Lifespan of Trailer Tires

/ Lifespan of Trailer Tires #71  
Beg everyone's pardon if somebody already offered this info, since I didn't read every post, but I was told that although sunlight, heat and every other insult that has been mentioned in this thread cause tire problems, ozone in the air is a problem for rubber and tire fabrics, too. If you can get years of trouble free service from older tires, great, but I wouldn't count on it. I had some winter tires for our Passat wagon, hardly used, stored on steel wheels in the barn 9 months every year, and after 10 years, with almost all their tread on them, they were garbage. Certainly not over weighted or over speeded, just rotted from the vapors in the air. (no animals in the barn, save mice and the occasional cat.)

/ Lifespan of Trailer Tires #72  
In the 70's I worked at a parts and restoration shop for antique cars...

My boss bought a military lot of new/never used WWII 16" tires like the kind that went on jeeps and their trailers...

These tires were over 30 years old and not a bad one in the lot and I know several that are still being used today and that would make them close to 70 years old...

I'm 100% confident long lasting/aging tires can be made because we have made them in the past.

Down at the national guard armory there is a row of 6x6 trucks from the end of Viet Nam and they still have 40 year old tires on them... probably always will.

No telling how many times the carcasses at the tire recapper across the street from where I worked were recycled...

The family 35hp "Ski" boat from 1958 still sports the 1958 15" wide white Goodyear tires on the trailer 54 years...

The problems with tires today have to be with the way the tires are being made... just an inferior product in many cases.

/ Lifespan of Trailer Tires #73  
I'm 100% confident long lasting/aging tires can be made because we have made them in the past.

The problems with tires today have to be with the way the tires are being made... just an inferior product in many cases.

Blame clean air and the EPA....

Chris

/ Lifespan of Trailer Tires #74  
Slime is just one of many brands of stuff to put in tires to stop them from leaking, and my experience has been that there really isn't a single one of them worth buying. When I was a fleet manager, I was given some other brands to try in my own tires, and I doubt that I'll ever waste money buying another one.

I have used High Lifter ATV Tire sealant with great results in ATV and mower tires- Much better than Slime, but I'm not sure how it would perform in other tires.

/ Lifespan of Trailer Tires #75  
09-08-12 013 - Copy (2).JPG

This is the original spare tire on our utility trailer, bought in 1994. Never been on the ground. 0 miles. Blew up last summer, while attached to the front wall of the trailer. Goodyear Marathon.

/ Lifespan of Trailer Tires #76  
My cargo trailer, which I use for work daily, was about 18 months old with approximaely 20-25 k miles on it. The tire tread was seperating between the treads. Those tires were always aired up to 50 psi(side wall rating) and never overloaded. So i guess I will be replacing those often.

/ Lifespan of Trailer Tires #77  
Everything said on here based on my experience is spot on...
My fifth wheel camper tires are ST's and in my experience the heat and speed are what kills them in addition to sun degradation...
If I would get a newer camper I would install LT's if possible but that would require a trailer with 16 " rims...

Bought a fifth whl 29' camper and it had Carlisle 1st. tire went out at 350 miles camper almost empty. 2nd tire next day.Bought replacements
at farm tire store they pointed out 3rd tire had a potato sized knot in side. had the remaining 2 Carlisles removed and hole cut in side wall to prevent some one else form using .Dealer explained to me the tires were warrienty to 1st. owner even new I was the 2nd.
couple of years later looked at new camper had Carlisles told dealer would not trade with someone that had such little reguard for owners on pulling campers on the highways.
Michliens doesn't make tires for r.v.campers .
Have not had problems with Towmax tires.
ken

/ Lifespan of Trailer Tires
I recall reading about a fellow who got a pair of 2nd hand never used front tires for his BX. The bead wires came undone when he had them mounted. Carlisle sent him new tires.

Dealer explained to me the tires were warrienty to 1st. owner even new I was the 2nd.

I would have contacted Carlisle directly as the above does not sound right. Note that I am not a big fan of their tires but still.

/ Lifespan of Trailer Tires #79  
I recall reading about a fellow who got a pair of 2nd hand never used front tires for his BX. The bead wires came undone when he had them mounted. Carlisle sent him new tires.

I would have contacted Carlisle directly as the above does not sound right. Note that I am not a big fan of their tires but still.

Being in the trailer business I hate Carlisle. Pure junk. I had a new tri-axle 18K trailer bought in Nov 2004. By August the next year I had lost 3 tires. 2 more were bad when replaced. I keep the spare and it too failed a few years later not even touching the ground.

The trailer was 18K but never loaded beyond 15,600#.

I bet I have seen this 30 to 50 times with Carlisle Tires. Goodyear Marathon's are not much better.

Chris

/ Lifespan of Trailer Tires #80  
I am extremely biased against Goodyear tires of any kind. Bought F350 new, First tire developed a separation at 6 months, took to GY dealer, replacement warranty prorated cost to me was about $100, tire looked superb to me but dealer measured where separation was, thus wear there. Each of the other tires developed separation way too early in their life, including spare. Never went back to GY dealer. Knew their warranty was useless to me.

My recollection, perhaps faulty but I don't think so, is it was Goodyear tires that blew out on SUV's causing rollovers and law suits. Out of that came the TPMS system we all love.

I recall reading at the time that during manufacture GY employees were directed to "pop" air bubbles between layers of cords with an ice pick to maintain manufacturing volume.

Goodyear tires?:thumbdown: Not if you want to have a good year:2cents: