Linux PC builders, a new build

/ Linux PC builders, a new build #1  

Raul-02

Veteran Member
the armpit of the entire universe New Jersey
Tractor
kioti DK4710 SE HST CAB
I am building a new PC My Asus x79 Deluxe is starting to fail These (infra) components are what I've chosen:

MOBO: ASUS ROG Strix Z690-E Gaming WiFi 6E LGA 1700(Intel 12th Gen)ATX
https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-ROG-Gam...ics&sprefix=asus+z960+,electronics,104&sr=1-2

CPU: Intel core i912900 K Alder Lake Gen 12 Intel Core i9-12900K Desktop Processor 16 (8P+8E) Cores up to 5.2 GHz Unlocked LGA1700 600 Series Chipset 125W

Memory: 64GIG ddr5-44 ram Corsair or Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB (2x 32GB) DDR4 3200(PC4-25600) C161.35V Desktop Memory -Black
Graphics:
NVIDIA - GeForce GTX 970 4GB GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 Graphics Card …
Cooling:
NZXT Kraken X53 240mm - RL-KRX53-01 - AIO RGB CPU Liquid Cooler - Rotating Infinity Mirror Design - Improved Pump-Powered By CAM V4-RGB Connector-Aer P 120mm Radiator Fans (2 Included), Black, X Gen 3
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro TG PH-ES614PTG_BK Integrated RGB Lighting Control Tempered Glass Side Panel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Black
This setup that I am going with is the exact same MOBO & CPU that Phoronix used to benchmark Linux versus Win 11 and found that Linux runs better and faster on this ASUS and Intel chip. They used Corsair DDR5 memory I don't see a reason to spend that much for pretty much zero return. I'll go with DDR4.

As for the Wi Fi Driver I was concerned but it is supported in Linux Search results for 'AX210'

/ Linux PC builders, a new build #2  
What distro are ya planning on using?

/ Linux PC builders, a new build #3  
I would go with Gentoo and build up from the kernel...

/ Linux PC builders, a new build
'm assuming SSD for hard drive.
nope. I have had fabulous luck with enterprise class western dihgital.
I know how SSDs work. They are little more than a whole lot of Flash drives in an array. Not mind you that that is bad, but I've had too many flash drives go bad to trust the tech just yet. I'll give it another 5 or 10 years.
I had a technology professor who would frequently pitch the refrain that "pioneers get scalped."

The way SSD works is fascinating. It's sort of like how activated carbon captures contaminants. There are zillions of little pores and the data gets stored down any of those zillion little gopher holes. They are limited use so eventually, they can all get used up, but that'd take a very long while.
Haven't a clue how they sort out MBR or allocation tables.

/ Linux PC builders, a new build #8  
What is the ultimate end purpose of the machine? Gaming?
I have used Linux for NAS and streaming, and always liked that I could use older HW and get some decent performance.
Sounds like you are building a screamer.

/ Linux PC builders, a new build #9  
ubuntu= "LINUX for dummies"

It's OK if you like the Debian repositories...

/ Linux PC builders, a new build #10  
You are going to put a spin drive in a new build..... NO ONE DOES THAT ANYMORE. :) PCI-e SSDs are the dope. :)

Ubuntu is just too pure for me. They are the last hold outs to true FOSS.