in way high [$5900 delivered] over the verbal quote [$4500] given 2wks earlier. Id like to get in touch with his source quick. Mucho thanks.
larry

Here I is! :)

I replied to your email.
I still haven't placed my order yet. Like I said in my email...
shipping issues. :mad:

I'm also teetering between the 940 knives and the 960's

/ Let's talk flail mowers #166  
My preliminary Purchase Order for a Caroni TM1900B has been given a tentative approval by the department head (SWMBO).:D

I may have to provide a Certificate of Need. As warm weather with an adequate rain has been in the area, the CON will be the height and thickness of the pasture.

I did receive a verbal memo inquiring about the use of a 2 bottom plow and a new tandem disc harrow that has not been used as of yet.
I have added plowing to my Event Calendar dated 04/19/2008. Wish me luck, I've never plowed before.:eek:

/ Let's talk flail mowers #167  
I rarely consider the height of what I cut with the TM1900B. A few times I have made a second pass to clean up the cut. This was when the stuff was nearly as tall as the tractor wheels. As long as the thickness is less than 2" I just mow over it. Some times even that doesn't stop me although it is noisy'

Right now the wildflowers are blooming so I am prohibited from mowing. About another month I will go after it and you can imagine how tall some of it will be then. We have had adequate rain this year and everything is taking advantage of it.

The gist of this is that I don't think the height of what is to be cut is much of a problem plus I don't consider a second pass a burden when I don't get a clean cut the first time. Some really tall 4-5' stuff I will back over for about 3' then cut forward. Do this a few times and the problem is solved.

Vernon

/ Let's talk flail mowers #168  
IslandTractor said:
It runs off your rear remote which is controllable from your seat. If you don't have at least one set of rear remotes you'd have to add that (cost varies from a few hundred to about six hundred by some dealer/brand combos).

Thanks Island!

/ Let's talk flail mowers #169  
Ive been mowing Lantana for a property owner the last 3 days . He asked me to do 1 day just cutting tracks through the jungle so he could get in with the spray gear . After he saw me making it look like park land he wanted me to spend another day . Im now on my third day and he wants more . The Lantana was so tall he said all he could see of me was the revolving light going through the field . He is simply amazed at the finished product , he said his ride on mower does not do as good a job lawns . He said , where does all the material go ? I said its like a big juice extractor , most of it gets turned to spray and the rest is smaller than chaff and as it leaves no winrows is eavenly spread by the roller . It's costing him $1100 a day , but as he said it's cheap as he would have spent that on spray and the results were unknown not to mention that it would just sit there for ever until it rotted away . But as we all know that while your waiting for it to do that a new crop of weeds is being established . I woud say he has about 4 weeks work for me to do . I'll try and get some pics to post .

/ Let's talk flail mowers #170  
Definitely want to see those pics!