Lifespan of Trailer Tires

/ Lifespan of Trailer Tires #81  
I am extremely biased against Goodyear tires of any kind. Bought F350 new, First tire developed a separation at 6 months, took to GY dealer, replacement warranty prorated cost to me was about $100, tire looked superb to me but dealer measured where separation was, thus wear there. Each of the other tires developed separation way too early in their life, including spare. Never went back to GY dealer. Knew their warranty was useless to me.

My recollection, perhaps faulty but I don't think so, is it was Goodyear tires that blew out on SUV's causing rollovers and law suits. Out of that came the TPMS system we all love.

I recall reading at the time that during manufacture GY employees were directed to "pop" air bubbles between layers of cords with an ice pick to maintain manufacturing volume.

Goodyear tires?:thumbdown: Not if you want to have a good year:2cents:

Thought with Ford Exloders that was Firestone that had the issues but that was due to Ford saying to run a lower air pressure, but perhaps you are referring to a different incident.

/ Lifespan of Trailer Tires #82  
I have the same feelings about goodyears junk tractor tires. Over the years we have bought 3 combines, 4 dual wheel tractors, and 3 single wheel tractors that had goodyear rear tires on them. Thats 30 tires total. Every single one of them developed splits in the side and had to be replaced long before the lugs wore out. For this reason i will never buy a goodyear tire unless it comes on whatever tractor or auto or trailer that i may buy, but i will know that i will have to replace the tires long before they wear out.

/ Lifespan of Trailer Tires #83  
My recollection, perhaps faulty but I don't think so, is it was Goodyear tires that blew out on SUV's causing rollovers and law suits. Out of that came the TPMS system we all love.

Yep, I do believe you are thinking of Firestone instead of Goodyear. I had good luck in the past with Goodyear, but haven't had any of their tires now in more than 20 years, so they've undoubtedly changed a bit.:laughing:

And if you go way back in years . . . in 1956 my Dad bought a Texaco service station. Back then Texaco stations usually handled Firestone tires, but Dad would not use, buy, or sell a Firestone. We had a lot of people come in that summer looking for warranty on Firestone tires, and we'd just tell them we didn't handle Firestones.

Later, after we sold that station and bought a Mobil station, I had a guy come in one day with two almost new Firestone tires with big bubbles on them. He bought 2 new tires of another brand from me, and I told him that he needed to go get warranty on those Firestones. He said he wasn't interested; just wanted to be rid of Firestones. They happened to be the right size to fit my car, so I took them to a Firestone dealer, got 2 new ones for almost nothing, and had no problem with them on my own car.:laughing:

/ Lifespan of Trailer Tires #84  
OK, my bad recollection, Firestone tires were the rollover tires.

Anyway, Goodyear is still on my black list.

/ Lifespan of Trailer Tires
Wondering if anyone has anything to say about michelin trailer tires. I used to their tires and sears tires made by them on my pickups.

/ Lifespan of Trailer Tires #86  
earlier in this thread are numerous testamonials, mine included, with many positive things to say regarding Michelin tires

I just bought 4 for family van. Generally regarded as pricy but top if not the best tire you can buy...USA made

/ Lifespan of Trailer Tires #87  
Couple of questions on this topic, related to a 10k trailer, date of manufacture 7/2010. Did a quick search on the tire/date code and found info on 4 number date code, and cannot locate this on tires, checked both sides of tire, but did not rotate to get 100% view of inside tire sidewalls - all I can see is 'DOT OULCJF.' For now will assume date of manufacture on the tires at Jan 2010 and replace this winter. Existing tires are Provider ST Radial, ST225/75R15, load range D (2540 lbs/tire), made in china. After reading this info, think I will be replacing at 4 years. Recently towed a 20k 5th wheel rv from Florida to Indiana and had some tire trouble - let's just say it wasn't fun...

Questions:
- Any benefit to going to load range E? Looks like they're available, rated at 2830 lbs each. Trailer doesn't always see 10k total, more like 6-8 most of the time. Won't say it's never overloaded, but it's rare and only done for short rural runs.
- Recommended manufacturers - other than Carlisle or Goodyear? Does Michelin make a trailer tire?
- Are 'Loadstar Provider' and 'Provider' same manufacturer? Tires on this trailer are marked 'Provider' only

Thanks
Greg

/ Lifespan of Trailer Tires #88  
I always get load range E tires when purchasing for a vehicle that will be heavy loaded and traveling at highway speeds and hot weather. Ones I just bought were rated at 3045lbs each.

Find the Right Tire Width with Michelin's Mobile Tire Finder

Their site does not list trailer tires as a category. I'd just buy properly sized load range E light truck tires... the comments/experiences on this thread argue for using the best tires you can find to avoid tire problems while on the road, which are inconvient, expensive and time consuming.

/ Lifespan of Trailer Tires #89  
Never seen a Michelin Trailer tire in my 20 pkus years servicing trailers.

Our favorite brand is Green Ball. Thow Towmasters are by far the best trailer tires on the market.

Maxxis is second best. Radial ST or something like that. Gladiator radials are just as good.

Radials only. I will not touch a Bias tire.

Chris

/ Lifespan of Trailer Tires #90  
Never seen a Michelin Trailer tire in my 20 pkus years servicing trailers.

Our favorite brand is Green Ball. Thow Towmasters are by far the best trailer tires on the market.

Maxxis is second best. Radial ST or something like that. Gladiator radials are just as good.

Radials only. I will not touch a Bias tire.

Chris

In my search for reviews I haven't found much on Maxxis, but what I did find was all positive. Green Ball reviews were much more plentiful, and mixed, just like GY and others.