Liquid filled tires

/ Liquid filled tires #41  
Oh, I was not in any way implying that it was exclusive to or developed by the manufacturers of Chinese tractors. Locking differentials have been utilized in everything from tractors to drag racers for many decades. I was merely noting that it is a good feature and one that many people under utilize.

/ Liquid filled tires #42  
The need for front ballast in the tires or mounted on a front rack would come form the work the tractor was set up to do. If you were pulling heavy drawbar loads without a front end loader mounted you might need front weight to keep the front end down so the front tires could help pull effectively. You owners manual should have a section telling you how and when to add front weight and how to determine the wheel slip to check that you have it right for the implement you are pulling. I plan to leave my FEL on most of the time and at 1500 lbs counting the bucket that is more then enough on the front so have not loaded my front tires.
I'm not singling you out specifically, it's just that there's a small group here that have the wrong impression of tire ballast. What you describe is a function of counterweight balance; three point hitch weighting in the rear, bracket weighting in the front. In both cases, counterweight is outside the axles. The primary function of tire ballast - weight at the axles - is to increase traction.

//greg//

/ Liquid filled tires #43  
I'm not singling you out specifically, it's just that there's a small group here that have the wrong impression of tire ballast. What you describe is a function of counterweight balance; three point hitch weighting in the rear, bracket weighting in the front. In both cases, counterweight is outside the axles. The primary function of tire ballast - weight at the axles - is to increase traction.

//greg//
Scracthing my head here trying to understand your point. Any weight on the front in the tires ,bolted to them or on a front weight rack, or a loader bucket hanging off the front acts as a counter weight to the load on the draw bar as the point of rotation is the rear axle. Obviously a tractor with its front wheels in the air can't help pull the load forward so you need enough weight on the front to keep the wheels on the ground so you can steer and the front wheels can assist if it has four wheel drive. The result of any weight added anywhere on the tractor is to increase traction. Where it is added determines balance and axle load percentages.
I’m not trying to set off an argument here just to discuss the mechanics of it.

/ Liquid filled tires #44  
Scracthing my head here trying to understand your point. Any weight on the front in the tires ,bolted to them or on a front weight rack, or a loader bucket hanging off the front acts as a counter weight to the load on the draw bar as the point of rotation is the rear axle. Obviously a tractor with its front wheels in the air can't help pull the load forward so you need enough weight on the front to keep the wheels on the ground so you can steer and the front wheels can assist if it has four wheel drive. The result of any weight added anywhere on the tractor is to increase traction. Where it is added determines balance and axle load percentages.
I’m not trying to set off an argument here just to discuss the mechanics of it.
Counterweight is beyond the axles. A rear counterweight will lighten the front and increase rear traction ... good for loader work on soft ground or pointing downhill. Counterweights are carried by the axle. Ballast is at the position of the axle but on the wheel - not carried by the axle. Good for adding a lot of weight and traction w/o stressing the rolling chassis as much. Rear ballast is neutral to the front.
larry

/ Liquid filled tires #45  
Counterweight is beyond the axles. A rear counterweight will lighten the front and increase rear traction ... good for loader work on soft ground or pointing downhill. Counterweights are carried by the axle. Ballast is at the position of the axle but on the wheel - not carried by the axle. Good for adding a lot of weight and traction w/o stressing the rolling chassis as much. Rear ballast is neutral to the front.
larry
I think we have reached the point of splitting blonde hairs with a dull axe. And I'm going to leave it rest.