Ballast Loaded Tires VS Ballast Box

/ Loaded Tires VS Ballast Box #11  
Instead of Ag tires you may want to consider a compromise tire like the new tires they're putting on the JD x5xx or Simplicity Legacy. They're the same size but the tires have larger lugs, kind look like a truck type snow tire. I think there called "field trax".

I'm for loading the tire, I'll probably do that for mine this winter so I don't have to put on the wheel weights.

/ Loaded Tires VS Ballast Box #12  
The loaded tires will add as much as 123lbs per sideaccording to the manual (my BX1500 shares the same manual) depending on concentration of Calcium.
I'd use either anti freeze or Rimguard (even heavier than Calcium) The big advantage is that it's so low that it keeps your center of gravity down compared to weight elsewhere.

It will help keep the uphill tire on the ground when you try doing things you shouldn't, but sometimes have no choice, like carrying loads in the FEL going down hill, then turning while still on the hill.

When using the FEL the ballast box should also be used. I usually fill my rear tires within a couple days of getting a new tractor. The tires affect more of the side to side stability while the Ballast affects more of the front to rear stability.

I don't have a loader on my BX, but on my L3010 I would rate the loader as somewhere between vicious and flat out TFD (too f'n dangerous) without tires loaded or ballast, with tires loaded and no ballast I would call it a little touchy with heavy loads. With both, a little kid could run it with supervision.

/ Loaded Tires VS Ballast Box #13  
Here's a question for the more experienced - aside from the 'seat-of-the-pants feel, is there a simple 'rule-of-thumb' percentage when determining tire or box ballast based on FEL capacity? I.e, tire ballast weight should = 75% of FEL breakout weight, or box ballast weight should = 120% of FEL weight capacity at pivot? I don't think I've ever seen one.

/ Loaded Tires VS Ballast Box #14  
Mine were not ballasted either....with great traction.

The extra weight on a BX doesn't seem like it would be worth the soil compaction when mowing. I was thinking weight box when needed would be the best option.

/ Loaded Tires VS Ballast Box
Thanks for all the info everybody. I think I am going to use the ballast box I already bought. It will be put on whenever I use the loader or plow snow, that way for mowing my tire aren't loaded. I may load them in the future if needed.
Thanks Again

/ Loaded Tires VS Ballast Box #16  
Dholly,

I don't know what Kubota Corp. would want, but my old Ford data shows a MINIMUM of 3600 pounds of counter weight (loaded tires, wheel weights, attachments) for my loader that has 3100 # to full height and 5000 breakout.

My Kubota 3410 has loaded tires and usually a Gannon boxblade at 900+ pounds and I almost never feel rear light. That's about 160% of the loaders capacity....

If there was a rule of thumb, it is probably 150% of loader capacity in counterweight.

Have fun!
John_Bud

/ Loaded Tires VS Ballast Box #17  
I just bought a BX23 and went with loaded tires. I did this because I plan to have the backhoe off most of the time and I didn't want to have to install the 3 point hitch just to hold a ballast box. I went with turf tires to save my grass and wanted some extra weight to regain some of the traction I'm sacrificing by not using AGs.

The advantage of a ballast box is that you can remove it whenever you want and also easily adjust the weight. It's not as easy to simply unload your tires but the advantage loaded tires have is it keeps the center of gravity lower and it doesn't add weight to the axle (it's "unsprung" weight if you will).

As RaT points out you're not going to gain a whole lot of weight loading BX tires. I think it's about 100 lbs each, nothing near the 600 lbs he would get per tire on his L3830. Still it's proportional to the size of the tractor, I'm sure the overall weight of BX is allot less then a L3830.

Not to further complicate your decision but wheel weights are also always an option. I doubt anyone could argue there is a single "right" way or "wrong" way but I'm sure everyone would agree that when you get that bucket loaded down you'll want plenty of weight on the back to keep it planted to Tera Firma.