Local dealer gone

/ Local dealer gone #11  
The concept of big box stores like Lowes or HD selling (but not servicing) outdoor equipment isn't ideal. My elderly neighbor bought a big Cub Cadet garden tractor, too big to fit in a standard pickup, so we had to borrow a trailer to get it home for him. After a week, it stopped working, no obvious problem he could fix himself. Sure, it had a warrantee, but no home service unless he paid a fee (too much he thought) so he paid $75 for someone to pick it up and take it in... then he waited weeks with nothing happening on repairs until he remembered a 45 day return policy at HD-and bought another new one. This was during the mowing season, and he needed it! 6 months later, I saw his old tractor for sale at the same HD (a name tag hanging from the steering wheel gave it away) for full price. And the CEO of HD just got "fired" with a $210 mil. severance package! Is life fair, or what? I also noticed Sam's Club displaying a midsized Massey Freg. CUT tractor for sale. You haul?

/ Local dealer gone
Varmint
Your story is a going to become more and more common. Unfortunately most of these sales will last beyond 45 day return policy. I am all for consumerism but this plan has a lot of potential for angry customers.
Jd has become very familiar marketing their image. I have seen cups, bottle openers, thermometers, clocks, dish towels, socks, oven mits, coasters and the more common hats, shirts etc. I'm waiting to see my first JD jock strap, condom or whatever.

/ Local dealer gone #13  
This whole scenario is bad. I am not picking out John Deere but just the concept. We will get better prices by buying at the Big Box Stores. But at the other end when we need service that is where we will take it in the shorts. Dealers can keep their labor rates down because they can make profits off equipment. You take that equipment away from them and they won't have a choice but to raise the parts and the labor rates. I don't like it and I would never buy something like a compact tractor from a Big Box Store. Even if I was a true dedicated John Deere Fan I would not buy one from a Big Box Store.

murph

/ Local dealer gone #14  
My local JD dealer is now a part of 13 others! Every time I go in there are new people there and the one's I thought I new were not around! It looks as tho they are doing a good business in front (sales) but I don't see as much going on in the shop as I have in the past.
Leo

/ Local dealer gone #15  
I have seen a few small service dealers in my area not performing service on certain brand equipment purchased from certain stores. I think this trend will continue until some of the certain stores either get better merchandise, offer service themselves, or offer value added warrenty means.

So it really is buyer beware, not only must you educated in the product, you need to be aware of the service quality that product may require and actually where it is applicable to get service at.

-Mike Z.

/ Local dealer gone #16  
The local JD dealer here just went into receivership. All 6 of their branches are closed and a Deere PR guy interviewed by the local paper said they don't know when they might find a replacement dealer or dealers. That leaves an awful lot of customers with no service close by. I was talking with a fellow yesterday who works at a place that leases JD equipment for their business and they had ordered 5 new tractors for delivery this spring. They now are thinking about switching to another brand. Not a good situation all around.

/ Local dealer gone #17  
I think this trend is due to several factors, but I believe that Deere wants to have fewer dealers, kind of like Caterpillar, where they do not undercut each other. And they are stronger financially, and can retain employees better. I think that the Lowes deal might work out for them, they will get the service work, warranty ( Deere pays for that ) and they don't have to worry about traded in equipment. Obviuosly, if a dealer is going under, it is bad. Several years ago, one in this area went under when the price of used equipment, big combines and tractors tanked. But most businesses will fail at some point. It's the way our system works.

/ Local dealer gone #18  
Most of your comments are true, I was shopping for a cub cadet zero turn at home depot until I asked about warranty repairs.
When they gave me the (take it to this other dealer story) I walked out and bought it from a cub stocking dealer, not only was it cheaper, but they assembled it too.

In Salem Oregon,The JD. dealer sold 200 mowers a year until home depot showed up at the scene, the dealer sold 20 the next year, and the following year he folded up rather than just do service for the depot.

/ Local dealer gone #19  
radman1 said:
I live in a city or over 250,000 and only one other Kubota dealer with CUT's. I think JD is making a big mistake in this region and will have poor service, repairs and parts availability. There are 4 JD ag dealers in the area, all 20-40 miles away. The only winner in this situation will be the Kubota dealer.

I think what those of us on this here tend to forget is the John Deere is an Ag and Construction company who happens to sell of few lawnmowers and cuts. John Deere sell combines for over $300,000, several tactor models for over $200,000, planters and drills for $75,000, and $40,000 balers. I don't know much about construction equipment but I am sure the prices are even higher there. Because of that John Deere's buisness plan is going to focus on that market and on Ag/constuction dealers.
Also, people who live in the city are used to having everything within a couple miles of there home. Most of us in ag communities(which is JD's priority) think 20-40 miles is close to home. I go that far for to find a movie theater or a bowling ally. If you want a mall you have to 60+ miles.

/ Local dealer gone #20  
face facts. throw away society , consumerism, etc... breeds competition for cheapest prices and the big guys always win.

side effect is the mom and pops going the way of the passenger pigeon.

there aren't any corner drugstores or local banks anymore,no service stations,etc....

times changed.