Load in Truck vs Load on Trailer

/ Load in Truck vs Load on Trailer
I would agree with the majority here.
I own a 16' twin axle car/equipment trailer, and a 30' gooseneck. If I'm hauling something, if I can fit it on the 16' that's what I'm using. Anything more, onto the gooseneck.
Loading everything on the trailer would be much easier loading/unloading IMO. Just balance the load to put some weight on the hitch.
While goosenecks are great, I would think a bit overkill for your situation, and more $$$ to purchase.

Good luck!
The reason I mentioned "maybe" a gooseneck is if I were to go with a larger trailer to carry the 5,000 lbs and not be using a little trailer with some of the pallets in the truck bed, then I may want to just move up to a trailer that could also carry some of the equipment I have.

The heaviest tractor I own is a NH TD75D FWD with a ROPS(no cab). It has a NH loader mounted about half the time and the rear tires are filled with calcium solution. I'm thinking that package goes around 9K lbs.

I see you can get "car hauler" types built up to 14K, even 16K, and the lower height is appealing. I could deal with loading and unloading the pallets between the fenders but my concern would be that the rear tractor tires which are set at 68" center-to center probably wouldn't clear the fenders. The ideal solution would probably be 2 trailers like scoutcub has, but for now I have to start somewheres.

/ Load in Truck vs Load on Trailer #33  
I have too many trailers. They are a PITA to park, maintain, inspect unless you live on a lot of acreage. Most of my farm customers have no trouble allowing me to store equipment on their property, but I have to consolidate into 1 trailer to go along with my 20 ton. Probably going to be a G/N to pull behind a duallie.

3n33k63l75Y65Z35U6b17c62b32e7139d18be.jpg

My 18K tilt was a great trailer for the Kubota, but too small for the LB115. I need the max G/N I can get for the duallie and my 20 ton for the Backhoe and anything bigger I rent.

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2474350880060323780dbFOdj

/ Load in Truck vs Load on Trailer #34  
That and a 4R100 transmission. ;)

Yes that would work fine as well.:thumbsup:

I have too many trailers. They are a PITA to park, maintain, inspect unless you live on a lot of acreage. Most of my farm customers have no trouble allowing me to store equipment on their property, but I have to consolidate into 1 trailer to go along with my 20 ton. Probably going to be a G/N to pull behind a duallie.

3n33k63l75Y65Z35U6b17c62b32e7139d18be.jpg

My 18K tilt was a great trailer for the Kubota, but too small for the LB115. I need the max G/N I can get for the duallie and my 20 ton for the Backhoe and anything bigger I rent.

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2474350880060323780dbFOdj

Thanks for the update. :confused:

/ Load in Truck vs Load on Trailer #35  
I see you can get "car hauler" types built up to 14K, even 16K, and the lower height is appealing. I could deal with loading and unloading the pallets between the fenders but my concern would be that the rear tractor tires which are set at 68" center-to center probably wouldn't clear the fenders. The ideal solution would probably be 2 trailers like scoutcub has, but for now I have to start somewheres.[/QUOTE]

Proper load distribution would probably have the rear tires behind the fenders, but you would have to try loading and towing to be sure. It can get scarey/dangerous in a hurry if the load is too far to the rear.

/ Load in Truck vs Load on Trailer #37  
I see you can get "car hauler" types built up to 14K, even 16K, and the lower height is appealing. I could deal with loading and unloading the pallets between the fenders but my concern would be that the rear tractor tires which are set at 68" center-to center probably wouldn't clear the fenders. The ideal solution would probably be 2 trailers like scoutcub has, but for now I have to start somewheres
Proper load distribution would probably have the rear tires behind the fenders, but you would have to try loading and towing to be sure. It can get scarey/dangerous in a hurry if the load is too far to the rear.

What is the width you're seeing between fenders on the trailer(s) you like?

/ Load in Truck vs Load on Trailer
What is the width you're seeing between fenders on the trailer(s) you like?
OK, I looked at a 14K Bri-Mar low-profile on a local lot. It measured 83" between the fenders although the specs in the brochure say 81" deck. For the 83" you would be driving the edge of tractor tires right along the top of the side rails. Most of the printed specs I've seen for other makes range 80-83".

The rear tires on my tractor are 16.9's so I think it would be a tight fit, if it goes at all. Is it any more dangerous to have a machine loaded right to the trailer edges? I guess it shouldn't be if everything is chained properly but on the other hand it would be nice to have a few inches to spare on either side. I guess I'll seriously have to consider a deck-over but then about $1k more, 10 inches higher, but for some reason the weights appear to be about the same or even lighter for the deckover which I don't understand.

One thing I noticed in the Bri-Mar specs is that the 20' low-pro uses a 7" channel main frame wheras the 20' deckover has 6" channel frame; maybe they do that to keep the height down and use a heavier channel, but then maybe that's why the deckover is a little lighter weight? Their deckover has the option of going to a 16K package with 8K axles but then they use a 6" tube main frame. Would the box frame be more prone to rusting out? I don't remember seeing too many box frames on this type of trailer, usually channel or I-beam, but again maybe the box allows them to keep it an inch lower. The salesperson was telling me I could go with a straight hitch if I installed a wd hitch on the 3500.

Last edited:
   / Load in Truck vs Load on Trailer #39  
I usually creep around the Kaufman trailers website to see what builds cost what.

Box is likely to make trailer lower. Box is worse in terms of corrosion if it sees a lot of salt.

Yes a 1 ton can tow that kind of bumper pull trailer with a WD hitch. Many pull that load without the WD hitch but not a good idea.

/ Load in Truck vs Load on Trailer #40  
I have trailers built out of box and then others built out of C channel and other structural steel. The best answer I got from a trailer manufacture was you never seen a sky scraper built out of box? Its for finish work. While angle, C, I, ect is structural.

That being said the C channel and I beam trialers I have owned seem to hold up much better than the box rail trailers. The finish is not as good but the paint holds up much better.

Chris