Locked in the Car and Unable to get Out - Food for Thought

/ Locked in the Car and Unable to get Out - Food for Thought #111  
I mentioned this thread and the glass breaker/seatbelt cutter tool to my wife. She said she had one of those but didn't know where it was. This makes the one that's attached to the key chain even more appealing. The rub is that her car has a keyless ignition.

/ Locked in the Car and Unable to get Out - Food for Thought #112  
Shame they did away with window cranks.

/ Locked in the Car and Unable to get Out - Food for Thought #113  
Who the hell cranks a car until the battery is dead?
Three out of four daughters, and their mother.

Re window cranks: The GSA insisted that all vehicles have manual windows, because back in the sixties power windows were an option which cost about ten percent of the cost of the vehicle.

They paid to delete the power doors, after they had become standard, and not an option. They paid to delete them, until all the manufacturers finally told them, “No, deleting power doors, and installing manual doors is not an option, because we would have to make custom window regulators, lock mechanisms, and door panels.”

They also paid to delete standard radios, until the manufacturers refused to make block off plates.

And you are required to run the lowest octane available at the pump. I had a pickup, which recommended 92-octane. Lowest at the pump was 85-octane. The engine management system will ****** timing, and enrich the fuel mixture to minimize detonation. Which kills the fuel economy. I told our fleet manager, that if I floored it under load, it detonated enough, that i could probably destroy the motor. I drove it as my vehicle for 5-years, and it got passed down to a summer hire. He blew the engine in three weeks, by trying to pull a steep grade at 65-mph.

/ Locked in the Car and Unable to get Out - Food for Thought #114  
Who the hell cranks a car until the battery is dead?
People who go to weekly rug hooking sessions at the town library.

/ Locked in the Car and Unable to get Out - Food for Thought #115  
I don't miss them. The last few company trucks which had them, the passenger side window would go down slightly on rough roads. After a while they would start whistling, and I'd have to pull over and roll it back up.
It's nice when the window is fogged or dirty to put it down at intersections, to check for oncoming traffic.
I've had just one power window fail, when the wiring harness developed a bad connection. I've had problems with several crank windows.

I'll remember these words when I slide off the road into the river, and can't get the windows to go down .:eek:

/ Locked in the Car and Unable to get Out - Food for Thought #116  
I've been leery of window cranks ever since I saw the chicken run scene in the 1955 movie "Rebel Without a Cause".;)

Skip forward to 1:14

Yeah, I know, it's a door handle but it could have easily been the window crank. 😄

Last edited: