Liquid filled tires

/ Liquid filled tires
Up here in Canada I was quoted $600.00 to fill with beet juice. I don't know if I am actually too heavy now. I need to get the tractor weighed to make sure I am not over my trailer weight capacity and truck license.

Also, I do mow my grass all summer and do not wish to make ruts in the lawn.

Thanks, Cleat

/ Liquid filled tires #12  
Got lots of experts on this thread huh Cleat.... :)

I used windshield washer fluid. Got a smokin deal at the local auto dealership. 180 gallon for $200. Filled to 12 oclock is perfect. I pumped mine in similar to how you did it. Kinda slow but worked fine. And like you,,, locally the tire shops wanted an insane amount of money to add RimGuard.

You'll notice a big difference of the tractor's ability now.

Lastly, didn't realize the myth of straight anti-freeze freezing was still alive??? Guess they better quit storing it in unheated warehouses and hauling it in unheated trucks huh... ;)

/ Liquid filled tires #13  
Got lots of experts on this thread huh Cleat.... :)

I used windshield washer fluid. Got a smokin deal at the local auto dealership. 180 gallon for $200. Filled to 12 oclock is perfect. I pumped mine in similar to how you did it. Kinda slow but worked fine. And like you,,, locally the tire shops wanted an insane amount of money to add RimGuard.

You'll notice a big difference of the tractor's ability now.

Lastly, didn't realize the myth of straight anti-freeze freezing was still alive??? Guess they better quit storing it in unheated warehouses and hauling it in unheated trucks huh... ;)

Sorry to hear that your eyes have gone bad and you can't read anymore, or you just plain chose to ignore post #5.
Please show us your credentials sir.

/ Liquid filled tires #14  
Sorry to hear that your eyes have gone bad and you can't read anymore, or you just plain chose to ignore post #5.
Please show us your credentials sir.

Sorry I ruffled your feathers Bob. But then you obviously didn't read post #1 where he stated he filled to the valve stem at 12 oclock. Last time I looked I had a lot of air space left in my tire when the fluid level is at the stem at 12 oclock. I'm actually unsure how a person could possibly fill the tire 100% with fluid and leave no space for air?? Maybe we need to see your credentials Sir??? :confused: ;)

/ Liquid filled tires #15  
Sorry I ruffled your feathers Bob. But then you obviously didn't read post #1 where he stated he filled to the valve stem at 12 oclock. Last time I looked I had a lot of air space left in my tire when the fluid level is at the stem at 12 oclock. I'm actually unsure how a person could possibly fill the tire 100% with fluid and leave no space for air?? Maybe we need to see your credentials Sir??? :confused: ;)

Licensed Chief Engineer & certified master mechanic with many years of experience and education. And you? Don't be shy now.
When I worked for Cat back in the day we filled 944 & 988 loader tires with a calcium chloride solution to 95%. There are adapters to do it.
Btw, you didn't ruffle my feathers, it was your blatant remark about "the myth of anti-freeze" that caught my eye.

I digress.

/ Liquid filled tires #16  
Got lots of experts on this forum.....Lastly, didn't realize the myth of straight anti-freeze freezing was still alive???
Seems the definition of "expert" is rather loose in your neck of the woods. Freezing temp for undiluted antifreeze intended for use in liquid cooled engines is -12C. It's clearly going to be news to you that adding water - up to a certain dilution point - actually lowers the freezing point. I don't even want to consider opening the discussion to boiling points.

And like the RV fluid, there's nothing wrong with windshield fluid in tires. But where you're shortsighted is in valuing ballast in terms of dollars per gallon.. The real value measurement is dollars per pound. RV antifreeze for the OP cost him a little over 0.41/lb (CDN). My RimGuard cost me less than 0.24/lb (US). That $237 put about 425# in each rear and 75# in each front. You got your WWF for ~0.15/lb. But did you actually confirm the freezing point? Don't for get that summer WWF freezes in the winter

That said, I can't speak to the price of RimGuard in Missouri or Canada. I bought mine in Western Kentucky, less than 50 miles from the MO border..But at least give other folks a little credit for knowing how to to get the most for their money - regardless of where they live

//greg//

Last edited:
   / Liquid filled tires
Sorry to have caused such controversy. I was just happy to have added some ballast to my tractor. Rim guard was too expensive and I was worried about too much weight. WW fluid would have been slightly cheaper but more toxic in case of a leak. Regular glycol antifreeze is really toxic and calcium would quickly destroy my rims and is also hard on vegitation in case of a leak.

I have had no real issues with traction with no liquid ballast but did reqire 4x4 to plow snow and to move the tractor on occasion with a full bucket of oversize rocks.

/ Liquid filled tires #18  
Licensed Chief Engineer & certified master mechanic with many years of experience and education. And you? Don't be shy now.
When I worked for Cat back in the day we filled 944 & 988 loader tires with a calcium chloride solution to 95%. There are adapters to do it.
Btw, you didn't ruffle my feathers, it was your blatant remark about "the myth of anti-freeze" that caught my eye.

I digress.

Again, I apologize for getting you so upset. I don't recall pointing you out by name. I simply commented that this thread gathered a LOT of opinions of varying degree of accuracy. I even used smiley face to lighten the mood. I don't recall the OP mentioning use of any type of adapter when filling his tires and he clearly stated how he filled them. You still commented that the tire might be stressed in some manner by overfilling?? But for some reason it was you that called my statements out as being inaccurate. Then you asked to see my credentials as if that framed paper would make any difference in the facts at all. As for the freezing issue there are several types of antifreeze that each have their own freeze resistance. The type he used will be fine, especially since he also stated that he stores inside.

Again, I'm sorry if I offended you in any way Bob. :):):):):):):):)

/ Liquid filled tires #19  
Seems the definition of "expert" is rather loose in your neck of the woods. Freezing temp for undiluted antifreeze intended for use in liquid cooled engines is -12C. It's clearly going to be news to you that adding water - up to a certain dilution point - actually lowers the freezing point. I don't even want to consider opening the discussion to boiling points.

And like the RV fluid, there's nothing wrong with windshield fluid in tires. But where you're shortsighted is in valuing ballast in terms of dollars per gallon.. The real value measurement is dollars per pound. RV antifreeze for the OP cost him a little over 0.41/lb (CDN). My RimGuard cost me less than 0.24/lb (US). That $237 put about 425# in each rear and 75# in each front. You got your WWF for ~0.15/lb. But did you actually confirm the freezing point? Don't for get that summer WWF freezes in the winter

That said, I can't speak to the price of RimGuard in Missouri or Canada. I bought mine in Western Kentucky, less than 50 miles from the MO border..But at least give other folks a little credit for knowing how to to get the most for their money - regardless of where they live

//greg//

Greg, as I stated to Bob, I was simply stating that there were a lot of varied opinions in this thread. I never gave a definition of expert nor did I claim to be one.

As I said above, the type of antifreeze he used will be fine. You actually stated that in your previous statements as well. Now we can dig around and find a certain antifreeze that will have a lesser degree of protection from freezing but it would be a mute point since we already know what he used. I was referencing that type with my statement about the myth.

As for the discussion of value in "weight gained" versus "gallons bought". I totally agree with you. Also your own numbers prove why it was cheaper for me to use WWF. I gained 1500lbs for $200 US. And as the OP stated his costs were totally prohibitive at his location to use Rimguard as they were in my location.

As for my freezing point, yes, I ordered Winter WWF.

Lastly, I ALWAYS give people credit for EVERYTHING they do and post on here. As I now give the OP credit for taking initiative and finding an economical solution to his problem.

Sometimes we just all need to lean back and read thru the posts a second or even third time before responding. :)

/ Liquid filled tires #20  
Sorry to have caused such controversy. I was just happy to have added some ballast to my tractor. Rim guard was too expensive and I was worried about too much weight. WW fluid would have been slightly cheaper but more toxic in case of a leak. Regular glycol antifreeze is really toxic and calcium would quickly destroy my rims and is also hard on vegitation in case of a leak.

I have had no real issues with traction with no liquid ballast but did reqire 4x4 to plow snow and to move the tractor on occasion with a full bucket of oversize rocks.

You caused no controversy at all. Open discussion and the exchange of ideas has educated us all. Glad you found a solution and I commend you for working it all out in a manner that best serves YOU. :thumbsup: