Liquid Fertilizer application

/ Liquid Fertilizer application #11  
I would do away with the press wheels. Just leave it open. You wont lose hardly any of your N-sol to evaporation. We used two rigs to apply iiquid fert. One with knife openers for conventional tillage applications and another that just drags the hoses on the ground in no-till conditiins.

/ Liquid Fertilizer application
I would do away with the press wheels. Just leave it open. You wont lose hardly any of your N-sol to evaporation. We used two rigs to apply iiquid fert. One with knife openers for conventional tillage applications and another that just drags the hoses on the ground in no-till conditiins.

Thanks for the advise. What brand are your knife openers?

/ Liquid Fertilizer application #13  
Atermarket from shoup manufacturing. The are the swept back type that dont penetrate very deep.

Atermarket from shoup manufacturing. The are the swept back type that dont penetrate very deep.

Thanks for the info ... they have a nice web site. So, the swept back type basicly cuts its own trench for the fertilize

/ Liquid Fertilizer application #15  
Yes but your opener design should work much better. Weeds and roots have a tendency to build up on a knife opener and after enough builds up you will start knocking down crops in a sidedress application. Stick with what you have, just dont worry about evaporation losses. N-sol is very stable with low volitility.

Yes but your opener design should work much better. Weeds and roots have a tendency to build up on a knife opener and after enough builds up you will start knocking down crops in a sidedress application. Stick with what you have, just dont worry about evaporation losses. N-sol is very stable with low volitility.

I was thinking when I adapt my system to the cultivator about using the swept back type ... however a little study last night I believe a drag hose will work well on the cultivator.

/ Liquid Fertilizer application #17  
Don't worry about evaporization . They blow it on with floaters up here and plant .I do not understand the double openers .You need single coulter and a knife , or hose to drop it . Okay you are using a drill , forgot that .

/ Liquid Fertilizer application #18  
blueriver, I admire somebody who does all the research, makes up his own mind on what suits him, and then applies his knowledge and expertise in an experiment. I hope it works for you. I use liquid fertilisers only as an extra feed to growing plants - foliar application. I took a lot of convinving before I would even try it, but the general consensus is that about 85% of foliar feeds are absorbed by the plants.

For feeding the soil (which obviously means feeding at least the next crop, and usually later ones too) I still find that granular fertilisers are easier applied. It is a very quick operation and I do it prior to my last deep cultivation before levelling off the seed bed.

I like the fertiliser to be well spread through the soil profile and my reasoning for this is that fertiliser applied and incorporated at a shallow depth when seeding just encourages shallow rooting - all the feed is in the top 3" or 4". Why would the plant want to put out deeper roots? I want my plants to search for deeper nutrients. I want them to open up several feet of depth for subsequent crops. I want to increase the depth of my soil. Just a personal opinion and I would not want to argue the niceties, but it has worked for me in a few different countries.

blueriver, I admire somebody who does all the research, makes up his own mind on what suits him, and then applies his knowledge and expertise in an experiment. I hope it works for you. I use liquid fertilisers only as an extra feed to growing plants - foliar application. I took a lot of convinving before I would even try it, but the general consensus is that about 85% of foliar feeds are absorbed by the plants.

For feeding the soil (which obviously means feeding at least the next crop, and usually later ones too) I still find that granular fertilisers are easier applied. It is a very quick operation and I do it prior to my last deep cultivation before levelling off the seed bed.

I like the fertiliser to be well spread through the soil profile and my reasoning for this is that fertiliser applied and incorporated at a shallow depth when seeding just encourages shallow rooting - all the feed is in the top 3" or 4". Why would the plant want to put out deeper roots? I want my plants to search for deeper nutrients. I want them to open up several feet of depth for subsequent crops. I want to increase the depth of my soil. Just a personal opinion and I would not want to argue the niceties, but it has worked for me in a few different countries.

Thank you sir ... I incorporated my Phosphourus and Potassium into the ground. I choose the side dressing of Nitrogen because I wanted to reduce volatilization of urea and protect the crop from foliar damage.

My soil test calls for 418 lbs to the acre of Nitrogen ... so my plan is to apply 150 at planting, 150 at the 1st cultivation and 150 at lay by ... time will tell.

/ Liquid Fertilizer application #20  
418# of actual nitrogen! I gotta ask what are you planting?