loader cutting edge

/ loader cutting edge #1  

chuck172

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti DK40SEH, Ford 4500TLB, Ford 8n
I bent the end of my bolt-on loader cutting edge. I tried heating, straightening with a o/a rosebud, but not too successful.
Should I just leave it off? I don't really use the loader that much for grading. No asphalt or concrete to scrape. My old 4500 tlb survived for decades without one.
I don't want to wear down the bucket either, the machine's only a year old.
I am considering a piranah blade to aid in pulling out Jap barberry sometimes in the future.

/ loader cutting edge #2  
I don't know I don't have one on mine chuck. I thought about getting one a couple of times, but never have. I kinda thought that if the original edge were to wear down too much, I would just take some 7018 and build it up a bit. Its cheap and easy. I haven't seen significant wear in about 275 hours of mostly loader work.

/ loader cutting edge #3  
I bent the end of my bolt-on loader cutting edge. I tried heating, straightening with a o/a rosebud, but not too successful.
Should I just leave it off? I don't really use the loader that much for grading. No asphalt or concrete to scrape. My old 4500 tlb survived for decades without one.
I don't want to wear down the bucket either, the machine's only a year old.
I am considering a piranah blade to aid in pulling out Jap barberry sometimes in the future.

It is a new tractor!
Why not just buy a replacement cutting edge, and have someone weld it on?
I bought a new 66"x1/2" edge from an online seller for $150 delivered, last year.
Get a professional to weld it on though.
It needs to be very carefully, and slowly, "skip welded" to avoid buckling.

/ loader cutting edge #4  
Take it to a shop with a press and pay to have it straightened

/ loader cutting edge #5  
^
That is what I would do too. A welding shop or fab shop, and some garages have a press

gg

/ loader cutting edge #6  
^
That is what I would do too. A welding shop or fab shop, and some garages have a press

gg

Or buy one from Harbor freight for less than the cost of a new cutting edge, and you will always have it.:)

/ loader cutting edge #7  
Bent mine a while back, I just used a press and straightened it. After I bolted it back on I welded the edges to the bucket, just enough to add support to the ends of the cutting edge.

Attachments

• image-2966148701.jpg
    image-2966148701.jpg
    609.5 KB · Views: 263
   / loader cutting edge #8  
If you already have an intended purpose for the Piranah Bar, why not go ahead with it? Reasonably cheap, and I never hear anyone say they regret the purchase. Given the amount of TBN discussion about them, that's pretty amazing. You have a new machine and the PB will not only help you with a planned project, along with many others I'm sure, but also protect your bucket.

I do have a Piranah Bar and if I bought another machine it would likely be the first add-on.

/ loader cutting edge #9  
I bent mine like Countrybumpkin, and had my dealer drill two more equidistant bolt holes closer to the bucket's edges, (one for each side) and bolted it in place. I'd keep it and use it if you have it, no sense messing up the OEM bucket edge, and it sure does add rigidity to the entire bucket for digging, back blading, etc. I wouldn't go back to not having it. When I found out it was available I immediately got one.
Adding the bolts will keep the bending from repeating, and it's still reversible, in case I live long enough to need to.:thumbsup:

/ loader cutting edge #10  
my 61" hd bucket came factory drilled for a additional cutting edge. Where do you buy just the edge? Aftermarket or jd?