Ballast Loaded Tires VS Ballast Box

/ Loaded Tires VS Ballast Box #1  

Derekg34

Tractor
Kubota BX2230
I recently purchased a Kubota BX2230 with FEL and 54''MMM. I also bought a ballast box. I am wondering if loaded tires would be better than the ballast box. OR... Should I load the tires and use the ballast box? Thanks.

/ Loaded Tires VS Ballast Box #2  
Congratulations on your tractor purchase - that is a nice one you just got.

I do the loaded tire thing - more weight more gooder. Pretty much all the stuff I use my tractor for precluded the use of a balast box so I've never thought about one.

I'd say that the loaded tires w/o ballast box would not be a good solution if you're doing just FEL but with no implement on the back. The only thing that comes to mind where you'd do that would be if you were loading or moving a bunch of gravel, say. But in that scenario you have to have a weight on the back to counterbalance the FEL and just having loaded tires would be dangerous without a ballast box.

Be curious what you're going to be using it for?

/ Loaded Tires VS Ballast Box #3  
Derek,

A lot has to do with what you use your tractor for and where you live. There are times here in Maine during mud season I am looking to tie helium balloons to my tractor so I don't rip this place apart. Then there are time I just mount the BH for no other reason than to counter balance the FEL.

I have not loaded my tires and I don't think I will, but there are time when I just don't have enough ballast. It all depends on what you need.

Hope this is of some help,

Gary

/ Loaded Tires VS Ballast Box
In the summer season, I will be using it to mow about 2.5 acres of mostly hills. It will also be used for spreading mulch, gravel, etc. In winter, I want to get a plow and I may need to upgrade from turfs to ags for snow removal. The only reason I am considering loading the tires is because I can't use the ballast box while mowing...(and I don't want to be taking it off and on all the time). Thanks

/ Loaded Tires VS Ballast Box #5  
Derek,

If you feel you need for "full time weight" then by all means go for the filled tires, it is your best option. Another option is wheel weights. At least you can take them off if you are finding you are ripping up your turf.

I run R4's and I have to tip toe through my lawn (but I am much heavier then you are), Ag's will really do a number on your grass, even with your BX.

It is all a trade off. I like the option of being able to remove the weight if possible.

Good luck,

Gary

/ Loaded Tires VS Ballast Box #6  
You will not need loaded tires or any ballast for mowing. I mow steep hillsides without problem and I have no extra weight on the backend.

John

/ Loaded Tires VS Ballast Box #7  
Loaded tires will have a lower center of gravity than a suspended weight. Tire weights would be second to filled tires.

/ Loaded Tires VS Ballast Box #8  
I use both loaded and ballast box for my rig. In the winter, the ballast box never comes off the tractor so that I always have traction for either plowing and or snowblowing. Currently using Ag tires. When mowing I do not use the box and wait until the grass is dry before starting to mow

/ Loaded Tires VS Ballast Box #9  
I have loaded tires and when I'm doing loader work expecting to fill the bucket, I put on my BB. It's a bad feeling when you try to pick something up and the rearend bounces!

I vote both........ /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Loaded Tires VS Ballast Box #10  
I cannot imagine loaded tires on a BX adding enough weight to be worth the effort. I suspect your talking very few gallons in the rear tires when filled to the top of the rim. I have a L3830 and each rear tire holds about 600 lbs of water. Enough to make a difference and enough to make going up hill while mowing more work on the engine. My tires are not ballasted. My traction is fine.