lifting the MMM with the FEL for maintenance

/ lifting the MMM with the FEL for maintenance #1  

wickman

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD2210
Hello all,

I've owned my little JD2210 for many years and it does a great job at what I ask it to do. It mows well and the FEL works great (although it's a little slow). A few times a year I lash the MMM to the FEL with one of those big yellow cargo straps and hoist it up and then perpendicular to the ground for blade sharpening and scraping. All has worked fairly well until yesterday when the strap slipped and I came about an inch from dumping the MMM on the concrete from about 5 feet up. I got it down in time so all is well but it got me thinking about my MMM hoisting process. I probably could do it better and safer. I like using the FEL since I can get it up in the air and get good access to the underside. Does anyone else lift their MMM in this manner? If so how do you mount it to the FEL?

Thanks,
Eric

/ lifting the MMM with the FEL for maintenance #2  
I do the same thing with my 600# RFM. I lift it with the the FEL and work on the underside. Nylon straps have their place. But not when my life depends on it. I pick my RFM up with chains.

/ lifting the MMM with the FEL for maintenance #3  
At least secure it so that it cannot slip. That shouldn't be too difficult to figure out, and your safety depends on it. Just remember that the FEL can accidentally drop if a hose breaks. So lifting and then chaining or strapping to a stout tree limb may help make it safer.

I do as you do, and lift my rotary cutter and mmm's with the FEL.

/ lifting the MMM with the FEL for maintenance #4  
Only thing I see wrong in your approach is the 5 ft in the air part. Only raise it enough to upright it. Yes, you have to bend over further, but you can't get caught under it either.

/ lifting the MMM with the FEL for maintenance #5  
Only thing I see wrong in your approach is the 5 ft in the air part. Only raise it enough to upright it. Yes, you have to bend over further, but you can't get caught under it either.

Ditto......... I also cut two 2x4's to equal length about 75 to 80 inches and prop up each side of the fel for insurance against falling --- one end of 2x4 against each front tire and the other end just fits nicely against the fel on each side. Then sit on a mechanic's stool and go to work.

/ lifting the MMM with the FEL for maintenance #6  
Here is my solution: I use it for both moving the mower and working on it. Very solid. Made from stuff from the scrap pile. It uses the same mounting points as the mower. I like the fact that I can tilt the deck. ... except down.

Attachments

• 163250d1272296161-72-mmm-dang-its-heavy-62ccarrier1.jpg
    163250d1272296161-72-mmm-dang-its-heavy-62ccarrier1.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 340
  • 163251d1272296161-72-mmm-dang-its-heavy-62ccarrier.jpg
    163251d1272296161-72-mmm-dang-its-heavy-62ccarrier.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 281
   / lifting the MMM with the FEL for maintenance #7  
I made my own mower stand axles that I put them on anytime I work on it.. it only take a couple minutes to put them on/off. I just never felt safe with it hanging in the air to work on..

Also by being on the ground I could get better leverage for tightening the blade nuts..

Brian

/ lifting the MMM with the FEL for maintenance #8  
I don't work under any implement if it can be avoided in any way.

With the RFM and cutter, I lift from the shortest side (RFMs are wider then long...cutters are longer then wide) and prop against the bucket with the implement both on the ground and leaning away from me (use an old tire to cushion and prevent damage).
Now, I haven't had to access both top and bottom of an implement to work on it (yet), but for blade removal and deck cleaning, the method I use is safe and gives you an avenue for escape, just in case.

/ lifting the MMM with the FEL for maintenance #9  
Man.....I would not work under a strap OR chain supported load!...especially when held up by a loader!! :confused2: Sooner or later that will get you hurt....or worse. Same for any loader supported device....too many possibilities to go wrong IMO. Hanging weight, and working under it?....not the right way to do things without GOOD support.

I have picked up my RC with the loader and put it on end against a tree....and supported by the ground and a chain around the tree. Much safer IMO.

/ lifting the MMM with the FEL for maintenance #10  
I take my deck off in the yard,and muscle it up against a tree.:)

Greg